Saving Episode III.

JoeinAR

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant of course the Star Wars saga, not just episode IV.

You know what I was talking about.

Romão, who still thinks episode IV, in the overal context of the saga, is the weakest of all starwars movies.

Merkel, I never met you. I don't know you but somehow something is telling me you regard Alien 4 as a masterpiece, am I right? And in overall context of the essence of the alien you believe Alien 1 is the weakest of them all, is that not so?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Romão, who still thinks episode IV, in the overal context of the saga, is the weakest of all starwars movies.

Acctually because Star Wars was first that would make the sequels un-Star Warsyish. It makes sense that the point of the Star Wars movies...are star wars. Also if Darth Vader not been redeemed and Luke had been forced to kill him, it would have made the movie darker and more emotional at the end. They could have left the movie with the thought, "Everyone has the Dark Side in themselves."

Justin -Putting to much thought into this. :music:

No, your not Justin,

Joe, who really likes what Justin wrote.

And I ner said Episode IV was bad movie. But the characters are so hollow when compared to ESB and ROTJ.

I think the sequels actually make it look weaker that as a stand alone film, which, of all starwars movies, is the only one subject of that denomination.

Harrison Ford's character was at an all time low in ROTJ, what are you saying! Where was his presence? I couldn't feel anything. Just like those short TFN Fanfilms. He was so boring it was shameful.

Yoda only just appeared and already he was dying. That scene was a joke (There's another One/It's Leia, isn't it?) It had written"let's get on with it" all over that scene.

What was so deep about the whole Jabba scene other than being childish?

What was so deep about the whole Ewoks scene other than being astronomical childish?

Other than that, it looked the same as all TFN Fanfilms with a forrest used as a set. Star Wars and trees don't mix very well. If you have no money for making a SF movie, shoot it in a forrest!

Only the Luke/Vader/Emperor confrontation is worthy of being named Star Wars.

George had (as proven in the prequels) already changed by then. He even wants to alter history by deleting the originals which made his name, gave him awards, power and indepence. But, after ESB, what did he do with it? He made sure he kept his position, his ranch, his power and indepence. He stayed in line. He didn't show any creativity (he did show bad taste with Howard the Duck). He didn't take any chances while he easily could have.

At least Spielberg used his powers and made The Color Purple or Empire of the Sun. If you see Spielberg you really feel he loves movies and he enjoys making them. I don't feel this when I observe Lucas in the DVD documentaries. I see no passion. I see a businessman and his big factory.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Don't you know how much better that restaurant scene in AOTC would have been if you had used Ernest Borgnine instead of the ugly alien.  Have real actors interact, whoa, what a concept.

Are you sayin´ Marty is ugly?

Hector - who just discovered this thread

Naw but the character is, now Marty doesn't exactly have a perty face either.

i have some things here which do make episode III sound hopeful if not very good. Beware of large spoilers!!!

HOPEFUL

-Regarding Ian's intensity in playing Palpatine in Ep3, "Ian doesn't hold anything back."

-an interview with McCallum-

INSIDER: Chewbacca delivers the Skywalker twins to Obi-Wan Kenobi.

McCALLUM: ?Can?t comment.?

INSIDER: By the end of the film, Yoda ends up on Dagobah.

McCALLUM: ?These rumors are pretty good. We?ll see.?

INSIDER: Anakin loses more body parts.

McCALLUM: ?Absolutely.?

INSIDER: We?ll see Darth Sidious wield a lightsaber.

McCALLUM: ?Maybe. If you?re good. Maybe.?

- The film ends on a sad note, though because we know the Classic films, it isn't all that bad.

- Obi-Wan is fighting droids in the underwater tank they've been filming on recently. There is just a fight, no full scale battle.

- The bad guy in Episode III will carry two lightsabers. On an unrelated note, there is a scene where we see Darth Vader getting his name and what it means.

- Palpatine is going to show us the power of the Dark Side. Look out!

NOT SO HOPEFUL (for those who dislike AOTC)

-Everyone is expecting a full blown Star Wars movie - maybe even all action from the sound of it so far. Well, that's actually not the case. It follows a very close structure to Episode II, so I hope you liked that film. There's plenty of action at the beginning, kind of a slow middle then an amazing last hour and ending.

