Finished JW summary of year for students!!!!!

Ren

HI everyone! I just finished making my tape of excerpt from JW movies to be played for my third grade students with and without music.

First they will be doing a hand out that goes a little like this: (remember we're talking THIRD GRADE HERE)

third grade worksheet

Let?s see if you are ready to be a film composer and work with John Williams! See if you can place the music for the movie: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer?s Stone.

1. Read the excerpt from the book that you are writing music for.

. . .Meanwhile in the locker room, Harry and the rest of the team were changing into their scarlet robes. . .Harry followed Fred and George out of the locker room and, hoping his knees weren?t going to give way, walked onto the field to loud cheers. . .His heart skipped. He felt braver. . .Madame Hooch gave a loud blast on her silver whistle. . .They were off.

2. Circle the words that the excerpt makes you feel like.

Anxious Nervous Sad Determined Angry Happy

Light-hearted Brave Surprised Hungry Sleepy

Silly

3. Circle the music that will go best with your description.

Excerpt 1 Excerpt 2 Excerpt 3

4. Now let?s put the music you picked with the movie and see if it works!

I'll be playing Hedwig's Theme, Schindler's list and the Quidditch Match.

THEN we'll watch these flicks:

Jurassic Park - short scene where they see the dinosaurs in the beginning (after Goldblum swears :angry: )

ESB - Opening scene with the words scrolling.

ESB - Scene where the Imperial March is first heard.

Harry Potter - Quidditch Match

Harry Potter - Mirror of Erised

I hope the kids like it!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty neat Ren. Great job! I hope the kids enjoy it. I like how it let's them use their imaginations. (and introduces more people to John Williams!)

Why didn't my teachers do something like that for me? That would have been cool. I second how it is great for the kids to use there imagination, and of course get them used to John Williams.

Brandon

that's always nice to hear. i'm sure the kids are either like "yay movies i know" or "yay not beethoven". but i hope later on they see the benefit of knowing who JW is.

I'll let you in on what they think of him

If your students have difficulties with the word repetition, you can explain that by playing ten CD's of him. :)

Ok here are a couple of their replies to the questions: write what you liked about studying JW, tell me some things you know, tell me if you'd like to be a film composer too, what were your favorite things?

The ironic thing is they asked if they could use JW instead of John Williams!

I'll include misspellings and all. . .

I liked to here his music.  JW wrote the music for Harry Potter.  Hes a good composer.
John Williams is a composer and he wrote Star Wars, Hary Potter, Jerwrastic Park.  I'd like to see how he does it.
JW is a nice composer to the themes.  JW has made a lot of nice music.
JW was a famous compors.  I want to be JW.
JW is a famous composer.  I'd like to be a composer because I like music.
JW comeposed music for Star Wars, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, and the NBC News.
I like JW because makes a lot music for movies.  I thought the best on was Harry Potter.
I lik study JW because watchi clips of his music.  I kow he did a lot of movies like Star Wars.
What I liked about studying JW is that I got to learn about another person.  I know that JW is the person that wrote the music in Harry Potter and the Sorserors Stone.

and those are the best!

even WITH the misspellings!

Ren,

Teach them advanced orchestration, harmony and counterpoint. This will turn all of them into little Williams' by the time they finish elementary school.

And when you teach them orchestration, do me a favor and not spend an entire year on solely Ravel and Debussy. Wagner and Mahler knew a thing, or two, about orchestration, too.

And, Ren, you might want to have a little chat with that student who thinks that Williams was a composer...

I've seen worse spelling by people in their thirties (at times, even me). I blame spell checkers.

bruckhorn

i know - the "was" kind of shocked me since i spent like 10 minutes harping on how he was living and showed them a video of him conducting in the olympics

How come you didn't use Jaws at all? Or the scene at the end of Raiders where a room full of Nazis are blown up? Great use of music. :mrgreen:

Actually, I think you are doing a great thing. My music teacher in middle school thought Hank Williams Jr. was the greatest singer that ever lived. :roll:

Neil

I did talk about Jaws and Indiana Jones. I just didn't show Jaws because they are little kids and I didn't have the movies handy of Indy.

Here are today's gems!

