Jaws, on a scale of 1 to 10.

JoeinAR

On a scale of 1 to 10, 1=worst 10=best  

40 members have voted

1. 1.

How do you rate the movies Jaws? It was the 1st true original summer blockbuster. Its approaching 30 years old, so what do you think?

I gave it a 9. It doesn't affect me the way Raiders, Star Wars and Superman - The Movie do, but it is certainly a great movie. Perhaps if I ever get the opportunity to see it theatrically my opinion will change and it'll get boosted a point. :)

Neil

Morn, you and I agree, a 10, great characters, great action, great storytelling. Oh and did I mention a great score?

I can't listen to those opening strains without feeling a knot in my stomach. And the rest of the movie never lets up on the tension.

Such a great film! Very few big films lately focus on people like this did.

Never really cared for Jaws myself. Although I'm going to give it a 7 for it's good acting and directing. And it's great score. :)

Justin -Speaking his oppinion... ROTFLMAO

Wow, I expected you of all people to rate it much lower.

Joe, surprised.

One of Spielberg's best, part horror movie, part adventure story. Once you get those guys out on the boat to John Williams' stirring music -- that has to be one of the best times I've had at the movies. Every time I watch this film, I have to lament how much the craftsmanship that was once almost commonplace in big studio filmmaking has dwindled in the last three decades to near extinction. The '90s were particularly bad, and the first two years of this century have not been any more promising. Watching "Jaws" today brings with it, besides the satisfaction of watching a really excellent film -- not just an excellent POPCORN film -- the additional wallop of nostalgic longing for a better time at the movies.

A solid 9

I took a point off unfairly, just because the rubber shark looks so silly sometimes, but it still scares the shit out of me!!!! Can I say shit? sorry if I can't :)

It's amazing what they did with that "rubber shark." If you read anything about the making of the film or see any of the documentaries, then you know the thing hardly worked the way it was supposed to. I'm surprised to see some of you here knocking the special effects, since the transitions from full-scale model to actual shark footage is seemless. Also, there is something to be said for the power of suggestion. If "Jaws" were made today, it is most likely we would see the shark, in all its CGI glory, from the very first scene. Nothing would be left to the imagination, and the film would be that much less terrifying.

Lucas used to bitch about how his mechanised dewbacks wouldn't work properly in the desert scenes of "Star Wars," a problem he supposedly "remedied" in the so-called special edition. He would have been wise to let well enough alone. Necessity is the mother of invention. There was something magical about this giant lizard-like creature resting on a dune near the horizon. It was the kind of detail that made SW worth seeing again and again. So much better than the fake-looking substitutes concocted several decades later.

Figo, hoping Spielberg doesn't see ocelot's post and decide to "enhance" his early masterpiece.

A 10 all the way.

The shark, I think, worked wonderfully. Like Figo said, couldn't make the shark do what they wanted, so we didn't get to see the shark as much as they wanted us to, but in the end, that was much better.

~Harry

Well,i have a different opinion...the shark WOULD be better in cgi and would not deter from the original,like the new E.T. scenes and the new Yoda.

Of course,I spielberg was ever to CGI enhanse Jaws,then he would have to include the original version on DVD too,like he is dooing for E.T.

K.M.Who gave the original MCA Jaws album a 9 and the Expanded one a 7,the only expanded Williams release to date I find inferior to the original.

I don't think it would be better as a CG shark. The rubber shark gives people something real and tangible to be afraid of. Who wants to be afraid of something that's not really even there? Who wants to be afraid of a huge teeth-laden cartoon?

~Harry

The rubber shark gives people something real and tangible to be afraid of.  

~Harry

I think you should rephrase that.

K.m.

Why? Are you saying the rubber shark is fake? Sure it is, I'll agree to that. However, would you rather be afraid of something you can touch or something that someone draws on a computer?

~Harry

Why?  Are you saying the rubber shark is fake?  Sure it is, I'll agree to that.  However, would you rather be afraid of something you can touch or something that someone draws on a computer?

~Harry

lot of movies since Jaws had terrffing CGI effects.

K.M.

I don't think it would be better as a CG shark. The rubber shark gives people something real and tangible to be afraid of. Who wants to be afraid of something that's not really even there? Who wants to be afraid of a huge teeth-laden cartoon?

That's not the reason it's scary, spielberg uses atmosphere, violence, music and suggestive danager to make it scary. Showing it as little as possible.

[

That's not the reason it's scary, spielberg uses atmosphere, violence, music and suggestive danager to make it scary. Showing it as little as possible.

of course,for the most part,but the parts they DO show the shark,which is not a whole lot,could be changed to CGI,especially the shark jumped on the sinking boat scene and eating Quint.

i don't know if the shark scene in Perfect Storm was CGI,but the shark was damn convincing and ferocious(one of the very few scenes I liked in that movie).

K.M.who thinks his the McFarlane miniature replica of the shark on the Orca scene looks better than in the actual movie.

Why?  Are you saying the rubber shark is fake?  Sure it is, I'll agree to that.  However, would you rather be afraid of something you can touch or something that someone draws on a computer?