I know this isn't exactly a revolutionary report, but I wanted fans to understand it isn't all action throughout the entire film - there's plot development in the first half of the film for a while then it really heats up. But hey, we get wookiees and Jedi fighting together, so that has to be cool, eh?

- Jar Jar does NOT die in Episode III. (for those who hate Jar Jar)

These are clues mostly been given away on the Hyperspace chats, web cam and set diary. There are more bits of ifo on www.theforce.net

I'm not even going to bother worrying and bashing Ep. III. In fact, I'm excited about it. I've learned to see through AotC's flaws. I've stopped bitching about the poor quality compared to the brilliance of the first two films. I'm not wasting my time on it anymore. I'm going to be open to what Lucas wants these films to be. It's too tiring to keep bitching. 'Nuff said.

- Marc, :)

Finally, Marc. The voice of reason.

I find more in that post than in the other two pages of this thread.

-Ross, not fan of extruciatingly endless prequel discussion.

Ah, Breathmask. Let me put that in perspective. Coca Cola changes the taste of regular coke just because they feel like it. Millions of fans are protesting resulting in the comeback of Coke Classic, a flavor so many love and cherish.

Some people might say, hey, it's their recipe, Coca Cola is the boss, they invented it and they can do whatever they want. Some people might think it not worth worrying about. That it is too tiring, a waste of time and complaining about it is the same as bashing and bitching.

I'm sorry, I can't be like that. It's too passive and it lacks any form of passion. That message would be no more than to agree, accept and be happy. I'm just not like that. I can't help it.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Great analogy, Alex! I remember the madness that insued during the Coke change (my mom almost had to be hospitalized from withdrawal) and it proves a point that is as true of commerical filmmaking as it is the soda pop business: if you don't please your customers, you sure as heck shouldn't be in business, or you won't be for long (or if you do stay alive, you're not making the full potential grosses you could be).

In the 1970s/80s, Spider-Man, as legendary as it is, would never have bested the OT. Not only fans, but the general public were insane for the Star Wars films back then, something that Spider-Man couldn't claim and the new trilogy defintely can't.

brilliance of the first two films

there is not a single brilliant moment in AOTC, there were a moment or two in TPM.

True, Steven. The prequels are lucky that most complainers want to see them anyway hoping that this time George will be in top shape again. If they were really good, word would have spread amongst the hesitaters and box office records would have been smashed numerously.

There was one brilliant moment in TPM and that was the "closing and opening forcefield doors during the Obi/Qui-Gon vs Darth Maul fight" scene. That was a amazing tension builder.

I have to think real hard to find another one.

---------------

Alex Cremers

Hmm...

While I do love the prequels, I'm hardpressed to find any moments of brilliance in them.

MAYBE during QuiGonn's funeral, the camera pans to Palpatine. I just LOOOOOOOVE that shot.

Also perhaps the shot of the trio dueling in the reactor core, the camera tilts upwards and we hear the chorus kicking in. THAT was pretty damn cool, too.

The lights out duel between Anakin and Dooku is the only thing I can think of that could be considered "brilliant" but even then.....nah.......still awesome, though.

The lights out duel between Anakin and Dooku is the only thing I can think of that could be considered "brilliant" but even then.....nah.......still awesome, though.

It was an easy way to avoid showing that Dooku is not really Christoper Lee.

Neil

no that really doesn't matter, in old movies its often obvious that during certain action sequences its not the actor in question, Raiders anyone?

Aren't you forgetting Harold Lloyd, my friends. Now here's a man that did his own stuntwork.

Harrison Ford did most of the normal stuntwork himself. Back then the whole crew couldn't stop bragging about it. I say "normal" because some of the more crazy stuntwork is, of course, performed by his stuntdouble. I would think some unions or insurance companies forbid actors to do dangerous stuntwork all together.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I'm pretty sure he just meant Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back, not TPM and AOTC.

