What is Lucasfilm Waiting For????

Kevin McCallister

Okay, less than a month from now, the Indiana Jones trilogy is to be released on DVD, and we have not heard a word, not a word, about any type of expanded soundtrack release for any of the movies. What is wrong with Lucasfilm? If there was anytime to do this, now is it!!!

Kevin McCallister, who really wants these scores completely expanded on CD. 8O

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder who has more control over the Indiana Jones franchise... Lucas, Spielberg, or Paramount or some combination of the three. Now would be a perfect time not only for a soundtrack rerelease of all three scores but what about a theatrical rerelease of all the films? This is just one giant missed opportunity.

The dissapointing theatrical re-release of E.T. is a likely cause why the Indiana Jones films did not get a cinema re-release.

That and the fact that Paramount cares very little about it's back catalogue.

I really did expect score re-releases though.

Dammit.

Stefancos- 8O

Lucasfilm is waiting for their next hit movie. lol. Umm, actually maybe they've gone cheap on marketing costs. They may be puting all there energy into Star Wars and the next Indy movie and neglecting the older versions. Either way, I just want them both to come out. And yes, if they put E.T. back in theaters (of all movies?) then they should put Indy ot as well.

Lucasfilm or Paramount did not bring back E.T. in the theatres, that as Universal, and it was far from the success the wanted it to be.

Stefancos- who saw the new E.T. in theatres, and it made him hunger for the old version.

I agree with those who say that they will probably wait and see if the new Indy film will be a hit. If it is, then there will be Indy mania and no doubt we'll have Special Deluxe "How the f***k will i have the time to listen to or watch all this shit" Bumper complete DVD's and Soundtracks (but not quite complete as the complete complete one will no doubt come out at a later time with another 5 discs with interviews and cleaned up sound) editions complete with bullwhip and fedora super kits in our music stores (phew). Wait and see....:wave:

The dissapointing theatrical re-release of E.T. is a likely cause why the Indiana Jones films did not get a cinema re-release.

That and the fact that Paramount cares very little about it's back catalogue.

I think this might be a generation gap or something but no children I know (12 and under) like E.T., they all think its boring or are just uninterested. My own little sister, who is now 20, doesn't like it. Back in '82 everyone was enchanted by this film and I still am today.

Anyway, I think comparing an Indy cinema release to the E.T. rerelease is kind of like apples and oranges. E.T. is more of a family/kids film whereas Indy is just pure excitement and fun. Family/kids films typically don't earn that much at the box office, at least not any more. I can't see how the Indy films, if released like the Star Wars Trilogy was released in '97, couldn't gross at least $200 million between all three films. Indy, like Star Wars, is just the ultimate popcorn moviegoing experience.

I can't see how the Indy films, if released like the Star Wars Trilogy was released in '97, couldn't gross at least $200 million between all three films. Indy, like Star Wars, is just the ultimate popcorn moviegoing experience.

I agree. The Indy films are great for people of all ages. I don't think there's the "geek" factor of having fans lining up for weeks to see it three or four thimes, but it could get large crowds for three weeks for each film.

Jeff -- who would love to see TOD on the big screen

I hope you're right, Melange.... also, I think Indy is less popular today than what is deserves. :-/

I think this might be a generation gap or something but no children I know (12 and under) like E.T., they all think its boring or are just uninterested.  My own little sister, who is now 20, doesn't like it.  Back in '82 everyone was enchanted by this film and I still am today.

Hmmmm... Maybe in America? It is still seen as something generally fun and magic by kids in Europe. It never fails to air all over the continent around Halloween. Then again, I don't have any children.

• 5 years later...

We should count our blessings. Say what you will about Indy 4, it was still probably the catalyst that put the soundtracks to the first three films back on the radar for the corporate marketing people looking for something to sell. So it took a long time, but hopefully it will have been worth the wait.

I think this might be a generation gap or something but no children I know (12 and under) like E.T., they all think its boring or are just uninterested.

I've shown E.T. (the original version of course) several times to the groups I've been teaching over the past few years (children aged 12 and under) and they always loved it.

Thanks. I've been extremely busy these past few months working on my movie (www.thebluehorse.nl), but have visited the board on an almost daily basis nonetheless.

Great news: on July 26 I finally attended a John Williams concert in Tangelwood while visiting the US for two weeks. To my great surprise Steven Spielberg, Karen Allen and Kate Capshaw were also present. A great experience all the way. The below picture was taken by me.

aaimage-009.jpg

I have several more (Williams backstage, in his limo, and such). Will post very soon.