~Harry

K.M.

But lots of movies are not like Jaws. Jaws is special, and the shark should not be CG.

~Harry

~Harry

K.M.

Yes terrifyingly bad CGI effects, ala Deep Blue Sea, which are among the worst ever. The rubber shark was convincing in that movie however.

Jaws should never be touched, and fortunately Spielberg doesn't have the right to change Jaws, since it is Universal Studios film. Even Spielberg himself said that special effects limitations, forced him to make a better film. Why change it. Besides Bruce looks real enough for me.

Lucas used to bitch about how his mechanised dewbacks wouldn't work properly in the desert scenes of "Star Wars," a problem he supposedly "remedied" in the so-called special edition.  He would have been wise to let well enough alone.  Necessity is the mother of invention.  There was something magical about this giant lizard-like creature resting on a dune near the horizon.  It was the kind of detail that made SW worth seeing again and again.  So much better than the fake-looking substitutes concocted several decades later.

Well, the rubber dewback can be more artistic, BUT FAKE-LOOKING CGI?? No man, and in fact that is one of my favourite parts of the movie. And the Stormtrooper is so good, and that was 1997.

Anyways spaceships CGI kicks Models in SW and ESB. ROJ is NEARLY perfect without them. You cannot denny it.

No man, and in fact that is one of my favourite parts of the movie. And the Stormtrooper is so good, and that was 1997.

Threepio said it perfectly in Mos Eisley as that fake looking CG stormtrooper dismounted the dewback.

"I don't like the look of this."

Neil

No man, and in fact that is one of my favourite parts of the movie. And the Stormtrooper is so good, and that was 1997.

Threepio said it perfectly in Mos Eisley as that fake looking CG stormtrooper dismounted the dewback.

"I don't like the look of this."

Neil

?? I didn't saw the stormtrooper dismounting... well i have to see the movie again....

Anyways i'm sure it IS cool :jump:

[

Anyways spaceships CGI kicks Models in SW and ESB. ROJ is NEARLY perfect without them. You cannot denny it.

hmmm,that does have a nuance that makes the line blur between model and cgi..The CG shots of the x-wings leaving Yavin 4 and approaching the Death Star in ANH S.E. are cg,but cg made out of camera scans or the original models...so most of the paint job and detailing is still from the models,and the more realistic and fluid flight pattern is cg.

And BTW,no cg spaceships were added in neither ESB or ROTJ S.E.,only matt lines cleaned up and better "reactor" lighting cg effects to the existing models.

In Aotc,i noted there was still problems with pure cgi ships that are meant to be huge,like the "pre"-Star Destroyers at the end.Maybe there is still a limit to what cg can do yet.You have to see the originally built model Star Destroyers,5-6 foot long with detailing that can only be seen with a magnifing glass.I did.

and JoeinAr,Deep Blue Sea was made a few years ago...now cg can master animals perfectly,and came pretty close with humans in Final Fantasy.

K.M.

Speaking of Deep Blue Sea, did anyone catch the Jaws reference in that movie? It's subtle, but it's there.

Hint, Hint - in Jaws this was a reference to a particular kind of movie that Spielberg wanted to direct

Neil

I gave Jaws a 10. It still holds up great after 27 years. The chemistry between the three main characters is great, plus they are supported by a well cast supporting cast. I still feel a lump in my throat when Alex Kintner's mom confronts Brody. While the shark looks dated I've always thought if you have a solid film the visuals will blend in perfectly much like the original King Kong (1933) and most of Ray Harryhausen's films. Williams score is great and thank god the shark had problems. Using the barrels was a great idea.

One complaint I hear these days is that much like The Omen, Jaws isn't shocking so how could either film have been so scary and terrifying when they were released. People seem to forget that back in the 70's we hadn't really seen the violence that most film carry now. Back then seeing a shark eat people was something new. Nowadays hell it's tame to what we see on TV even.

If Jaws were made today it wouldn't have nearly the impact it had back in 1975.

One complaint I hear these days is that much like The Omen' date=' Jaws isn't shocking so how could either film have been so scary and terrifying when they were released.

quote']

I have always viewed Jaws as an action-adventure film,even as a kid,it never really scared me all that much.It's tense but not scary in the way I view horror.

As for the 70's HORROR films,well to me they still haven't out done The Exorcist in sheer fright,suspence,story,screenplay,acting, and chlliing to the bone repulsiveness ,and to me the original Omen is a close second,thanks mostly to Jerry's score.

K.M.

If Jaws were made today it wouldn't have nearly the impact it had back in 1975.

Are you so sure.

Think about it, why wouldn't it be. The underwater scene would be just as shocking today as in 75. When the shark first makes its appearance, its just as funny and as scary as 75. If you have never seen Jaws, and were to see it on the big screen today, a modern audience would jump and scream at all the right spots, and they would cheer at the end just as they did 27 years ago. Its all about timing with Jaws, not how flooded our systems are with stimuli from todays world. A more appropriate statement is that Jaws couldn't be made today because no director, not even Spielberg would show the restraint he did back in 1974/75 when he was filming it.