Yes I did. I once had a long discussion with a friend of mine about RotJ and how it could have been SO MUCH BETTER. But in the end, we both came to the conclusion that it's no use bitching about a 20 year old movie, because it's made and it's a done deal. I feel it's the same thing with the prequels. I've heard too much "These are bad movies because they didn't fulfill my expectations"-style arguments. There are flaws in the last three films (ep 6, 1, and 2), and there are many. There are missed opportunities and sometimes things DO get bad. But I love Star Wars - the whole saga - and I'm just excited to see it all come full circle. I want to see what Lucas can make of it. I'm going all the way on this trilogy, and I'll except the story Lucas comes up with. The form of the films may not always be pleasing (but please, let's not turn this into the ten million-gazzillionth "CGI sucks" thread), but I can't wait until all six movies are out, and I can sit down with my fellow Star Wars-fans and watch all six of them in one run.

- Marc

:angry: John Williams - Queen Amidala Warns The Federation from Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace (UE)

Brilliant (more along the lines of good) Moments:

TPM: The opening scene where Qui-Gon starts melting the door and the Force Theme kicks in. Great cue. Great scene.

AOTC: When you hear Yoda walking in the Hangar scene and you think wow! Yoda's going to do something cool!

Justin -Really reaching with that one. :angry:

I love that little moment when Sebulba throws something into some guy's poderacer engine and the guys goes "roaor" before crashing. This is, next to echoota, by fa<vorite little starwars moment.

In TPM, there's one scene that I just love, don't know why. When the Queen is captured on Nabbo (or rather her decoys) and Nute Gunray says "process them". I adore the music, I love the atmosphere of those 2 little minutes. Not sure why, but the all thing is just so absorbing. One of the greatest moments in SW saga...but really, I can't exactly say why.

I agree with you, Merkel, about those "two minutes" that you desribed. It's the little things like that which add to the richness of The Phantom Menace. I also particularly love the scenes underwater, from the swim to Otoh Gunga in which we see the underwater metropolis in all its glory, to the encounters with the many sea monsters. Everything about those scenes is incredible, especailly the great stmosphere created by the images and music.

And rather than singling out a bunch of scenes on Tatooine, I'll just say that I love the entire atmosphere that Lucas captured in these middle scenes on the film. All the hustle and bustle of the city I simply love, and Watto's character sums up what desert cities like Mos Eisley and Mos Espa are about.

As for the end, when those doors open to reveal Darth Maul waiting there, I always feel chills running up and down my spine. When Qui-Gon says "We'll handle this" and the Jedi and Sith take off their cloaks and await combat, I love it! And the entire battle that follows is incredible, with great music might I add.

As for Attack of the Clones, I love the scenes on Kamino, especially when Obi-Wan and Jango Fett meet and when Obi-Wan goes outside to report to Yoda and Mace back on Coruscant. The mystery theme underscore perfectly captures the mood of the scenes as the camera cuts back and forth between the simple, dimly lit room on Coruscant and the raging storms and downpouring on Kamino.

The last half hour of the movie I love just about every minute of, minute the hack-job of the music. The oening battle of the Clone Wars was incredible, as well as the lightsaber duels. But I especially love when Dooku utters the "This is just the beginning!" line before leaving Yoda to save Obi-Wan and Anakin. And the last five minutes of the movie are incredible. The ending is a true climax.

Ted

Hmm...

While I do love the prequels, I'm hardpressed to find any moments of brilliance in them.  

MAYBE during QuiGonn's funeral, the camera pans to Palpatine. I just LOOOOOOOVE that shot.

I always found that camera move to be cheesy and it seems to be in the movie just make fanboys soil their pants. Yoda and Mace talking about the Sith... who could it be... I wonder... [pan to Palpy]...???

TPM is a thoroughly mediocre film. The acting is wooden, the dialogue is to-the-point and unnatural. McDiarmids Palpatine is the only standout performance. The action scenes are standard, sub-par to what was seen in the Original Trilogy. I don't think there is a shred of brilliance in AOTC or TPM. But there are moments I like...

When Anakin mentions that Jedi can't be killed and Qui-gon says, "I wish that were true." Very subtle, makes you wonder what kind of things Qui-gon has done and where he's been.

When R2 and 3PO first meet and 3PO says, "What do you mean, my parts are showing?" and then there is a wipe to the next scene. I found that very Star Wars-ish, just the right dosage of humor and sounds very much like something Original Trilogy 3PO would say.