I think Jhon Whillwoms is go at rithging music becus they sonde good.  i like his Harry Potter song.
I like to be a film ___(something I can't distinguish).  And be in the film.  So you can get money.
I liked John Williams because the way he wrote his music.  I think it is really cool the way he puts music wo well together with movies.  I would like to be a film composer becasue I love music so much.
:cry: :)
I like th creativitie in the music.
I liked studing him because I like the music,.  I know that hi's good at his music.  i wouldn't want to be a film composer because it would be to much work.  My favorite things were how he got to match his song to a movie.
I liked studying the music because it was very good.  I would like to be a composer because I would like to hear my on music in videos.
I would like to be a film composer because I could meet famous people like J. K. Rowling.  I liked learning about him because he was an extreamly good composer.
I liked listening to the music he wrote.  i know that he was a composer and he wrote the music to Star Wars, Harry P. and E. T.  I would not want to be a composer because I want to be a soccer player.  My favorite things were doing the worksheets and finding out what he wrote.
My favite music is Star Wars.  My other favrite music was Idy anajonse.  I like your music because it is cool.
I would like to know if John Williams is going to make the music for Harry Potter the fith.  I like the music for Harry Potter and the Sosor stown.  I would not want to be a film composer because I do not like to make music.
That's too bad because he's my star recorder player!
I lick Jon Wileums becuas hes a grat composer.

lol!

I liked listening to the music he wrote. i know that he was a composer and he wrote the music to Star Wars, Harry P. and E. T. I would not want to be a composer because I want to be a soccer player.

This one cracks me up!!!! LOL

I liked listening to the music he wrote.  i know that he was a composer and he wrote the music to Star Wars, Harry P. and E. T.  I would not want to be a composer because I want to be a soccer player.  My favorite things were doing the worksheets and finding out what he wrote.

That is the same reason why I can't be a composter

This has got to be the best one.

Again, Nice job! Ray and I want you to teach us in 12th grade here, because the guy here won't let us do another John Williams show for marching band (we did one a few years ago, but Ray and I were playing second part which is no fun since we already knew at least how it should be played because we hear it all of the time) We played Indiana Jones which I knew most of the fingerings for anyway, ET which I would have memorized in two seconds, and Far And Away which again if I had first part I would have memorized in two seconds. Anyway, We asked him many times to have another one and I think as seniors we should be able to have some say in what we play. A lot of our band wanted to do a John Williams show, but he wouldn't listen and now we are doing some Latin Stuff. Which has many trumpet solos (which is good for me) but John Williams' trumpet solos would have been waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better. Please come and teach us, at least next year..... :jump:

Is that legal? :jump:

When proof-reading papers in college I read several simillar mistakes. Good collection of them are in Richard Leeder's Anguished English. Check it out in your local library.

bruckhorn

ooh! sounds good I'll look.....

as for the kids. . .their comments are pretty funny and I'm glad that everyone is enjoying them. I enjoy reading them... they are alot harder to post than something like i write because I'm trying to get all their misspellings correctly. i automatically correct things. . it's hard

but fun!

Like I said: there will be two installments today!

hope there are some good ones!

Good collection of them are in Richard Leeder's Anguished English. Check it out in your local library.

bruckhorn

I think that's Richard Lederer. Right book title,though. Absolutely freakin' hilarious.

BigJohn

Ok. Let's see if I can get these up here:

I want to be a composer because the music is sometimes exiteing.  And some times sad and happy.  Any kinds of moods.   I liked studying him because i like music.  And it has lots of difrent moods.  that is why I like studying him.
Because I lik his music.  Jon William was not just a coposer.  I would not like to be a film coposer because there are other thing I would like to do.  Learning about him.
I like the part on Harry Potter at the Qutige match the music fit that part.  John Williams mad lots of music.  for lots of moveies.
Jon.Willumm is a good conposer he has worked so hard he has composed a lot of movies like Harry Potter, Jaws, New< Jaerasipark, to.
I would not like to be a conposer.  I love his music.  i don't want to be a coposer because It's hard work and i get stest(??) easy.  i don't think i could handle all his work.  He's always byus.
What I liked about studying John Williams is that I really like his music.  I don't want to be a composer because i plan to have a lot of animals and I want to be a vet.
I would not like to be a composer but it is pretty interesting.  he must have had spent alot of time writing his music.
I liked lisening to his music.  It's really exiteing.  My favortit peice is Hedwigs Theam.
I liked stud him when he did the olmpics.
I don't really want to be a film composer.  i want to learn some more movies John Williams route music to.
Hes a good cimpser.  i do not want to be a cipser becase i wode need to read alote.
Harry Potter [is my favorite] but ower music teacher doesn't let us wach jaws.  i love your music harry potter is osom.
:evil:
I liked it becaue the song matched the sean.
What I like about John Walluims is when we tride to firgel out wahat muicc it was.
I think studing about John Williams this was fun.  i want to be a film conposer because i love muice.
My favoret move was star wers and harry potter, grask park.  I no you did the mosik fo tos moves and without mosik moves wud be boring.

