Hook...Wow!

SilverTrumpet

Just this summer, I found the Hook soundtrack for a mere $10 at a bookstore. I've never listened to Hook before and after seeing some of the movie (it bored me to turning it off) I didn't think much of it but heard everyone here talking about how great it was. So, I find it for $10 and decided to give it a try. I listened to it once and it was ok. For some reason though, I just kept listening to it. Now it is in my top 5 favorites. What is it about this that makes it so amazing? How can such a bad movie have such a great score? I think I even heard somewhere here that JW said he didn't conncect well with this movie. I just want to know if anyone else was in this situation with Hook and to admit to everyone here...you all were right. :P

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid I'm still one of the scores detractors. While it has a few wonderful moments ("Flight to Neverland," "You Are the Pan") it still doesn't give me that swooning feeling I get after listening to a large majority of John Williams scores.

Just for the record: It's probably the least enjoyable and memorable scores he has written in my 29-year life span ... with the exception of "Stepmom."

I've written about this ad nauseam, particularly in another thread. Read it here.

I'm afraid I'm still one of the scores detractors. While it has a few wonderful moments ("Flight to Neverland," "You Are the Pan") it still doesn't give me that swooning feeling I get after listening to a large majority of John Williams scores.

Just for the record: It's probably the least enjoyable and memorable scores he has written in my 29-year life span ... with the exception of "Stepmom."

Well, I guess we're just entirely at odds, aren't we...

I'm not going to touch Stepmom, as I'm in the extreme minority there, but I just can't understand how Hook could be regarded as "unmemorable." Maybe it's just me, but I tend to think "memorability" has at least a sliver of objectivity in it, and I'm just wondering how one could not remember the melodies from Hook...especially the one that begins with the repeated descending minor third...in this respect, if Home Alone can get to people, why can't Hook?

I'm afraid I'm still one of the scores detractors....I've written about this ad nauseam, particularly in another thread. Read it here.

I can't believe I didn't respond in that other thread--especially considering I was the other half of the conversation that was its seed. Man....

The film used to make me ad nauseous too (;)), but it's grown on me. I went through a similar experience with the score, Edag; I ignored it for a few years (and I even had it in my collection, too), until a few multiple listenings gave it a chance to take root and grow into one of my favorite scores. (I believe I gave it third place for the official Top Ten list.)

While I'm now able to "find the magic," Jeff, I still found your thoughts well stated and very valid (as usual). I'm going to have to give it another look, to see if that cut-before-the-musical-number-starts bit is as pronounced as you say. And in the long run, I'm just as disappointed we'll never see the full, musical version of their original vision. Pity. :P

- Uni

I have to throw in my vote and say that I love 'Hook' the score (not the film). 'The Arrival of Tink' and 'Presenting the Hook' are pure Williams magic, not to mention Flight to Neverland, You are the Pan and Ulitmate War.

I still like the movie, and Hoffmann and Hoskins are simply wonderful. As for the score, it has just two problems:

1) There's lots of great music not on the CD, and not on the good-sounding 2 CD boot either (the Korngold-esque part of the battle music).

2) Every time I play the score, I can't help but whistle along nearly all the time. Even when I have headphones on, this still prevents me from hearing all the great counterpoints and orchestrational details.

Seriously, it's one of his best. ;)

Marian - confident that we'll see a 2CD release someday.

:P Hook

The arrival of tink alone is one of his best composed and orchestrated cues EVER. No other working film composer right now can right that technically and magically.

I still like the movie, and Hoffmann and Hoskins are simply wonderful.

I think it was spielbergfilms.com, but I read that Hoffman and Hoskins played Hook and Smee as if they were gay lovers. Pretty funny stuff.

I rented the CD from my local library. I gave it a chance. I could'nt stand the film. Watched about 10 minutes of it and found it incredibly cheesy, and even hated that doodly music JW used for the earlier parts. But as i heard so much raving about it on here, i rented the CD to hear bits i missed later in the film. Still it did'nt capture my imagination so much though. I also saw it for a very cheap reduced price in Hong Kong, so it's obviously not a big seller thesedays. Hook did not captivate me.

I can't find this score anywhere. We need an official complete release dagnammit! Not just so I can finally get my hands on it, but also so we can stop having to make our own complete scores.

- Marc, who likes the film.

:music: John Williams - Zam the Assassin and The Chase Through Coruscant from Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

I also saw it for a very cheap reduced price in Hong Kong, so it's obviously not a big seller thesedays. Hook did not captivate me.

Well, years ago I bought Jaws and E.T. for reduced price...

Marian - who hopes this proves nothing. :music:

Got to say, love this score.

And actually do not mind the movie, not as bad as many say.

Love some of the tracks, absolutely love love them.

Such as 'Ultimate War' and 'Hook-napped', the music is soooooo magical.

And can i just say, i love love love the album cover.

Hehe

still doesn't give me that swooning feeling I get after listening to a large majority of John Williams scores.

When you do that I guess you could call it a Trumpeter Swoon. LOL

Or not. :P

Justin - :roll:

still doesn't give me that swooning feeling I get after listening to a large majority of John Williams scores.

When you do that I guess you could call it a Trumpeter Swoon. LOL

Or not. :|

Justin - :roll:

As your eyes roll, so does E.B. White's body...