I love that little moment when Sebulba throws something into some guy's poderacer engine and the guys goes "roaor" before crashing. This is, next to echoota, by fa<vorite little starwars moment.

I found it ridiculous that Sebulba didn't die when he crashed. This is one of many instances that Lucas took the life out of Star Wars. Just as he should have kept Han firing first in ANH, he should have had Sebulba crash and die in the ensuing flames.

As for Attack of the Clones, I love the scenes on Kamino, especially when Obi-Wan and Jango Fett meet and when Obi-Wan goes outside to report to Yoda and Mace back on Coruscant. The mystery theme underscore perfectly captures the mood of the scenes as the camera cuts back and forth between the simple, dimly lit room on Coruscant and the raging storms and downpouring on Kamino.

This is something that I hate about BOTH prequel films so far: the excessive use of holograms.

Why does Obi-Wan stand outside of his starship and communicate to the Jedi in the pouring rain and in the middle of Geonosis? He pretty much screams out loud how his mission is going for anyone nearby to hear. Can't he climb in his speeder and communicate without the hologram.

Why does Nute Gunray appear as a hologram to give the Battle Droids orders? He does this at least twice in the film. Can't he just speak to them, or can't he just type in the commands on his console since they are robots after all.

One things that I find funny is the sitting Darth Sidious hologram. The scene where we first meet Darth Maul, Sidious is sitting at a table as a hologram. It reminds me of Spaceballs when President Skroob is urinating and someone calls him, I picture Sidious sitting on the toilet giving orders. "I told you never call me on this wall, this is an unlisted Wall!!"

Hello, I am new to this so please excuse.

I would like to respectfully submit the very odd idea of waiting for EPISODE III of the STAR WARS saga to come out before making comments about what it will be. Sometimes we overload a film with our expectations of what it should be and become disappointed at what is actually is.

I actually think ATTACK OF THE CLONES was the best of all the STAR WARS films.

By the way, are there any women members?

I would like to respectfully submit the very odd idea of waiting for EPISODE III of the STAR WARS saga to come out before making comments about what it will be.

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. :o

And yes, there are a couple other women posters here.

Welcome aboard!

Neil

Ah, Breathmask. Let me put that in perspective. Coca Cola changes the taste of regular coke just because they feel like it. Millions of fans are protesting resulting in the comeback of Coke Classic, a flavor so many love and cherish.

Some people might say, hey,  it's their recipe, Coca Cola is the boss, they invented it and they can do whatever they want. Some people might think it not worth worrying about. That it is too tiring, a waste of time and complaining about it is the same as bashing and bitching.  

I'm sorry, I can't be like that. It's too passive and it lacks any form of passion. That message would be no more than to agree, accept and be happy. I'm just not like that. I can't help it.

----------------  

Alex Cremers

Oh please....

Gotta be the worst analogy I've seen.

You have to realize by now that Lucas does not have to respond to his fans, as much as you think he does. You have already responded, you bought tickets!!!! Why does he have to tell the story you want? He doesn't have to make these movies!!! He's making them because he wants to tell HIS story, not the one you all want to see. You have already seen it. Everybody here wants Star Wars!!! You already have it!!! Can't do it again!!! It was original, it was fun and it influenced us all and all of us made it possible for Lucas to make these other movies.

Now...

Coke comes along and says hey, lets make a new Coke. What happened? Everybody hated it, nobody bought it. Didn't stop Coke from coming out with Cherry Coke or Vanilla Coke (sequels?) or whatever. The point is Coke might have gotten a lot of hate mail, but the almighty dollar stopped them from making "New" Coke. They responded. No more "New" Coke.

Now...

Apply that to thr Star Wars prequels. WE made it possible for him to tell his stories the way HE wanted to. Lucas must have done something right because Episodes I and II have grossed nearly 1 BILLION dollars worldwide and people are arguing over how Episode III is going to be ruined if Lucas doesn't do the film they want him to do?!!! People have already said they liked them, or at least were interested enough to go see them, regardless if they had a good time or not.

If you think Episode III is going to be as bad as you think, then don't see it. Lucas will get what he deserves. But from the looks of it, it is going to gross beaucomp bucks. Why???