:cry:

I liked doing it because it was fun and he was exiting.  I know he wrote alot of cool songs fer movis [do you want to be a film composer] no because it would take up my sports.
I lick stubing John Willam because he lics muic.  [i know] that he is a musichin and plays muic. [do you want to be a film composer] no becus it is to much work. [favorite things] star wars epasid.
One thing that i know about John Willians is that he did the music to one of my favrite move indana jones and he is a very good codocter.
my favorite thing about John Williams is that he has my name in his name - Will!
I think Jon Willeums is a great conductor
I liked studing about JW because he likes music and I like music and because JW is cool.
I like when he conducted the USA winter olipick.  [i also know] That his  hear is white.
I want to learn how many years he has been conposing.

Quote:  

I liked doing it because it was fun and he was exiting. I know he wrote alot of cool songs fer movis [do you want to be a film composer] no because it would take up my sports.  

She needs to sort out her priorities! ROTFLMAO

Ray Barnsbury-Regular Poster! (mini-wave in celebration to me) :mrgreen:

harry potter is osom.

Cripes, just what we need... That'll probably go straight to Harry's head. :sarcasm:

Bruckhorn, who thinks Harry is osom and thus is compounding the problem. ;)

at the beginning of the year a third grade girl asked me if Harry Potter was still alive. i said yes and she said good because I'm going to marry him. .

I was like. . .a little young to be thinking this!!! ( i didn't say it though)

Here is my second to last installment of kids quotes.

I liked how he wrote STAR WARS!!!.  ( I love Star Wars!)  Jhon Williams is so great at composing at the end of each movie I watch I look for his name!  I don't want to be a composer because I'm still learning how to play the keyboard.
John Williams wrote star wars whitch is my favorit.
I enjoyed learning about John Williams and what music he wrote.  he wrote music for Star Wars, E.T. and Harry Potter.  I think he writes great music.
I liked studying Jonh Williams.  I don't want to be a composer because theres to much thinking.
He is cool and John Williams is very fames.  John Williams rote songs like Harry Potter and star wars.
I liked studying John Williams because his music has Expression in it.  Some of ths compositions were sad and some of them were brave.
I liked studying John Williams because he is a musician that makes up good music.  He is so good that he should be more famous than Beathoven.  I like his music in Harry Potter.
I liked when we sached scenes from Star Wars and Harry Potter.  I liked Hedwig's theme the best I dont' know what I liked best about Star Wars.  i don't think I would like to be a film composer but I don't know why.
I liked studying John Williams this year beacause we got to watch Harry Potter and Star Wars.  i learned that movies are better with music.  I would want to be a composer because I love creating new music.

One more on Monday.

OK. Here's my last installment of the kids' quotes. I hope to hear from more of you on what you think!

I liked studying John Williams because his music makes me feel any feeling i possably could when the music is soposto be like what i'm hearing.  i like how his music is so lively it makes me feel like i'm in th movies he composed for.  i hope someday i can be like him.
I do like learning about him but i don't like to compose because it is a vary hard job.
My favorite part of music is the mirrir of eriside.  the way i don't want to be a composer that its hard for me to make up music.
I liked studying the music that John Williams did.  that is thir was no music it would be boring.  no i would not like to be a film composer because i have always wished to be a teacher and an artist.
I liked learning about john williams because i found out that a lot of the movies he's composed are some of my favorite movies.  i would like to be a film composer too. i think it would feel great listening to some music on a movie that you composed.
I liked studying john williams because i love his music.  john williams has done a great job on composing his music.
I liked when we studied him and we wathed parts of moveys that he ded the music.  i don't want to be a film composer because i'm not good at music.
I liked studying what music is in a part and how it went together [with the movie]and i liked when john williams composed the olimpics.
I liked the music in Harry Potter.  if there wasn't any music it wood have been boring.  i think the movies that don't have his music like jurasic park three those don't sound as good.  he is a great person to studie.  but when i grow up i don't want to be a film composer because i don't think i would be good at it.
I liked learning about how john williams wrote so many cool songs because i think that he must have worked really hard.  he wrote songs for harry Potter and Star Wars.  I would like to be a film composer because you would get to meet actors, actresses and directors.

TOUT FINI!

oops.

two more

I liked studing john williams because he can esperse [express] our feelings.  i do not want to abe a composer because i woul have to study alot.
i liked it all.  i know that john williams composed for harry potter and star wars and other movies too.  i don't want to be a film composser because i really wan to be an artist.  i liked finding out that john williams composed for harry potter.

there