John Williams canceled concerts 2024

Jay

I think a combined thread for this news makes sense, as its currently being discussed in three different threads

Yesterday, John Williams had eight upcoming concerts.  Today, he has five, as the ones planned for July and August will no longer feature Williams on the podium

1. 2024-07-12,13,14 Los Angeles, CA
  2. 2024-08-02,03 Lenox, MA
  3. 2024-08-06 Lenox, MA
  4. 2024-10-22 Chicago, IL
  5. 2024-10-25 Los Angeles, CA
  6. 2024-12-07, 08 Vienna, Austria
  7. 2025-04-03 Los Angeles, CA
  8. 2025-06-05, 06, 07 Berlin, Germany

Official statement from the LA Phil:

Due to a recent health concern, from which he is expected to make a full recovery, John Williams will be unable to perform at the Maestro of the Movie concerts at the Hollywood Bowl on July 12, 13, and 14, 2024. Maestro Williams originally planned to share the podium with conductor David Newman, who, at John’s request, has graciously agreed to conduct the entire concert. The program will otherwise remain unchanged. For any questions about this change, email Audience Services at information@laphil.org.

Official statements from the Boston Pops:

Due to a recent health concern, from which he is expected to make a full recovery, John Williams will be unable to perform his annual Film Night concerts at Tanglewood on August 2 and 3, 2024. At Maestro Williams’ request, conductor David Newman has graciously agreed to perform the second half of the program and will join conductor Ken-David Masur for these two special evenings. The program will otherwise remain unchanged. Please direct any questions to tickets@bso.org.

&

Due to a recent health concern, from which he is expected to make a full recovery, John Williams will be unable to participate in the Tanglewood on Parade concert on the evening of August 6, 2024. At Maestro Williams’ request, Ken-David Masur will join conductors Keith Lockhart, Alan Gilbert, and Anna Rakitina in leading the planned tribute to Seiji Ozawa. Please direct any questions to tickets@bso.org.

It remains to be seen if his remaining US and overseas concerts will see any changes.

The Hollywood Bowl and Tanglewood announcements happened around the same time and used much of the same wording as each other, so we can hope that the other concerts would have done the same if they were affected, and that he's still intending to follow through with them.

Well, I of course hope the Maestro will be ok. It's hard to be in one's 90s and be so active!

I am bummed to not see him on July 13 (my birthday weekend which starts with Force Awakes LTP in Seattle, then LA for the bowl and then off to Hawaii), but I like David Newman a lot. And hearing the Williams music at the Bowl is always a treat.

I hope he does make a full recovery and that isn't just PR speak. I wish him the best. 

I feel very fortunate to have been able to see him conduct in-person at the Hollywood Bowl last summer. 

It must be something heavy if it is already clear that he won't be fully recovered in two Month from now. Could also be a broken finger or something like that.

Anyway, I guess everyone here wishes him the best and a good recovery. 

Now that the day of the official cancellation thread has come, let us remain full of hope, confidence and gratitude!

Fingers crossed for Johnny's health. At least it isn't as sudden of an announcement as London in 2018. Perhaps, they are just playing it safe given his age. And they should.

Karol

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

At least it isn't as sudden of an announcement as London in 2018. Perhaps, they are just playing it safe given his age. And they should.

As much as I'd like to go to Vienna again... should he be travelling this far that much?

8 minutes ago, Holko said:

As much as I'd like to go to Vienna again... should he be travelling this far that much?

If he wants to.   

7 minutes ago, Holko said:

And he could be covered by Adès this time...

1. 2024-10-22 Chicago, IL
  2. 2024-10-25 Los Angeles, CA
  3. 2024-12-07, 08 Vienna, Austria
  4. 2025-04-03 Los Angeles, CA
  5. 2025-06-05, 06, 07 Berlin, Germany

Am I right in thinking that Berlin would be the only solo appearance? 

It's June 6th and he won't be able to attend his August 6th concert two months from now. I think it's pretty serious. Besides, everything is serious when you are 92. Even a common cold or a broken ankle. 

Get well soon, Maestro.

Yeah, even though they "expect him to make a full recovery", what else are you going to write there? 

"We regret to inform you that John Williams has to cancel his appearance at this concert. He's totally going to die soon. It ain't lookin' good." ?

