RotK Trailer - With NEW RotK music!

ChrisAfonso

What? Still no thread about this one?

I think it started showing in American an British theaters yesterday, and folks all over the net are drooling over it...

As was expected, last night there already was a low quality bootleg on the net, from some Asian country (with chinese letters all over the screen), and after some struggle with overoccupied bandwidth I succeeded downloading it... and what can I say: WHOA 8O

This one will be a classic! (As if we didn't already know)

Especially the second half of the trailer is absolutely amazing...

And: Beginning with Aragorn's speech, until the end of the trailer, is a new piece of music incorporating the Gondor theme (heard in FotR SEE as Boromir speaks at the council (solo horn), and in the TTT SEE preview where the orchestra is seen (full brass)) and the "Aragorn" theme/motive (heard in FotR as he draws his sword an walks towards the Uruks, and in TTT during the montage of shots of him riding to Helm's Deep), concluding in a great climax where the music slows down and comes to a halt.

I've made a MIDI of this part of the music, those interested can listen to it here:

http://www.chrisafonso.de/files/rotktrailer.MID

-Chris, who can't wait for the high quality trailer, the trailer on big screen, and finally the movie! 8O

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm excited about, but I decided to wait for the official online release of the trailer on Monday so I won't have to watch a crappy version. 8O And for the same reason, I won't listen to your MIDI file, I want to hear the real thing first.

Marian - who predicts that the third movie will be the best of the three, and probably by far.

The trailer played before Secondhand Lions last night. It's very intense visually. I was just trying take everything in but didn't pay too close attention to the music.

I saw a trailer last night on tv here. is it the same one....

All I can say is wow. i cannot wait.

I cant remember the music that much either....because of the abundance of SFX visuals the trailer treated us to.

I'm especially excited for the Eowyn scenes and not for the aragorn, arwen stuff.

That frown turned to smile from Gollum was a nice detail that i enjoyed seeing.

This trailer is absolutely stunning. According to Doug Adams (who was at the recording sessions) over at moviemusic.com, the music was written specifically for the trailer.

I loved hearing that Gondor theme kick in. It took me a while to reconize it. I knew it sounded familiar and then i remebered the part in the Council of Elrond where Boromir speaks. I saw the trailer on saturday in the cinema, it was attached to Underworld. I think that the cinema here in taiwan did that illegally, don't ask me though, but i thought it was only being played with secondhand lions and was so happy when i saw it. BTW, Underworld is crap, but i expected it to be crap so you could say it filled my expectations.

The thing that really amazed me about this trailer, was some of the shots. My favourite being the shot high above minas tirith, with the 3 fell beasts diving like bombers. And if you look closer and down to the ground in that shot, you can see a huge army. I love the trailer. I was also surprised when they showed shelob, because even though it is a brief shot, when they release it on the net, people can easily pause it and get a good look at her (as i've already done :( ). This movie is gonna be great!

It doesn't necessarily have to be illegal for them to show it with Underworld, since the SHL deal seams to be US only - in the UK it seemingly shows with a bunch of 5 or 6 films.

One of my favourite bits: The camera rising over that huge army (when they leave towards Mordor?). Regarding Shelob, there's a theory at TORn that she's much bigger than she seems in the trailer.

Marian - who likes the combination of Gondor's and Aragorn's themes in the trailer.

Regarding the rising camera and the army: If you refer to the shot before Éowyn's close-up battlecry, I'm pretty sure this is right before the host of Rohan engages in battle on the Pelennor Fields.

Regarding Shelob: The pic could be very accurate I think... gave me the creeps imagining this one crawling through the tunnels... moving fast! Does anyone know if this is the New Zealand based spider species that Richard Taylor said would be the inspiration for Shelob? :(

Regarding the rising camera and the army: If you refer to the shot before Éowyn's close-up battlecry, I'm pretty sure this is right before the host of Rohan engages in battle on the Pelennor Fields.

Possible. My first thought was Black Gate because of Aragorn's pep talk right before the shot, but they could just have edited it that way for the trailer. The terrain is too flat for the hills before the Gate, and I don't think there were that many horses there.

Regarding Shelob: The pic could be very accurate I think... gave me the creeps imagining this one crawling through the tunnels... moving fast!

Oh yes. OH YES!