Jaws has stood the test of time and is a classic for many reasons, beyond being just frightening. Jaws makes you think, not necessarily deep thoughts, more primitive perhaps, but it makes you think.

As far as impact goes, today just as 27 years ago, go swimming, and then hum the theme out loud, people around you will know where it comes from, some will laugh, some will tell you to stop, some will just get out of the water. Jaws impact is alive and well.

The exorcist is very good, but The Omen kicks it's ass i think, it's even better.

Oh yes, and the shark looks fine like it is, i hope no one tampers with that film.

Stefancos- who thought CGI E.T. looked like something from Tom and Jerry.

Joe, you are dead-on correct as usual.

Luke, I deny and DEFY you. The new dewbacks sucked. That scene was one of the biggest groaners in the SE, nearly on a level with the CGI Jabba (but still well behind the unnecessary Jawa pratfall).

King Mark, if you really think "Jaws" would have been better with CGI, I feel sorry for you. The added bathroom scene in "E.T." was a major miscalculation. Not only did the creature not match up with the rest of the film, the scene itself was lame (Eliot pouring Coke into the phone to simulate vomit) and disrupted the flow of the picture. The same goes for the stupid Halloween addition. I'm not sure who you're discussing these matters with, but you really lucked out finding friends who share your same vulgar, bad tastes and cockeyed perception of what makes good, realistic entertainment.

I wish these former masters (Lucas, Spielberg, Coppola, and Donner -- or whomever is responsible for tinkering with "Superman") would leave their early masterpieces alone. If they want to cram their new movies with CGI or pad them out with extra, unnecessary scenes, fine. But let the old stuff be. If you are incapable of making a good film today, does it automatically follow that you must deface and destroy anything good you may have created in the past?

They should all be regarded as a bunch of octogenarians who were once excellent drivers. Once the vision goes, sometimes it's a good idea to take away the keys.

And BTW,no cg spaceships were added in neither ESB or ROTJ S.E.,only matt lines cleaned up and better "reactor" lighting cg effects to the existing models.

I thought about the same before posting, BUT remembered the kicking ass Falcon entering Cloud city (that has CGI cloud cars too). Also maybe Vader's Shuttle it CGI too, i'll have to check. AS I SAID, ROJ is nearly perfect without them, i meant that ROJ didn't have CGI ships, an that the models move almost perfectly (but CGI will work better in some scenes) I love ROJ battle scenes.

Modern CGI for space is great, the TV show Enterprise does not use models, it's all CGI. And it looks even better than models did.

Luke, I deny and DEFY you.  The new dewbacks sucked.  That scene was one of the biggest groaners in the SE, nearly on a level with the CGI Jabba (but still well behind the unnecessary Jawa pratfall).

Of course Dewbacks Groan, that how they communicate, they are animals they cannot speak.

Jabba? I like it. But TPM was diferent. Or either they changue TMP to fit ANH or change ANH to fit TPM. I do not bother.

Figo, believe what you want

**modest silence** :):angry:

Luke, expecting anxiously Lucas Makes Super Special editions of the Movies with all old generation effects changed with CGI ;)

AND expecting also Figo answering the same to me

Of course Dewbacks Groan' date=' that how they communicate... [/quote']

At least they CAN communicate.

Figo, giving up on Luke until he can afford a translator.

Of course Dewbacks Groan' date=' that how they communicate... [/quote']

At least they CAN communicate.

Figo' date=' giving up on Luke until he can afford a translator.[/quote']

Speak in Spanish, and we'll see.

And SORRY if i write quickly.

Corrected sentence:

Of course Dewbacks groan, that IS how they communicate. They are animals, they cannot speak.

Are you refering that i write bad or that i do not understood what you said?

If it is the second i think you didn't get my sarcasm.

Luke, pasando de Figo porque no merece la pena discutir :)

Luke, perhaps you should preview your posts before clicking submit, that way you can proof your post. Since english is my only language, and I am not a master of it, I try to proof everything, but sometimes I miss things too, but I always try to go back and correct them.

Joe, whose grammar is usually better than his spelling.

Luke, perhaps you should preview your posts before clicking submit, that way you can proof your post.   Since english is my only language, and I am not a master of it, I try to proof everything, but sometimes I miss things too, but I always try to go back and correct them.

Joe, whose grammar is usually better than his spelling.

OK i'll try that.

Apologies, Luke. It was a low blow, and I knew it.

NO matter, if you meant it, of course :angry:

If you wanna know, i wrote in Spanish: 'Luke, not minding about Figo because it is no use discussing about it. :mrgreen:' or something like that. Or what you thought? ;)

And you shoud know that translator usually do not translate correctly. :) So i would need Protocol Droid, for example.

Well, at least you have a sense of humor. (I think. :) )

Figo, who took one semester of Spanish, and squandered the rest on French.

I did this poll with the intention of doing several on the older genre Williams films that have captured my heart and soul, and loyalty.

Here hoping that filmmakers will one day be loyal to their original visions.