John Williams is the next guest on the Smartless podcast

This could be a very different kind of interview than what we usually get from Williams. I would've never imagined him as a guest!

1 minute ago, Brock Lovett said:

This is beneath him

It's arguably the most popular podcast going.  That's like saying someone shouldn't have gone on the Tonight Show in the 60's because it's beneath them.

I can't roll my eyes hard enough.

Oh and btw Sean is a classically trained pianist.

11 minutes ago, Once said:

This could be a very different kind of interview than what we usually get from Williams. I would've never imagined him as a guest!

Different how? I'd be down for different, and not the usual stuff.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Different how? I'd be down for different, and not the usual stuff.

I was only introduced to this podcast last week by a friend, so I'm not an expert by any means, but the concept could make for a much more spontaneous or personal chat than your usual Jon Burlingame-interview (even though I love those).

Their own website explains it better than I could:

A nice surprise: in each episode of SmartLess, one of the hosts reveals his mystery guest to the other two. What ensues is a genuinely improvised and authentic conversation filled with laughter and newfound knowledge to feed the SmartLess mind.

Of course it doesn't guarantee a different kind of interview, which is why I said "could", hehe.

EDIT: I haven't listened to any episodes myself yet, could be rubbish. It has been recommended to me, though, and I like the concept. I just never expected John Williams to be a guest on such a podcast.

Look I don't want to fight anyone here except Alex, I might even listen to this swill if it doesn't put one to sleep.

9 minutes ago, Once said:

I was only introduced to this podcast last week by a friend, so I'm not an expert by any means, but the concept could make for a much more spontaneous or personal chat than your usual Jon Burlingame-interview (even though I love those).

Their own website explains it better than I could:

Of course it doesn't guarantee a different kind of interview, which is why I said "could", hehe.

EDIT: I haven't listened to any episodes myself yet, could be rubbish. It has been recommended to me, though, and I like the concept. I just never expected John Williams to be a guest on such a podcast.

image.gif

Williams doesn't have to do these things, especially at his age, so it must be legit if his people asked him to participate. Hopefully it yields something interesting.

1 minute ago, Mr. Hooper said:

image.gif

Williams doesn't have to do these things, especially at his age, so it must be legit if his people asked him to participate. Hopefully it yields something interesting.

Hopefully, yeah!

In light of the concert cancelations, would this interview have been recorded a while back or is it a live sort of thing? 

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

In light of the concert cancelations, would this interview have been recorded a while back or is it a live sort of thing? 

Good question.

It's not a live podcast but I don't know how far they record in advance. 

I could never really get into this one because they are so sycophantic and schmoozy with their guests. The fact they apparently had Joe Biden, Barack Obama, and Bill Clinton on all at once recently with the description referring to "our pal President Biden" is kinda the vibe, but the fact they can book an episode like that probably explains how they can get John Williams and pretty much anybody they want. They've also had Spielberg so that might have been part of it. I've listened to that one, the ones with Paul Thomas Anderson, James Cameron.

I'll def listen but I'm expecting it to be kind of a weird JW interview lol. They'll probably suck up to him a lot while also competing to be the first to interrupt him with jokes. 

3 hours ago, Brock Lovett said:

It's no way the most popular podcast. Where do you exist? It's Rogan's show.

Williams should do Call Her Daddy 

I once joked that he should do Howard Stern, but weirdly these days Williams is probably more likely to agree to Stern than Rogan. 

Obviously I'd most like to see a JWFan get him on one of their podcasts. 

I wonder what JW hasn’t talked about that he will discuss in this conversation. I don’t think it will be that different from his other interviews, and it’s understandable. The interviewers will have the biggest respect for a 92-year-old man and will probably ask all those safe questions like “What is the score you want to be remembered by?” or “What do you think about Hans Zimmer?”.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Oh boy...

OK, let me rephrase it: “What do you think about Mr. Hans Zimmer?”

If Williams is the announced guest, who will be the surprise guest?

Hopefully a colleague in trade, not a sycophantic collaborator...

Zimmer would be an excellent choice. No cap

3 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

If Williams is the announced guest, who will be the surprise guest?

My guess is either Steven Spielberg, Gustavo Dudamel or David Newman.

51 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

Wonder how many times they will say f*ck in the presence of JW.

I hope 0 times. The interviewers must know who they are talking to. 

6 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I doubt JW is so precious that he'd be offended by the F word.

I don't think he would like it, and I don't think that kind of language is necessary when you interview one of the greatest composers of all time, a 92-year-old gentleman.

In private, that's another question. He is human just like anyone else. I'm sure he swears like everyone, but he would never say f*ck in public, especially not in an interview. 

That was a long time ago.

When did we ever hear JW use the F word in an interview?