Favourite/Least Favourite "Concert Versions"?

King Mark

I'm talking about the concert version,nothing to do with the theme itself beeing good or bad.

Favourite:

Hedwig's Theme

Harry's Wondrous World

Fawkes the Phoenix

The Patriot,Suite

Anakin's Theme

Theme From Jurassic Park

Flight to Neverland

SpaceCamp,Theme

Always,Medley

Yoda's Theme

Han Solo and the Princess

Princess Leia's theme

Out to Sea/The Shark Cage Fugue

Least Favourite:

Parade of the Ewoks

The Midway March

Luke and Leia.

The Flying Theme(i don't like it alone as a concert version)

Superman Love Theme

Jaws,Theme

of all the "action" oriented tracks,I usually prefer the score version:Asteroid Field,The Bycicle Chase,The Barrel Chase...ect

K.M.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite is indeed Cadillac of the Skies. The main theme is played in the beginning (from the track Home, Hearth and Toy Planes), and next the Cadillac of the Skies theme, which leads to a final subtle rendition of the main theme. Awesome.

Great idea, especially for this lull in JW scores.

Favorites:

Far and Away End Credits

Fawkes the Phoenix

E.T. Flying Theme

Flight to Neverland

March from Superman

Theme from Jurassic Park (version with both main themes)

March from 1941

Somewhere in My Memory

Love Theme from Superman

Dry Your Tears, Afrika

The Patriot

Hediwg's Theme

Harry's Wondrous World

Love Theme from AOTC

Least favorite:

Sugarland Express Theme

Look Down, Lord

Luke and Leia

Recollections

Ray Barnsbury

I'm talking about the concert version,nothing to do with the theme itself beeing good or bad.

Favourite:

Hedwig's Theme

Harry's Wondrous World

Fawkes the Phoenix

The Patriot,Suite

Anakin's Theme  

Theme From Jurassic Park

Flight to Neverland

SpaceCamp,Theme

Always,Medley

Yoda's Theme

Han Solo and the Princess

Princess Leia's theme

Out to Sea/The Shark Cage Fugue

Least Favourite:

Parade of the Ewoks

The Midway March

Luke and Leia.

The Flying Theme(i don't like it alone as a concert version)

Superman Love Theme

Jaws,Theme

K.M.

Superman Love Theme is a least favorite??

Ouch- that's a beautiful one. Also worth mentioning (if nothing else because of their popularity on compilation discs) The Forest Battle, and March of the Slave Children. . . . and oh yeah that obscure little - number called Duel of the Fates. . .

I love John Neufeld´s arrangement of "Star of Bethlehem" than the version on the original soundtrack. Also the Love Theme from Superman, I mean, one of the most beautiful tunes ever written. I love the orchestrations with plenty of pizicato. Very romantic and sweet.

:) Williams American Collection Theme

Yo-Yo Ma, cello

Recording Arts Orchestra of Los Angeles (no doubt)

John Williams

By far my favorite is Scherzo for motorcycle and orchestra on the JW greatest hits 1969-1999 cd. On the regular OST- the piece is nothing special, and IMO ulistenable. on the greatest hits CO- it is probably my favorite JW theme after the Imperial March. It has a whole structure and rythem that is captivating. I find it hard to believe that both version came from the same conception of the theme. the CO version tells a story, and it's fantastic. The other seems like mindless filler music.

Superman Love Theme is a least favorite??  

what I'm saying is that if I want to listen to it,I listen to "The Flying Sequence" on the O.S.T(Rhino version without Kidder narration),which is much bettter IMO

If I want to Listen to The Flying Theme from E.T.,then I play the E.T. End Credits or E.T.'s Halloween(because i don't think the theme carries well if it's stretched for 3 minutes).

Luke and Leia is terrific in Brother and Sister,but the concert version is soooo slow and boring(though the Utha version isn't bad),I get impatient listening to it around the middle.

K.M.

I usually go the other way around, I play the concert versions intead of anything else. Then in some special ocassion I might listen to the soundtrack.

NP. Cincinnati Reds at San Diego Padres

0-2

7th inning

what I'm saying is that if I want to listen to it,I listen to "The Flying Sequence" on the O.S.T(Rhino version without Kidder narration),which is much bettter IMO

I agree.

If I want to Listen to The Flying Theme from E.T.,then I play the E.T. End Credits or E.T.'s Halloween(because i don't think the theme carries well if it's stretched for 3 minutes).