Because he is going to tell a story YOU ALL want to see. Regardless of how bad you supposedly think he is going to screw it up.

:o

Frosty

What I think is that nobody said the Prequel Trilogy had to be another Original Trilogy, how boring would that be? Lucas experimented a new approach, a different style for a different part of the story. Did he do it right? Not in my opinion.

But I don't feel betrayed at all. I'm sure Lucas is very proud of his prequel movies because he's paid a lot of money for them to be exactly as he wanted them. I don't think he planned to make "more Star Wars" but "but more ON the Star Wars" story. You can't expect him to be making the same kind of movies 20 years later, he has got to change, whether for better or worse (it was the second option in my opinion).

Not to mention, that nobody would have liked TPM no matter how he did it. It's impossible for anyone to make a 4th Star Wars movie that'll satisfy everybody, because that movie is different in everybody's heads. You Prequel complainers can't even agree on how to make a decent Prequel Trilogy, and you are just a small portion of all the disappointed fans out there. Of course, people who were satisfied by TPM are obviously unloyal Star Wars and mere fanboys who will honor anything that'll come out of George Lucas' ass. How could it be otherwise.

Bottom line? A lot of people went to see TPM expecting another ANH and they didn't get it. And instead of getting over it and remembering they still have what they had before, they keep on complaining about their 'betrayed' childhood and how nothing is the same. Just like a boy who doesn't get the present he wanted on his birthday. "Oh, you didn't get me just what I wanted, now all the other presents suck". Fine, let your inner child stop breathing until he gets the Episode III he wants. I'd teach him to take another good at what he got instead. Just in case he missed something he liked, in the angry first time.

Frosty, I see you are not very good at reading threads. Your points have already been discussed and explored. Star Wars is NOT doing all it can at the box office. As Ender knows, we, the Complainers, are just a small portion of all the disappointed fans out there. You and Ender talk about the prequels as if they are quality products. ("It's his movie, blah, blah, blah) Different but still quality. (his vision, his story, his this, his that) You think Lucas has changed as a man, as an artist, as a director. I think Lucas has lost whatever it was he once had. And for the last time, he already lost it after Empire. His story, his vision, his movie, the way he is as a man, a director, an artist, changed already in the early 80s. ROTJ is not better and perhaps even worse than the prequels. (except for the Luke/Vader/Emperor conflict) Face it! Howard the Duck is a child of Lucas.

I almost know for sure that money and technology are two of George's biggest enemies. He made fine movies as a "struggling" artist. Star Wars was produced with $10 million. That's a low budget concidering the scope of the project, even then. If he had more and if the technology would've approved, then Star Wars, A New Hope would've turned out a different movie all together. Due to lack of cash Lucas was holding back. His "vision" could not be completely realized. He had to scrap alot of creatures and monsters because SFX weren't adequate enough to create them convincingly and so he left them out. Spielberg was actually very fortunate to have a fake looking shark in Jaws. Because of this he used it sparsely. Alien (Ridley Scott) barely uses a monster. After all, it was a man in a suit. Because of this absence of visual foes, directors have to be more creative, for instance, like working on a more suggestive level. Your own imagination does wonders indeed! In the end nobody complained and classics were born, just because there were restrictions and creativity was flowing.

The only thing George Lucas has going for him is the fact that he invented and ownes Star Wars. Old and new fans love Star Wars, or the idea of it. I think Star Wars used to be far better than what Lucas does with it now. There are too many things wrong with it. I'm willing to explain it too. I'm not just a basher for the sake of it. You think of me as cancer but I only see the disease. I like the Beatles but that doesn't mean I have to like McCartney's later work.

Ender, you didn't understand were I was going with my analogy. It's about the right to react. I'm not demanding anything. BTW, you're wrong with presuming that Lucas is unsensitive for negative reactions. Each time he's working on a new Episode he's promising more "Darkness". It seems that this is what alot of fans wants. I'm not sure that it will do. McGregor admitted that TPM was merely so-so. The next one is gonna be much better! Better? Oh please, it was a circus, literally! I see circus, you see quality. Let's have a fine discussion.

----------------

Alex Cremers

• 1 year later...

FOR comparison's sake I return this to the current board.