My Date With Drew

Lurker

No, I'm talking about a REAL forgettable movie, that I happened to like since I saw it when I was a kid.

Here's actualy what a guy on IMDB said, and it basicaly is the same with me.

Watched this movie as a kid!

I'm an 80's kid, and this movie was released in the early 90's and it was the best movie ever. Everyone wants to be secret agent with cool toys, like in the movie the guy gets a super cool car with rocket launchers and shields!

I'd suggest that you watch this one, its great entertainment!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I'm familiar with the movie you're hinting about Morlock. I can't think of anything right now, but I'm around your age (and the guy who you quoted), so it could be one I watched as a kid. Hmmmm . . .

Ray Barnsbury

I know. It looked cool to me as an 8 year old, so I rented it for my birthday party. Roger Rees is in it, and he's very good as the James Bond villain.

• 6 months later...

Thanksgiving rules!! Brian came home for a few days to visit his family and he was able to squeeze in a quick visit to the Bulk household. We had a blast!

He's hoping to get the movie out next year but is still ironing out details.

IMG_0855.jpg

Neil

so you were telling the truth

Always.

Except when it comes to April Fools.

A lie is when I'm trying to pass off the truth. A joke is when you all fall for it and get angry at yourselves for falling for it year in and year out. :sadwavey:

Oh, and now it's his turn to look goofy....

IMG_0856.jpg

Neil

• 3 months later...

I just got back from the south Jersey premiere of this movie. This was the first time I'd seen a 35mm print of the movie (it was shot on mini DV). The music was different than the last time I saw it, probably a casualty of rights issues. The audience seemed to like it a lot, and Brian got his wish. The movie played at the theater he used to work at.

As far as celebrities at the premiere, Gervase Peterson sat in the row behind me.

Neil

Sweet! Gervase Peterson has an enormous and fine body of work. I respect the man. He has true talent and many people lack these days.

Justin

• 3 months later...

This movie will be released August 5th. Here is a photo of a board at a local theater listing upcoming movies. My friends film is on the same board as a Spielberg movie! How cool is that?

P6260001.jpg

You can read some more about it here.

Neil

Hmmm. That "War of the Worlds" movie doesn't seem to fit in with all those independent titles and documentaries.

The theater must need a blockbuster to boost their dismal receipts from these types of movies. It happens a lot, though the contradiction is not usually as obvious as this!

The Ritz gets some blockbusters. They are a very succesful independent theater company out here. This particular theater has 16 screens and appeals to adults. In fact if you are under 16, you can't get in without a parent, so they'll get some adult oriented blockbusters (War of the Worlds, but not ROTS for instance) in addition to the foreign and independent films.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Nice billboard. I MUST know if he shaves his body for Drew!

His mentor is an ass. His mother is a bigger ass. Let the man go for his dream. Who knows, he might be pulled out of a bar with Drew and appear in the Star! His mom would be so proud.

Seriously, this looks promising. I hope it comes to my neck of the woods.

• 3 weeks later...

Comingsoon.net just posted a review

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/reviewsnews...ws.php?id=10651

9 out of 10

Bottom line

Not only is My Date With Drew a terrific documentary about how the Hollywood star system works, but it also may be the only documentary that's also the perfect date movie.

Looks like I'll have to see it :|

Max

I bought ten tickets tonight for the 7:35 show on Friday night. This will be the first time most of my friends have seen the movie. It should be a lot of fun.

Neil

Can't wait to see it, but I think I'll have to wait for the DVD....I some how doubt this is going to make it to the mall downtown. Though the Cinemateque loves showing quirky documentries....I can hope. This movie looks better every time I see something about it.

I'm pretty certain the film has a foreign distribution deal and that it will be playing in Israel. I recall Brian saying this in February at a charity screening.

And please, to not ruin some of the films surprises, do yourself a favor and do not read the reviews posted at the site yet. All you need to know is that they are positive, they just ruin some of the movies best parts.

Neil

Jim Berardinelli's got a positive review up. IMO, he's one of the better online film critics out there. Nothing so far to detract me from seein' the flick...

I just read the the review in EW, and they gave the film an F. ROTFLMAO Regardless, I'd like to see it sometime - just not sure where it's being shown around me.

Ray Barnsbury

This is a letter I wrote in response to EW's "review":

"I have never read a more mean spirited review than Owen Gleiberman's review of the new film, My Date With Drew. I'm not even convinced he watched the movie. To call Mr. Herzlinger a "putz" shows that Mr. Gleiberman is a horrible judge of character, since Brian comes across as a very likable and enthusiastic person. To say it's unfunny goes completely against the experience I had seeing the movie opening day, where a sold out theater was filled with people laughing and cheering and actually sitting through the entire end credits!

Perhaps the films message, about following one's dreams, struck a chord with Mr. Gleiberman. Maybe he finally realized his dream project, My Rendezvous With Liberace, might have been a success after all.

Sincerely,

Neil S. Bulk"

Neil

It's expanding today to theaters in these cities:

Atlanta

Boston

Denver

Miami/Fort Lauderdale

Minneapolis

Orlando

Portland

Sacramento

San Diego

San Francisco/ San Jose

Seattle

Tampa/ St. Petersburg

Washington D.C.

Go check it out and take your friends!

Neil

• 2 years later...

So I turn on the TV on Friday, and as I flip to a movie channels, I see a familiar looking face. Not a clue where I recognize him from. Than it hits me. Neil's friend who made the movie. I missed the first few minutes...but I finally saw this. I liked it very much. It would indeed be a fantastic date movie....it's really one of the nicest documentries I've seen. There was somethng quite refreshing about such a straight-forward goal in a documentry, and one so innocuous.

I'll watch it when I see it for rental.

Sounds like a great flick.