Marian - arachnophobic.

i'm arachnophobic as well. just last night i dreamt of a spider, woke up and saw one on the ceiling above me. . . .of course i had anthony kill it at 2.45 am!!!!!

that trailer gave me goose bumps. the music is great. i absolutely can't wait. i read on the one ring site that there will be special extended editions playing in the theatres before the release of ROTK and one super long marathon the day of, is this for real, are all theaters doing it?

Ah, I have my vacuum cleaner for that (since the cat is no use as far as spiders are concerned). At least we're in good company, if famous splatter directors like PJ can be arachnophobic, they can't blame us. :(

The extended editions....from what I've read, some theatres will be showing them, but I'm not sure which ones.

Marian - who might watch both extended editions in his home theatre before going to see ROTK.

This is interesting...

From TORn:

Cool Shore Score News!

10/01/03, 12:53 pm EST - Xoanon

ShawnF writes: I was visiting the MusicTAP website and came across this article on the LotR soundtracks. It's a bit vague BUT it does mention that the score for Return Of The King will be released at the end of November! Here is the article: The Lord of the Rings soundtrack is a prolific beast to be sure. It now will get, in addition to the other formats, a Limited Edition 3CD set (probably containing the Trilogy's 3 soundtracks in one set) as well as another collection that will come in a slipcase. These are just written in addition so no info as to what they actually contain are available at this writing. However, the original single disc soundtrack bumps BACK to November 25 rather than the December date for the rest of the issues.

- Marc

Regarding the soundtrack, I will do as the years before and buy the Limited Edition in the fake leather case (They actually don't seem that limited, but the packaging is beautiful)

Agreed. I see no reason to pick up a box set when I have everything in it already anyway. I'll pick up the leather version instead and wait for the expanded releases.

Marian - wondering if the ROTK case will be green.

I saw a trailer for ROTK here today playing in front of Pirates of... - certainly doesnt fit your description of the music or the scenes. Can't remember it well enough to describe it - but I did notice that some of the music was clearly done with samples, and not very well so:)

Hm, you sure? I can't imagine that there is another cinematic trailer out there as this one just came out, and there wasn't another released before it. Did you listen to my midi in the opening post? Did this theme play in the trailer you saw?

-Chris, wondering

Yeah. I am almost positive that this is correct, even though aragorn looks like he is there giving a peptalk. But look at the editing.

Voice over of Aragorn: I see in your eyes ect.

*White horse at the front of the pack*

Aragorn: This day...

*White horse again*

Aragorn: WE FIGHT!!!

*Screaming and wide shot*

*Aragorn raising sword with many orcs running towards them, but this time aragorn is on a BROWN horse (Brego)*

He doesn't appear to be there with the Rohirrim because his horse is brown, not white. And earlier in the trailer (around 9 seconds) in an extremely short shot, we see arogorn with a brown horse at what looks like somewhere near the paths of the dead which is well before the battly of pellanor feilds.

I think one the best bits of music and one of the best shots was when Gandalf is charging out on shadowfax and his staff does that cool glowy thing. :music:

Justin - ;)

Joel, remember the "closing words" of the RotK preview on the TTT DVD?

Èomer: "Ride now! Ride for ruin! And the world's ending!"

I could well imagine this being the end of the pep talk for the Rohirrim, that we see in the trailer (but don't hear).

They cut the trailer really strange though - it looks like Aragorn is giving the Rohirrim pep talk, when in fact at that time his only pep talk is probably to the wind. :music:

Marian - LOL

Hm, you sure? I can't imagine that there is another cinematic trailer out there as this one just came out, and there wasn't another released before it. Did you listen to my midi in the opening post? Did this theme play in the trailer you saw?

-Chris, wondering

As I said, I don't think it's the new trailer you're talking about. The descriptions I read here don't fit. Also I'd imagine the new trailer arrives here in Denmark a few weeks/months later than in the US.

Check the trailer over at apple.com/trailers or at lordoftherings.net and compare. Seeing it would be a better guide than memory. :music:

- Marc, who can't wait for the TTT EE (and RotK).

Lol - it is indeed the same trailer I saw - the music starting at the "There can be no triumph" text is definitely done with samples - the soundquality here on the quicktimes isn't that good so it disguises it a bit, but you can still hear the reverb sounds pretty fake and hasn't been done well. Maybe the first part of the trailer has real, recorded music, but from that text and onwards it's either completely or mostly samples, and only a decent job at using them.

• 3 weeks later...