:music:

Luke and Leia is terrific in Brother and Sister,but the concert version is soooo slow and boring(though the Utha version isn't bad),I get impatient listening to it around the middle.

bowdown

The most intelligent post i've read in the last weeks.

:P still The Claim, Michael Nyman

In general I LOVE almost all of Williams' concert arrangements, Imperial March, Superman March, Star Wars Main Title, Cowboys Overture... there are too many too name. But here are a few that boggle my mind...

'Adventures on Earth' Why he changed it, I have no idea... It is perfect the way that it is in the film. He didn't need to remove the climax of the piece, where the boys lift off.

'Devils Dance' Why he (1) changed the name of the piece and (2) butchered it from the 'Dance of the Witches' version that is on the soundtrack is a complete mystery. I never listen to Devils Dance, I only listen to Dance of the Witches.

'Theme from Jurassic Park' Maybe this doesn't count, but I don't have a problem with the actual arrangement, but it just seems that NO ORCHESTRA OR CONDUCTOR (including JW) has played this anywhere near as well as on the original soundtrack to the first Jurassic Park. Even the version on 'Lost World' is played too fast and with no life to it.

'Jabba The Hutt' Same deal here, no Tuba player has ever come close to the great performance on the ROTJ soundtrack. Also, the concert version of the Jabba theme seems to hint a little too much at Rota's 'The Godfather' theme.

'The Ark Theme' from Raiders of the Lost Ark. My complaint is that there is no concert version of this truly wonderful theme! As far as I know, the only pieces from the Raiders score to get a concert arrangement is the March and The Basket Game (both wonderful!)

'Theme from Always' I don't have a problem with it but whats wrong with 'Among the Clouds'? I'd like to hear a rerecording of this piece, in full, and that wonderful French Horn solo.

:music: Close Encounters of the Third Kind

:P

I disagree, I think it´s perfect. I always include this selection in plenty of compilations I´ve made, and when I choose the themes for each movie to include I always put it in the middle of the Star Wars main theme and "The Imperial March".

:music: Poledouris "Anvil of Crom" from conan the Barbarian

Cincinnati Pops Orchestra

Erich Kunzel

I disagree, I think it´s perfect. I always include this selection in plenty of compilations I´ve made, and when I choose the themes for each movie to include I always put it in the middle of the Star Wars main theme and "The Imperial March".

Erich Kunzel

Same here. I love the concert version of L&L, I just wish it was used in the movie more.

In general I LOVE almost all of Williams' concert arrangements, Imperial March, Superman March, Star Wars Main Title, Cowboys Overture... there are too many too name.  But here are a few that boggle my mind...

'Adventures on Earth'  Why he changed it, I have no idea...  It is perfect the way that it is in the film.  He didn't need to remove the climax of the piece, where the boys lift off.

As for this is a concert piece, Williams wanted to cover the entire finale music, and my guess is he did not wanted to play the theme twice in the piece. I love what he added to the piece.

'Devils Dance'  Why he (1) changed the name of the piece and (2) butchered it from the 'Dance of the Witches' version that is on the soundtrack is a complete mystery.  I never listen to Devils Dance, I only listen to Dance of the Witches.

The Devil´s Dance sounds better in its concert version form.

'Theme from Jurassic Park'  Maybe this doesn't count, but I don't have a problem with the actual arrangement, but it just seems that NO ORCHESTRA OR CONDUCTOR (including JW) has played this anywhere near as well as on the original soundtrack to the first Jurassic Park.  Even the version on 'Lost World' is played too fast and with no life to it.

That is true, both recordings done by Williams are played too fast on the first theme. The fanfare is played perfect on the Boston Pops recording, and I like the addition to baroque-like trumpets almost at the end.

'Jabba The Hutt'  Same deal here, no Tuba player has ever come close to the great performance on the ROTJ soundtrack.  Also, the concert version of the Jabba theme seems to hint a little too much at Rota's 'The Godfather' theme.

Both recordings of the piece, Boston Pops ans Skywalker, are great. In Jedi the theme is sprinkled through out you can´t grasp the entire theme to say what you say. I wonder if Williams did record the concert piece with London

'The Ark Theme' from Raiders of the Lost Ark.  My complaint is that there is no concert version of this truly wonderful theme!  As far as I know, the only pieces from the Raiders score to get a concert arrangement is the March and The Basket Game (both wonderful!)

