NEW! THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS - World Premiere Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - La-La Land Records

Holko

Does anyone have the bootleg and can compare to see what source cues we're missing from the official release?

It's also strange that they're in the main programme, and not in the end of it...

9 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Does anyone have the bootleg and can compare to see what source cues we're missing from the official release?

It's also strange that they're in the main programme, and not in the end of it...

A number of 8 music sources. If I can compare one of the bootleg I have.

Capture d’écran 2024-06-30 à 14.55.14.png

32 minutes ago, aescalle said:

A number of 8 music sources. If I can compare one of the bootleg I have.

track 15 Cartoon music is also a source cue, that was confirmed is in the official release.

17 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

What is the length of the boot including source music?

45.04''

But it has 2 main titles (I think they are just 2 different performances), and the theme from Sugarland Express (track 1) that I don't know what it is.

27 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

What is the length of the boot including source music?

45 minutes.

I'm trying to find how many concert versions of The Sugarland Express theme there are.

If I'm not mistaken there are 2?

One here:

Music_John_Williams_40Year_TVPMCD%20810.

and one here:

Spielberg_Williams_Collaboration_S2K6237

which is the same with the one here?

4107zI3zp9L._SY300_SX300_QL70_FMwebp_.jp

Just now, Miguel Andrade said:

There is also one from Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops.

Is it different as a composition than those 2 I mentioned, or is it just another performance?

Parts of it sound like harmonica covers of John Williams, parts are just noodling, one track so far has sounded like Thomas Newman, etc

On 30/6/2024 at 11:46 AM, Miguel Andrade said:

Different arrangements. Kunzel's recording was arranged by Joseph Price. The one on the Silva Screen album, conducted by Mario Klemens, was arranged by Christopher Tin. The other one is Williams own arrangement, of course.

The flute transcription appears on two military band albums. Transcribed by Stephen Bulla. Interestingly, this one is 5+ mins long while all the other suites - Williams for Williams, the Kunzel/Price one, the Klemens/Tin one are all about 3:35. I think the key difference is a long-ish solo flute part.

image.jpeg

winds_01_big.jpg

"The President's Own" performance is also available on the 2-CD release given away at the 2023 concert conducted in part by Williams...

image.jpeg

Front & rear2.jpg

On 30/06/2024 at 4:18 PM, filmmusic said:

Is it different as a composition than those 2 I mentioned, or is it just another performance?

1 hour ago, thx99 said:

"The President's Own" performance is also available on the 2-CD release given away at the 2023 concert conducted in part by Williams...

image.jpeg

Front & rear2.jpg

"John Williams, Guest Conductor" made me smile. 

9 minutes ago, The Great Gonzales said:

Complete SW PT, Indy, and Patriot.

;)

Are you kidding or not?

I can't make out when someone is making fun in this forum...

1 hour ago, BB-8 said:

Expected Ship Date April 1 2027...

Linger notes by, Mike, with additional notes from Lucas, Spielberg, Bouzereu, Kennedy, JJ, Rian, Shore, Peter Jackson, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Cookies....

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

Ah, God, how awesome is it to hear Mike say: I was determined to find out... You just know it has been done now and that there's nothing anyone else still needs to find out.

WOMPI.

Hey can we limit discussion to the Sugarland parts of the podcast in this thread?

There's a thread for the TLOJW podcasts in general that can be used to discuss the ending news:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28888-the-legacy-of-john-williams-website-podcast/

Thanks!

On 02/07/2024 at 1:43 AM, lairdo said:

winds_01_big.jpg

Hey, I actually know one of the trumpet players on this album/in this band! In fact, took trumpet lessons myself from several of the same instructors/directors. Neat-o! :)

(But on topic, I am looking forward to hearing this score as well!)

I have listened to it 3 times already!

(and I still haven't listened to Hook, but it's because Sugarland Express is a lighter score, and Hook requires my full attention for what - 3 hours is it?)

Does anyone know why those certain source cues were left out from this release? Does it say in the liner notes or in the podcast?

It seems strange to me that some were included (including that cartoon source cue) and others weren't.

I dont remeber how they sound. But i'm sure they could have been integrated in the score, after listening to the soundtrack some of it sounds like other source music from Williams in the 70s. There is one track that reminisces Luthor's Luau...

22 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Does anyone know why those certain source cues were left out from this release? Does it say in the liner notes or in the podcast?

It seems strange to me that some were included (including that cartoon source cue) and others weren't.

That's just JW being selective about which source cues he thinks are stylistically at home with the score.

The same thing happened on Eiger, only half the source cues were included.

32 minutes ago, Smaug The Iron said:

Which Tracks om this release are the source cues?

"Franklyn's Fall" is one of them

On 03/07/2024 at 10:25 AM, Amer said:

Fascinating discussion. I was blown away by the fact that The Wrecking Crew was involved with the performance of the Maestro's score; I completely forgot about that fact. I smiled when Mike mentioned having cited the documentary on The Wrecking Crew; I have the documentary and have seen it. The whole discussion was very insightful.Looking forward to getting my copy today and diving into the Maestro's score. I'm surprised there was no mention of when the 4K restoration will come out on Blu-ray. Is Universal planning on announcing that later this year?

2 hours ago, Smaug The Iron said:

Which Tracks om this release are the source cues?

3, 8, 14, 17 seem to be source cues.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

The same thing happened on Eiger, only half the source cues were included.

Oh, I didn't know that!