NEW! THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS - World Premiere Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - La-La Land Records

Holko

24 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

James horner gets more attention lately or so it seems to me

Yes that's true actually. But that's only a problem if you see it thru the lens of every Horner release (or other composer) being one less Williams.

13 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I wonder if it's cheaper (combined with shipping) than MBR.

I paid €38,45 there.

I almost ordered at CSC because for Sugarland ExpressTorn CurtainThe Piper, and Species, it was minimally cheaper than MBR (including shipping). Then I remembered I'd forgotten about the 2024 Inchon, and now MBR was cheaper. Bottom line: It depends on the individual releases, some are cheaper at one place and some at the other, and depending on your specific list of albums that may or may not (over)compensate for the difference in shipping costs.

17 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I wonder if it's cheaper (combined with shipping) than MBR.

I paid €38,45 there.

Ordering from Europe on LLL makes a total of $40 so not sure what the benefit of ordering elsewhere is on this occasion 🧐

1 minute ago, ciarlese said:

Ordering from Europe on LLL makes a total of $40 so not sure what the benefit of ordering elsewhere is on this occasion 🧐

Plus the customs fees plus the VAT plus the handling fees plus the paperwork.

1 minute ago, ciarlese said:

Ordering from LLL directly I have to pay customs afterwards. ;)

ordered .I never liked the theme but I'm curious about the rest of the score (expecting Missouri Breaks style underscore).

K.M., who somehow missed this tread yesterday

I love the main theme, particularly the re-recording and a lot of the rest sounds interesting enough that given this is 5000 units, I'm going to wait a bit to see if anything else comes out to pair it with.

17 hours ago, crumbs said:

I wonder if Spielberg wrote a booklet note for this album, considering it's the first soundtrack release for the score?

Great question. I would if I were him. 

21 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Anyone know who arranged the Cincinnati Pops version? Was it Kunzel or one of his regular arrangers?

It was arranged by the late Joseph D. Price, a regular arranger for the Cincinnati Pops.

14 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Yes that's true actually. But that's only a problem if you see it thru the lens of every Horner release (or other composer) being one less Williams.

That Miss Padme chick who used to post here had that attitude every time the labels put out a Goldsmith score.

As well-behaved John Williams fan I ordered this of course.

I am not very familiar with this score apart from the theme on the Spielberg/Williams album.

So, I am happy that there is still something new for me to discover in Williams body of work.

But I am not super optimistic, that this score will grow on me like for example The River.

But let us see.

I guess, almost every hardcore JWFan felt this score to be a weird gab in their collection of Williams score.

I mean, it's Williams, it's Spielberg, it's 70s.

Probably it will make me think, why didn't Williams put a harmonica Sugarland Express reference at the end of The Fabelmans but the Jaws one?

And when comes The Fabelmans 2, when the boy meets that cool film composer Charlie Walton?

9 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I read that about 9 seconds after making exactly the same comment to my other half... it does seem quite surprising for sure. Guess that's the vagaries of making movies and recording their music. I mean, I still can't believe that both Empire and Jedi have a couple of clearly audible edits in them despite the fact that I can't imagine JW was constrained by budget too much on either.

I wonder if this ends up being a bit like The Reivers (no, you're not gonna get to hear the original horse race cue... there isn't one...) where everyone is so used to the orchestral concert version that the pared down original is a bit of a surprise.

With the references to the JW concert arrangement from the first Spielberg-Williams album, I have to say that I always preferred the Cincinnati Pops version which features the main theme more prominently (indeed JW's own version kinda skirts round the main theme rather than quoting it outright). Anyone know who arranged the Cincinnati Pops version? Was it Kunzel or one of his regular arrangers?

It struck me that JW's 60s and early 70s filmography only really had a modest inkling of his much more sweeping late 70s onwards style, there wasn't really much to suggest that they would be lifelong collaborators or that JW's style would evolve to fit Spielberg's later films so perfectly (more CE3K, Raiders, ET onwards than Jaws really). Effectively, their first collaboration was because Spielberg liked The Reivers, a pretty folksy, low key score, not because JW had been writing epic, orchestral scores all of his career and that's what SS wanted. In light of that, it's perhaps less surprising that Spielberg almost went with Jerry for Jaws (definitely on my parallel universe bucket list).

Yeah, it is almost impossible to imagine these two not being inseparable. But I guess for Spielberg, in these early years he wanted to try out different things. We know, for example, he was very keen on having Herrmann score Close Encounters. Probably because his pals De Palma and Scorsese got to briefly resurrect composer's Hollywood career recently and quite frankly, he would have been a very logical choice at the time. But Herrmann died before he got to have a meeting with Spielberg.

Karol

6 hours ago, Unlucky Bastard said:

That Miss Padme chick who used to post here had that attitude every time the labels put out a Goldsmith score.

And it was true…. How many important goldsmith scores are left to release?

Horner is the new goldsmith.