I think of the Ark theme that you speak of more of a motif. What´s needed, though is a concert version of "Marion´s Theme"

'Theme from Always'  I don't have a problem with it but whats wrong with 'Among the Clouds'?  I'd like to hear a rerecording of this piece, in full, and that wonderful French Horn solo.

I love the low key, quiet, and peaceful aspects of the piece, but I don´t know the film score, so can´t tell you much about it.

:music: Luke and Leia

The Boston Pops Orchestra

John Williams

'Jabba The Hutt'  Same deal here, no Tuba player has ever come close to the great performance on the ROTJ soundtrack.  Also, the concert version of the Jabba theme seems to hint a little too much at Rota's 'The Godfather' theme.

Both recordings of the piece, Boston Pops ans Skywalker, are great. In Jedi the theme is sprinkled through out you can´t grasp the entire theme to say what you say. I wonder if Williams did record the concert piece with London

I'm talking about the bit after Han Solo is rescued. In the film, there is no music, but on the OST there is a full statement of Jabbas theme. Thats what I like. The concert version ends with an arrangement very similar to this, but the tuba performances are never as good.

Erich Kunzel

Same here. I love the concert version of L&L, I just wish it was used in the movie more.

I've always kind of had this thing for quoting quotes of quotes of other quotes. I think it's the artistic symmetry that gets me. If anyone would like to quote me, feel free.

Regarding L&L . . .

I would whole-heartedly add my agreement to the affectionate posts regarding what is one of my favorites.

For me at least, the beautiful horn solo at the begining is one of the most memorable moments in JW literature.

'Adventures on Earth'  Why he changed it, I have no idea...  It is perfect the way that it is in the film.  He didn't need to remove the climax of the piece, where the boys lift off.

I also highly prefer the original, but I think the biggest reason for the edit was time. A 15:04 track on a compilation album can be enough to make some production directors break out all over.

Not that I agree . . .

'Theme from Jurassic Park' Maybe this doesn't count' date=' but I don't have a problem with the actual arrangement' date=' but it just seems that NO ORCHESTRA OR CONDUCTOR (including JW) has played this anywhere near as well as on the original soundtrack to the first Jurassic Park. Even the version on 'Lost World' is played too fast and with no life to it.[/quote'']

That is true, both recordings done by Williams are played too fast on the first theme. The fanfare is played perfect on the Boston Pops recording, and I like the addition to baroque-like trumpets almost at the end.

I agree,all the re-recordings are off tempo and that is enough to ruin the majesty of the theme.Plus,in the OST version there's a choir!

K.M.

John Williams

true,but more important for me is that Williams re-wrote some string flourishes I love in the original version of the Goodbye Scene.

He did exactly the same thing on his CE3K suite (music when the spaceship lifts off).

That's why still prefer the originals.

K.M.

Erich Kunzel recorded "Marion's Theme"

Neil

Speaking of Marion's theme,the version on the new Indy compilation(Prague Philarmonic) is amazing.The strings are awsome.

K.M.

I agree,all the re-recordings are off tempo and that is enough to ruin the majesty of the theme.Plus,in the OST version there's a choir!

As much as I like the chorus, I don´t miss it in the concert version

Erich Kunzel recorded "Marion's Theme" on the "Movie Love Themes" album. I have not heard it.  

Neil

I need to get it!!

true,but more important for me is that Williams re-wrote some string flourishes I love in the original version of the Goodbye Scene.  

He did exactly the same thing on his CE3K suite (music when the spaceship lifts off).

Exactly. I love that.

That's why still prefer the originals.

I prefer both.

As far as the Harry Potter themes are concerned,the concert versions rule because they are much more satisfying than the variations played out throught the film,which are (for the most part except a few exceptions) too short,underdevelopped,or relatively similar.Hedwig's theme is always nearly the same,and Harry's theme gets a few rousing renditions through the scores,but never lasting more than 15 seconds or so,and I always feel like the cue should would be better if it was somewhat extended.

K.M.

Harry Potter´s music is the better and most interesting aspect of the whole, umm, thing. And from the music, the themes are even more important than the acompanyng score to these, ahem, films. I hope Williams does record the Potter suite, I want to hear "Diagon Alley" and "Quidditch", amoing others. I love Fawkes, but in the film it appears very rarely, just like "The Chamber of Secrets".

:music: Ravel Piano Concerto in G

Philharmonia Orchestra

Leonard Bernstein, piano and condutor

What I mean is that whenever Williams came up with some interesting orchestration for one of the themes, you only get a 5 second passage in the cue before the music reverts to some unrelated underscore.

