Tuba Concerto is a must buy!

A24

Although I just bought it and only listened once I liked it almost instantly. Very accessible music! For those who are still hesitating; don't!

I even like the other works on it too! Go fetch!

----------------

Alex Cremers

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I so much like these "must-buy's" topics, oh lord! :roll:

It rather looks to be my sure "can't-buy" than "can", as the record label it's found on is as exotic around here as it can be (hadn't it been for this place, I wouldn't have known such recordings exist)...

Well, I think, in no way does it make for reinforcing Williams' cachet in the world of classical music as long as his non-film works get published on uncommon labels. Not all of them, but a fair number does.

Roman.-)

• 9 months later...

I just got the David Snell/Foundation Philharmonic Orchestra recording. I did not like the performance. The music is great, but this so exciting piece, he manages to make it boring in even the more fun passages.

Still, great music, definitly a must-have!

:wave: Williams Tuba Concerto

Chester Schmitz, tuba

The Boston Pops Orchestra

John Williams

For anyone interested, both versions of the Tuba Concerto can be found for sale here. Unfortunately for international customers, this company only ships to the US and Canada.

I already have and enjoy the 20th Century Concerti disc very much, but I'm always interested in hearing new interpretations, so I've just placed an order for The Composer's Voice.

Kathy

Just look around for the original BSO/JW "recording" on Kazaa or something. Of course, you always could ask nicely for someone to send it to you through email or something.

Hi Kathy!!!!

:pukeface:  :wave:  

Neil

:)

Ah, Steef, you do see that thing that's part of your signature in every thing that lives in pair of two, correct?

I wish I were young and innocent again. I'm missing those years terribly.

Has anyone heard both recordings? I'd like to know how they compare. I have the Snell one.

I ordered the Bowling Green Philharmonia (Emily Freeman Brown, conductor) version on Sunday from ArkivMusic and received it today.

:)

I've just finished listening to both versions and wholeheartedly agree with Alex in saying the Brown version is a Must Buy! The sound is crisper, clearer and the whole tone brighter and livelier than the Snell version. In the linear notes, JW states, "It's light and tuneful and I hope it has enough events in it to make it fun." For me, the Brown version comes much closer to hitting that mark than the Snell which now sounds ponderously slow in comparison.

There is much light, joy and variety in this work. Williams also stated in the linear notes, "I've also put passages in for some of my pets in the orchestra -- solos for the flute and English horn, for the horn quartet and a trio of trumpets." Those passages stand out so much more in the Brown version and made me sit up and say, "WOW, this music is fantastic!"

In short, GET IT NOW! :|

Kathy

Ah, Steef, you do see that thing that's part of your signature in every thing that lives in pair of two, correct?

No, not really, i'm perfectly able to tell the difference between a pair of ducks and a pair of tits.

I wish I were young and innocent again. I'm missing those years terribly.

You are never to old to enjoy boobs...their look, their fimness, and yet so supple, so smooth to the touch, so sensitive to the tongue, so earodynamic.

I'm a great fan and supporter of them, and i always will be.