2 hours ago, Once said:

I really don't like to speculate on these things, but I'd say that "X amount of time off work" is a pretty usual "doctor's orders". We can't deduce anything from this. Like he was told to take 7 weeks off work after his pacemaker operation.

Of course I wish him a fast recovery, no matter what!

I noted this in another thread but the wording is also vague enough that it might be referring to something coming up between now and the concerts. Like it's a recent health concern and whatever he needs to help with it is recoverable but it'll take him out for the rest of the summer. 

It must be his heart. The pacemaker probably needs replacement or new battery. Oh the woes of old age and yet we expect so much from him. The maestro deserves loads of rest. I wish him good health.

24 minutes ago, Brock Lovett said:

He is elderly and near death, that's the reality. He should be at home in bed, not being carted around and waving a stick on a stage.

Yes, because lying in bed is such a more desirable way to die than doing what you love.  

14 minutes ago, Andy said:

Yes, precisely. Like Willy Wonka’s grandfather.  Just stay in bed. 

Do you mean Charlie Bucket? That bed has to be nasty…

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yes, because lying in bed is such a more desirable way to die than doing what you love.  

I'm not sure what you mean, I don't want him to die. If he does croak, I'd prefer it be in comfort.

4 hours ago, rpvee said:

It very well could just be a pacemaker update/replacement.

It doesn’t require a two month-rest. My Father had lots of heart-related procedures during his life and he never had to take two months off afterward.

4 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

I'm pretty sure he'd rather wave a stick onstage than wait in bed for the inevitable.

Or he could be with his family, spending as much time with them as possible, while he still can. A concert is just a concert, but being with your family is precious time.

My grandma broke her foot at the age of 103. And she needed just about 6 weeks to recover.

But the broken foot wasn't the big issue after all. The problem at such a high age are the side effects of taking a rest for such a long time.

Whatever it is, at high age it costs a lot to stay mobile and keep your body doing everything it must do.

So any kind of forced long rest at high age is poison for your body.

But Williams is a comparably young man and I guess all this recovery and mobilization time is already priced in into these two Month.

So, we shouldn't worry too much.

49 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

But Williams is a comparably young man

lg.gif

she needed just about 6 weeks to recover.

For the record, if a 13-year-old breaks their foot it needs 6-8 weeks to fully heal as well. 

I'm 42 and I broke my baby toe in December, and it took 8 weeks to heal and it sometimes still hurts. 

The problem at such a high age are the side effects of taking a rest for such a long time.

any kind of forced long rest at high age is poison for your body.

Absolutely right.

I'm reminded of Williams' own words at the Oscars pre-party in 2016, where Morricone was also present:

“I’m particularly happy today to congratulate all the nominees, particularly a gentleman who has been such a great inspiration to all of us younger composers,” said Williams from the podium, getting a big laugh (Morricone is roughly three years older).

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/john-williams-pays-tribute-ennio-morricone-pre-oscars-190137350.html

It could be somekind of surgery where he has to take it easy for a while, or he fell and broke something.  Travelling and conducting concerts is difficult at 91.

Elderly people often don’t know their limitations and can easily cause harm to themselves by thinking that they are still capable of doing things that they used to be able to do when they were younger. Younger people want to keep them healthy and strong so they can be with them for a long time. It’s called caring for our loved ones. It can be done in a respectful manner without hurting the elderly person’s freedom or dignity.

Back to JW: I hope it’s nothing too serious, but as I have said before, at 92 everything is or can be serious. If he fell and broke his wrist or ankle, or if he caught a cold or got pneumonia, it is very serious at his age. If he needs two months to fully recover, it is serious. 

10 hours ago, Brock Lovett said:

He is elderly and near death, that's the reality. He should be at home in bed, not being carted around and waving a stick on a stage.

But the Bowl would be just down the street unless travelling from Tanglewood.

Perhaps open air conditions with expected high temperatures are a serious show stopper.

2 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Perhaps the best thing to do is stop with the speculation and take the official announcements for what they state. It is nothing more than a health concern from which he needs to take some time off for and is expected to make a full recovery. Do not speculate about anything worse.

That's not how JWFan goes about it! But I agree.

On 04/06/2024 at 9:07 PM, Jay said:

2024-10-25 Los Angeles, CA

Am I missing something? Any info on this performance?