Anyway, There are not THAT many important remaining Williams scores (pre2005) either:

the reivers

the rare breed?

witches of eastwick

accidental tourist

Born on the 4th of July

jfk

nixon

stepmon

angelas ahses

the patriot

catch me if you can

the terminal

not counting sw or indy (that have been expanded anyway…)

we should be done with releaseable williams in a decade…. But since there are usually re-re-releases that take   Release spots it will be 20 years 🥲

On 17/06/2024 at 3:10 AM, Unlucky Bastard said:

Well, yep, Goldsmith was flying out the door pretty recently. But what Lukas Kendall's comments about What Lies Beneath hit home for me (and the entire Hook saga) is that a project can be in the works for the best part of a decade, and that stuff completely outside the labels' control affects the frequency and variety of releases. Hence while Mike no doubt has his mind on multiple Williams projects, he's also going to be working on a load of equally deserving projects, and some of those will be the next to come out. Hence I tend to roll-eye when someone complains it's been 4 months since a Williams release, especially when the most recent ones are two of the most ambitious and historically significant releases in Williams' career. We can easily wait another 6 months for the next one. Many fans would only dream of having expansions from their favourite composers come out at this rate

I read a rumour on Intrada's old forum that one of my grails had 'reportedly' been meant to come out a year or two ago but was delayed by <choose a disruptive event> and I can imagine it coming out and reading that it took the last three years to sort out some legal issues, with all the audio work long completed. I mean, Hook was delayed by what, half a decade just to get the songs included, right?

13 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

It was arranged by the late Joseph D. Price, a regular arranger for the Cincinnati Pops.

Thanks for confirming. I'm sure I have the CD somewhere but no idea where it is! As I said in my original post, a very nice arrangement that doesn't try to overdo it like some of the other Cincinnati Pops arrangements and, having given them both another listen, one that I prefer to JW's own version.

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

Yeah, it is almost impossible to imagine these two not being inseparable. But I guess for Spielberg, in these early years he wanted to try out different things. We know, for example, he was very keen on having Herrmann score Close Encounters. Probably because his pals De Palma and Scorsese got to briefly resurrect composer's Hollywood career recently and quite frankly, he would have been a very logical choice at the time. But Herrmann died before he got to have a meeting with Spielberg.

Karol

A Herrmann score for CE3K would be another parallel universe bucket list item, but it's one of those scores where I don't think JW could have been bettered (as per comments I've made elsewhere, it's one of those films where JW's phenomenal skillset as a composer is lavishly applied). But yeah, at that stage in both their careers, they were very different artists and not much of what they'd made to date would lead to guess how their work and working relationship would evolve.

I just A/B'ed the bootleg versus those samples and started laughing how crappy we were listening to this for the last decades.  What an upgrade! 

I'm wondering why the alternate main title is nowhere to be found (perhaps it was too much the same)?  And were those 8 source music cues by Johnny or not?  Some of them were funky!

38 minutes ago, ymenard said:

I just A/B'ed the bootleg versus those samples and started laughing how crappy we were listening to this for the last decades.  What an upgrade! 

I'm wondering why the alternate main title is nowhere to be found (perhaps it was too much the same)? 

Perhaps it's something that was mislabeled.

Looking at the cue list, all the boot titles are made up. And at least some of the "source cues" must be in there, 4 is the second sample.

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

Looking at the cue list, all the track titles are made up. And at least some of the "source cues" must be in there, 4 is the second sample.

Depending on which boot you’ve got, one of them has track titles I completely made up way back around 1997/1998 just going thru the movie and trying to ear-pick what cues sounded like it was playing where in the film, lol.  Don’t ask me how they made it o to a bootleg release though. 

I was thinking how lucky we are. There are some who have been waiting for 50 years for this score to be officially released.
If this became a reality, then nothing is impossible now, even the Star Wars remastered expansions.

Speaking of nixxed source music… at this rate, when williams dies and all of it is able to be released… it will be a boxset 🙄

1 hour ago, Davis said:

I was thinking how lucky we are. There are some who have been waiting for 50 years for this score to be officially released.
If this became a reality, then nothing is impossible now, even the Star Wars remastered expansions.

Many have probably died in that time.

3 hours ago, ymenard said:

And were those 8 source music cues by Johnny or not?

I don't know about all, but yes, they were composed by Williams.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

"... with a vinyl edition to go on sale later this summer..."

record player spinning GIF

MOVATM397_1_720x.webp?v=1698239807

Nothing has been said one way or another, but I imagine not.

On 15/6/2024 at 10:22 AM, phbart said:

Did someone pointed a gun to JW's head? Amazing they managed to finally release Sugarland.

Probably the same someone that made him do Heartbeeps 

On 20/06/2024 at 12:25 AM, Alejandro said:

Probably the same someone that made him do Heartbeeps 

His heart was pounding, I guess...

On 16/06/2024 at 6:50 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

In light of that, it's perhaps less surprising that Spielberg almost went with Jerry for Jaws (definitely on my parallel universe bucket list).

I'd love to visit this alternate reality where Jaws was composed by Jerry Goldsmith!

On 17/06/2024 at 2:54 AM, Mr. Hooper said:

“Oh, Mr. Herrmann!” Spielberg blurted. “I’m such an admirer of your work. You’re such an amazing genius!”

Herrmann flashed one of his infamous scowls.

Then he replied, “So why do you always hire that John Williams?”

"Well, because he is an amazinger genius." 

2 hours ago, phbart said:

I'd love to visit this alternate reality where Jaws was composed by Jerry Goldsmith!

Absolutely. And Superman. While Jaws is obviously an indelible classic, I can more easily imagine Jerry scoring it very effectively than Superman. However, JW is basically the perfect fit for Superman and I genuinely can’t imagine anyone else scoring it. I go back to my point about certain films for which JW’s talent is absolutely a perfect fit and those handful where, although what he wrote is absolutely terrific, another composer could have done an equally good job (I don’t actually mean Jaws in that group for the avoidance of doubt!).