Throne Room music as graduation recessional

RedMeg

8 hours ago, RedMeg said:

It was perfectly suited and should become A Thing. 😁

I have always thought so. Congratulations.

4 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

My wife wanted to Throne Room as processional and Raiders March as recessional. You will probably be appalled to hear that I vetoed both.

My reasons? It was a traditional church wedding and neither would have sounded good on an organ. I’ve since attended a wedding at the same church where the bride came in to Stu Philips’ Battlestar Galactica on the organ. Sadly, it didn’t work at all.

I realise this confession might get me blacklisted from JWFan for life. So be it.

Mark

We didn't hava an organist, do it was the music playing through a sound system. If memory serves, we walked out to Gounod's Ave Maria. That one was with the church choir.

11 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

My wife wanted to Throne Room as processional and Raiders March as recessional. You will probably be appalled to hear that I vetoed both.

My reasons? It was a traditional church wedding and neither would have sounded good on an organ. I’ve since attended a wedding at the same church where the bride came in to Stu Philips’ Battlestar Galactica on the organ. Sadly, it didn’t work at all.

I realise this confession might get me blacklisted from JWFan for life. So be it.

Mark

This is entirely valid.  Music that is perfectly suited to one situation could be wildly inappropriate in another.  You wouldn't believe the number of church musicians who've had to forbid the use of Cohen's Hallelujah for weddings or funerals...  😬

I joked about this with a friend at my own college graduation, but I never thought anyone would actually do it!

Though I probably wouldn't do it myself, I once attended a wedding where the recessional was Overworld from The Legend of Zelda on the organ, and it worked spectacularly well.

1 hour ago, QuartalHarmony said:

My brother-in-law went to a school where, every Monday morning, the Head (Principal) would walk into assembly wearing his academic gown.

On their last day, he and his mates got into the hall early and set the PA system to play the Imperial March as the Head swept in in his gown.

Mark

Classic. :lol:

Sounds cute, but there's always that worry for when you step over the "nerd line". I do, however, intend to have some Williams played during my funeral.

21 minutes ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

You have to be pretty full of yourself to think that completing four years of college is on the same level as saving the universe from space fascism. 

They didn't save the universe, they rescued the Princess. Otherwise Wedge would have been there. OBVIOUSLY you can't play the music they played for Wedge!

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

They didn't save the universe, they rescued the Princess. Otherwise Wedge would have been there.

Then all of the surviving pilots should've been there... They all risked their lives for the cause.

But if Leia had to bestow medals on that many people, Williams' music would've had to amble a bit...

A solution would've been to have the other pilots already on stage with their medals on, as Luke, Han, and Chewie come in.

Anyway, I like to imagine a cutaway shot of Wedge, among the rank and file audience, looking peeved and muttering something to himself for not being honoured. lol

1 hour ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Then all of the surviving pilots should've been there...

Both. There was Luke, Wedge, and whoever was flying that Y-Wing. And until we saw a Y-Wing flying away at the end the only two fighters that we knew about were Luke and Wedge.

3 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Both. There was Luke, Wedge, and whoever was flying that Y-Wing. And until we saw a Y-Wing flying away at the end the only two fighters that we knew about were Luke and Wedge.

Thanks for refreshing my memory. For some reason I thought more had survived!

On 18/05/2024 at 12:39 PM, Miguel Andrade said:

For my marriage I wanted the Throne Room, but my ex had to have the Mendelssohn march... Could not even convince her to use the Wagner one instead. I should have seen that as a sign 🤣

I was luckier. My ex approved to use indeed The Throne Room for my marriadge :)

On 18/05/2024 at 3:39 AM, Miguel Andrade said:

For my marriage I wanted the Throne Room, but my ex had to have the Mendelssohn march... Could not even convince her to use the Wagner one instead. I should have seen that as a sign 🤣

My wife and I got married in the Catholic Church, so we HAD to use more traditional music...though if it wouldn't have gotten him fired from his job, I would have asked my uncle (the organist for our wedding) to throw the Star Wars intro into the recessional (Music for the Royal Fireworks)

However, our reception was Star Wars theme, and we entered to The Throne Room Music.

About halfway through the reception a couple of the kids started playing with the lightsabers and one them called me over.  I told him to hold on one moment.  I ran over the DJ and said "Duel of the Fates!"  As soon as it hit, my wife lets out this guttural "YEEESSS" and lightsaber fights started happening.