Power outages in U.S. northeast

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's damn funny watching americans behave like it's WW3 because of this though:))

I'm sure all the people trapped in elevators don't think it's funny. I'm sure the same goes for people on dialysis machines.

Try showing a little respect.

Oh, and I never lost power.

Neil

It's damn funny watching americans behave like it's WW3 because of this though:))

I'm sure all the people trapped in elevators don't think it's funny. I'm sure the same goes for people on dialysis machines.

Try showing a little respect.

Oh, and I never lost power.

Neil

Don't be so grave. I was only commenting the pictures of "fleeing" New Yorkers in the streets. I thought cars worked on gasoline, not electricity.

Harry and others who are worried are right. It's not funny at all. In the morning radio news here in the Czech Rep. they said the act of terrorism could be wholly excluded, while now, only six hours later, though still rather in terms of unconfirmed speculations, nothing is as incontestable as it seemed earlier today.

Whatever the reason, let's just hope the blackout is overwith soon and that it all had been happenstance only.

Roman.-)

Well the ones who have lost power aren't going to be able to tell us about it. ;)

Anyway Neil glad to see you still have power. Jeez I never thought about people getting stuck in elevators. Freaky. 8O

Justin -Glad he lives in a small town where people hardly notice if the power goes out. :nono:

Those of us up here in Toronto Canada were without power for 12 hours and there are some smaller towns that will be without for the entire weekend. Simon R, obviously you lack the compassion or natural goodwill toward your fellow man that most North AMericans showed toward Europe during the 2nd World War. I don't think it's funny to trivialize an event as disrupting as this. Remember that people in subway cars in both NewYork and Toronto were trapped for hours in the underground in the stiffling heat. There's no auxilary power so these people were crammed together and unable to even get out of the subway cars for air in the pitrch black. I cannot nor do I want to think about how terrified those people were. The next time you feel the urge to make some assinine comment about something this serious, DON'T!!!!

Harry: Nope, can't say I have.

Lol...let me just say it's interesting, perhaps even scary. When the traffic lights are not working, in the US the intersection is supposed to be treated as a four-way stop. However, many people do not know this, so they just go right through the intersection without looking or being curtious to other drivers. So, driving without working traffic lights is both a scary and dangerous adventure, and if you value your life and your car, you will avoid driving.

I was without power yesterday for about 6 hours, but, obviously, I have it back now. :nono:

~Harry

Oh boy do I have a story about the power outages!

First off, yes I do live in CT. So we had no power all day yesterday...but that aspect didn't really matter to me because I wasn't home all day, I was at 6 Flags up at the border of CT and MA.

Well, for all of you that aren't familiar with Six Flags...they have a ride there called Batman The Dark Knight. It's a really complex rollercoaster with hanging seats, loops, turns.

Well, as I was finally in the seat and about to get going (after literally 2 hours of waiting in line) we started up the huge lift towards the first drop.

Just as we were about half way up...suddenly the car stops, and it goes downwards a little bit...scared the "bleep" out of me! We just sat there for about 7 minutes, almost vertically, until finally the backup power, or maybe the actual power went back on. Very very scary.

lord have mercy!!!!!!! If I was on a ride or in an elevator, i would have had a heart attack. I'm very paranoid about being trapped, it's one of my phobias!!!!!!! I hope everyone is alright.

Jeez I never thought about people getting stuck in elevators. Freaky. :nono:

I have thought about this before, and I never found the idea overly scary (as long as you aren't trapped for hours with noone having any idea where you are and noone bothering to look in the elevator).

What I did NOT think about before was that when you're stuck because of a power outage, you don't have any light in there either!

Marian - 8O

wow i can't believe the gall of some of the members on this board.

I feel so bad for all those people who were stuck without power. I can't even imagine what could have gone on in department stores and grocery stores, on top of the elevators, traffic lights subways. . etc etc etc......It's not just our country, can you imagine the mayhem in other places if this had taken place there? Honk Kong? Paris? They would have been freaked just as much.

Just as we were about half way up...suddenly the car stops, and it goes downwards a little bit...scared the "bleep" out of me!  We just sat there for about 7 minutes, almost vertically, until finally the backup power, or maybe the actual power went back on.  Very very scary.

just imagining that scares me!

K.M.

My little corner of Southwest Michigan was briefly without power yesterday and we are still being warned to be conservative with using it or we could experience more blackouts.

I don't even want to imagine being trapped in an elevator or subway for an extended period of time! :nono:

~Mari

Ugh, I truly feel bad for those stuck on rides, elevators, subways, trains, etc. I was without power here in mid-Michign from 4 pm until 1 am, and we were so glad to have it come back on. I realize how spoiled I am, as I was stewing about not being able to watch TV, movies, get online, play video games, or use lights or AC (thankfully, we have a generator and could use it a little bit for certain things). Anyway, I'm glad there were no major crises, though I'm sure it was very traumatic for many.

Ray Barnsbury

My brother-in-law was visiting Times Square when the blackout occurred. He made it back OK. It was good that the situation wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Electricity is something we all take for granted sometimes. I remember in 1979 when Hurricane David slammed the East coast (or rather, it had become a fairly nasty tropical storm by that point), we had no power for about three days. Our street was like one the last to have its power restored, which meant we got to eat out for most of our meals. (Our stove was electric, so my mom was unable to cook.) ;)

It was also sweet because school was cancelled that week. But it was not that great all the same because we had to make that up on top of all the snow days we had. :(

For me, that means no JW Boston Pops concert tonight on PBS.

:sigh: You have my pity. I think I'd rather take the elevator trap than missing that. I don't even get PBS here though....

Anyway, hopefully something will be done about this to stop it in the future, so that America won't embarrass itself infront of the world again. ;)

Actually, the local PBS affiliate came on within an hour of airtime for EaP, so I caught it anyway!

It was a totally awesome show, too. Even though a few things were added to the orchestration, "Indy's Very First Adventure" was fantastic. Then the Catch Me If You Can pieces were icing on the cake. (Especially "Reflections/Recollections")

Anyway, hopefully something will be done about this to stop it in the future, so that America won't embarrass itself infront of the world again. :sigh:

I liked it better when you weren't posting here. It's irresponsible of me to say that, but there is a lot of anti-American sentiment in this thread and there is absolutely no need for that and all of it makes me mad.

If you don't have anything constructive to add, than just shut up and post your nonsense elsewhere. There's no room for it here at this board.

Neil