The Phantom Menace: Ultimate Edition is back on streaming services

The Ultimate Edition of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace is unexpectedly circulating again on Spotify, Apple Music, etc.

IMG_3161.png

I guess this unfortunately makes it less likely that any kind of new expansions are in the works.

6 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

The Ultimate Edition of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace is unexpectedly circulating again on Spotify, Apple Music, etc.

IMG_3161.png

I guess this unfortunately makes it less likely that any kind of new expansions are in the works.

They could at least have cleaned his teeth. 

47 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

They'd have to first know we exist in order to fuck with us, which they probably don't. We're just a gnat amongst the 99.9999% of people that are satisfied with this 'Ultimate Edition'.

If that's so, I think I overestimated the market value of this place in my proposal to buy JWfan!

6 hours ago, Brock Lovett said:

Not in my region 

Nor in the UK (assuming @Brock Lovett isn’t also in the UK).

Trying to extrapolate future releases from this change is surely madness. The UE will just have been part of a massive chunk of catalogue that someone will have decided to dump on the platforms. Notwithstanding how we feel about it, the UE will absolutely not have significantly impacted on the decision.

13 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

The version available on Apple Music & Deezer isn't even available in lossless, which means it's most likely not a new intentional re-release by Disney Records but just the old release that reappeared for some reason.

I guess it's as strange as the ROTS 2016 Sony digital release still being available for streaming on some services, even though it should have been replaced by the 2018 Disney demasters (e.g. on Deezer: https://www.deezer.com/fr/album/14958527).

I don't think this is a sign that new expansions aren't coming, just rights stuff

=

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

The UE is the only way of listening to a mostly complete version of The Phantom Menace until the day (which may never come, at least in our lifetimes) that it will get a "definitive" edition. With all its problems but I'm still thankful we have at least that (none of the other prequels or sequels have something like this, with the possible exception of The Last Jedi and its isolated score).

Fan edits that use the UE as a basis for most of the OST unreleased music  . The UE was never useless in that way.

But I don't think I've ever listened to it on it's own since it was first released

I think the biggest mistake made with this release was not what was released, but the way it was described and marketed. 

Once I realised the UE was not a UE in the way us fans understood a UE to mean I was actually fine with the release.

I think if this release was described and marketed simply as "the score as heard in the film" or some such then it may have been met with less derision by us fair jwfan folk. 

On 08/06/2024 at 3:47 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Untitled-1.jpg

On 08/06/2024 at 4:54 PM, Tom said:

Maul's younger brother Billy.  Tried the family business, but, aw-shucks, it just did not work out.  

After that, Billy decided to work in advertising. He learned about the strategies many advertising companies use, called 'false advertising'. He immediately became a fan of it, which is why he decided he needed to be on the updated cover of this particular album. 

As flawed as this UE might be, and I don't know because I only watched the movie  twice, I've always appreciated the idea behind this presentation much more, in a way. At least the goal was completeness, not a haphazard 'tone poem' rearrangement of a score nobody except the composer understands.

On 09/06/2024 at 2:23 PM, Unlucky Bastard said:

It's a shame we never got a CD version of Across the Stars – Dialogue Version.

It exists on pressed CD:

https://www.discogs.com/release/8751408-John-Williams-Across-The-Stars-From-Star-Wars-Episode-II-Attack-Of-The-Clones

The SW Insider was sure that Desert Winds would be the most treasured track. It's one of the worst JW tracks ever.

Star_Wars_Insider_052_2000_0020.jpg

Woah, what a weird thing to highlight

Surely the guy who wrote the article was told it wasn't in the film, and he didn't bother to verify

9 hours ago, Jay said:

Woah, what a weird thing to highlight

If I recall, that was highlighted on a sticker on the front cover, or at least it was on mine. They were probably asked to put that in by the publisher. I say this lovingly as a collector of Star Wars Insiders, but half of the magazine was an ad for Star Wars stuff. Best to get the copy right.

That sort of crap happens so often with PR for soundtracks that it's best to try not to get offended when it happens to your favourite.

Gladiator's anniversary set (the one that just combined the OST and MMF) had a sticker proudly announcing that it had 'all the music from the oscar-winning soundtrack'. It takes some signficant language gymnastics to not interpret that as two downright lies. (for those less initiated, it's far from the whole score and it didn't win an oscar)

No one outside of our communities cares about this stuff, which is why everyone gets it wrong.