I also whan to add randomly that the Jaws-Main Theme concert arrangement (BPops version)has the worst finales Williams has ever composed.

and the Ewok theme sucks both in it's few film appearances and the concert version :music:

Flight to Neverland is prime example of a great concert arrangement,because it combines a highlight of the score("Peter is Flying") with a great segment of the End Credits(second half).All that's missing is the "Exit Music" that's on the boot to end it.

K.M.who likes this thread :P

I prefer film and album versions 98% of the time. I rarely care for re-recordings, but there are a few. And even in those cases, I consider them extensions of the original score, and not better or worse than the score itself.

I often do like hearing them best within the structure of the film score. But at the same time, the concert versions stand alone by themselves, hence they make for either an exension or an entirely seperate and stand-alone listening piece. Often I think of them as overtures, or intermissions, like in the old days of film.

I love Fawkes, but in the film it appears very rarely, just like "The Chamber of Secrets".  

both appear nearly complete in the film before the finale scene of the film.

Nobody has yet mentioned The Forest Battle. A great start, it sags a little with the Ewok-orientated middle, but the finish is fantastic! I heard this live in the Royal Albert Hall and it was my favourite cue of the concert. Simply superb.

I wish Johnny would create a concert version of "The Arena Battle", similar to The Forest Battle. *Including* his original material for the scene. Now wouldn't that kick major arse? I feel that in the future, he's only going to use material from CMIYC for the 2002 year in his concerts, forgetting AOTC, the second HP and Minority Report.

Nobody has yet mentioned The Forest Battle. A great start, it sags a little with the Ewok-orientated middle, but the finish is fantastic! I heard this live in the Royal Albert Hall and it was my favourite cue of the concert. Simply superb.

I did mention it earlier in the thread.

Also worth mentioning (if nothing else because of their popularity on compilation discs) The Forest Battle, and March of the Slave Children. . . . and oh yeah that obscure little - number called Duel of the Fates. . .

Forest Battle is one of my faves as well. Shoot, as far as I'm concerned, suites like this could easily hold up in a concert of classic orchestral works.

-right in between the Beethoven and the Mendelssohn . . .

(kidding about the style but not about it being able to hold its own in a concert)

• 5 months later...
I prefer film and album versions 98% of the time.

You're loss.

I often do like hearing them best within the structure of the film score. But at the same time, the concert versions stand alone by themselves, hence they make for either an exension or an entirely seperate and stand-alone listening piece. Often I think of them as overtures, or intermissions, like in the old days of film.

But some of film music, and most of Williams music stands by itself, with no necesity of the film whatsoever.

;) Williams Theme from Seven Years in Tibet

Yo-Yo Ma, cello

Recording Arts Orchestra of Los Angeles

John Williams

Of course it's always interesting to hear every note from the maestro's hand (or as many as possible), but perhaps the primary legacy of JW's music in a serious classical sense will be in the concert suites.

It would seem that when JW arranges a concert suite, what he is infusing into his music is a greater conciseness and unity of form that is not possible with OST cues.

The advantage of that is removed though by all the missing great music of a OST. I have no problem with the form of film score, and don't think it has to be made into a suite.

But there's a lot of film music that ends unsatisfactoryly (I don't know how to spell that). One example that is in my mind is the track "Maid Marian" in Kamen's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. I wish Kamen had done a version with a better ending. That is just one example, I'm a wee bit distracted, and cannot think of more now.

I think that without a doubt the biggest improvement from the film to Concert version is Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra. On the OST, it's a nice action piece. The Concert Version, which I have on the JW:Greatest hits 69-99, is one of the best pieces ever written for a movie. It's fantastic, a dynamic piece, with a brilliant structure. I still can't gett over how he gradually interchanges the two sections of it, eventualy turning what was the small intro into the main bad guy theme.

The advantage of that is removed though by all the missing great music of a OST. I have no problem with the form of film score, and don't think it has to be made into a suite.

I don't see why. People like us who enjoy the whole OST can hear it on the recording. The concert suites only provided more options for orchestras and result in JW stuff being programmed more often.

Apparently, they do meet a need since so many concerts and compilations choose to include them.

I don't see why. People like us who enjoy the whole OST can hear it on the recording. The concert suites only provided more options for orchestras and result in JW stuff being programmed more often.

Yes that's true, but I was refering to people who tend to say film music doesn't work well unless made into a concert piece. They have their advantages for concerts and best of CD's.