First Indiana Jones DVD Review?

Lurker

As a matter of policy Paramount does not allow their video products to be reviewed until 10 days before the release. That being said, this is probably the first on-line review of the Indiana Jones box set. It's not very in-depth, but it does answer some questions.

Neil

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Least interesting because the music feature is poorly done, or least interesting because the reviewer doesn't know a thing about good music?

Marian - :roll:

thats exaclty what i would like to know!!! thank you

Or maybe the reviewer is tired of every  Laureant Bouzereau documentary having a featurette on John Williams.

Neil

Ive never seen any of his featurettes... how do you feel about them?

The only ones I really like were Jaws and E.T. I wish Bouzereau would diversify, instead of the same kind of documentry every time.

I love Williams- but he isn't the most interesting speaker. (Which is why I love the Zimmer and Elfman featurettes- thjey still seem excited about being film composers)

Well, I do like Hans Zimmer- but I think either way, the featurette on Hannibal- which a great gothic score BTW- is one of my favorites. He is still really excited about being a composer, as opposed to Goldsmith or Williams, who seem very blase` in interviews.

Elfman's commentaries, IMO, seem to be overflowing with a sense of how much fun he has writing music.

While we're on the subject- here's an FSM interview with Zimmer, which IMO is the best interview I've ever read with a film composer. He gives credit to others, and his biggest tribute is to Schindler's List.

Just for the record- I love Williams infinatly more than any composer in the history of the world, but my presence here says that, while Zimmer gets bashed very unfairly by most soundtrack fans.

You know, I don't have nothing against Zimmer, just don't like his music. And when I say I don't like it, I really mean it. I have a problem with it... The only thing I find ok from him is the kind of melody for woodwinds he did on Driving Miss Daisy or on As good as it gets... but in the end, it sounds all the same. Before someone replys to that, I know is not the same, but to me doens't shows so much inovation from one thing to another. I have The Thin Red Line, wich has some nice music, but after the first 10 or 15 minutes is just the same thing all the time. But that's just me.

As for feeling excited about his music, I can't talk about Goldsmith, but I do believe Williams is excited on his own, very quiet, soft spoken manner. He was already like this more than twenty years ago!

It's fun when they show Williams conducting a lot,like the E.T. feature.But sometimes he's a bit boring in interviews(but it's usually the same standard questions)

K.M.

I like when the DVDs include featurettes about the music, and I find especially interesting those in "Jaws" and in CEO3K. However, from the point of view of a Williams' fan, the best DVD, and hardest to beat, is "Superman: the Movie", which includes a small commentary about the soundtrack, AS WELL AS THE ISOLATED SOUNDTRACK!

Goldsmith has the isolated soundtrack in "Aliens" and in "Patton", as far as I know. Does anyone know if more of his soundtracks are in this way?

And I agree with Miguel Andrade. I just don't like Hans Zimmer's scores, though I find them rather functional and effective. But I'd say that his best work is "Lion King".

"Superman: the Movie", which includes a small commentary about the soundtrack, AS WELL AS THE ISOLATED SOUNDTRACK!

So does 1941 and The Witches of Eastwick.

Goldsmith has the isolated soundtrack in "Aliens" and in "Patton", as far as I know. Does anyone know if more of his soundtracks are in this way?

Goldsmith wrote ALIEN not Aliens.

The first release of The Mummy had Goldsmiths complete score isolated.

Neil

I just saw yesterday The Ring. I know there was some talk about it when it was released, so as it came out here in dvd, I rent it. Didn't thought much of the film, but I was impressed with the use of music. Not that I liked it, but as Albaicin just put it, it was quiet functional and effective. So after the film ended, I waited for the music credit, and there it was Mr. Zimmer's name. That was all... The music did his paper withion the film. I wonder how would this sound outside of it. Probably just most Zimmer scores sound, at least to me -- and I'm sorry for that, I really am.

As for isolated scores in dvd I know of the following:

Williams: The Witches of Eastwick (not every release of it), 1991 (only Zone 1)

Goldsmith: Hollow Man (with Goldsmith's comentary), LA Confidential

Goldenthal: The Spirits Within

I know that are some dvd with isolated scores by Elfman, just don't know which.

The UK version of WoE also has the score isolated i believe.

As for Elfman's iso scores.

Here are the ones i know of

Beetlejuice

Red Dragon (score and commentary)

Mars Attacks

Planet Of The Apes (score and commentary)

Stefancos- who ripped Red Dragon this week.

BTW Miguel, I also just saw the Ring this week (I hated it), and I liked the use of music in it. I even ripped the end credits, which has some nice strings in it.

Although some of Goldsmith's Alien score is edited into Aliens the film.

Justin -Who learned this from the liner notes of his new Aliens CD he just got. :eek:

Although some of Goldsmith's Alien score is edited into Aliens the film.

Justin -Who learned this from the liner notes of his new Aliens CD he just got. :eek:

Also it seems that some of Goldsmith's Capricorn One is used in Aliens. I'm sure Horner didn't even realize it. :roll:

Neil

Well, i'm sure Horner only made it better, right Neil....

I don't think either cue wound up in the film. :)

Oh and Steef, I don't put words in your mouth. "I doubt that, but if I would, it would be because Williams would have made that piece sooooo much better then the original composer (who's name is completely unknown to me at this point) could have ever hope to do." That post can be found here. :eek:

Neil

That's the whole point.

If I am to look foolish on this MB, then I will be the one to do it, i do not need the un-asked assistance of our Moderator.

Stefancos- who is glad that his dear old friend Ross understands

Cue:

Ren is taking a shower when suddenly a shadow appears on the shower curtain. she is not facing it.

Suddenly the curtain swings open! Ren comes about and screams!

There is Stefancos in a dress, a long frazzled haired wig and a plastic Taco Bell knife!

:happybday:

-Justin's evil deed for the day-