The Lord of the Rings Symphony - Antwerps Sportpaleis - Antwerp Belgium - April 16 2004

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stefancos, I'm a bit late so you may have already gotten the info you wanted. But if you haven't here's a pointer.

Head over to:

http://www.teleticketservice.com/v2/main.h...?lang=en&page=1

and scroll down to the bottom of the page and you'll find the entry for the concert on the 16th April 2004. It lists the range of ticket prices available. You cannot order the tickets online but have to telephone the "hotline" to arrange payment, etc. (they don't accept credit cards either).

Go back to the top of the page and click on the "Practical Information" tab and follow the instructions in the "How to make a reservation by telephone" section. I phoned this morning and booked a couple of tickets (on the 2nd row!) and it was pretty easy. There are two phone numbers - a Belgium phone number (070/345.345) or an international number (+32-34-0000-34).

They'll make your reservation then and take your postal address so that they can send you an information pack with details of how to pay (involves your bank). Once payment is received they'll send out the tickets...apparently.

Hope this helps.

Performed in het "Antwerps Sportpaleis".

Is that somekinda Amsterdam Arena?

http://www.sportpaleis.be/?page=kalender&s...info&nummer=162

Anyone know anything about the Vlaams Radio Orkest, are they up to the task?

Stefancos- who's pretty sure they ain't no Royal Philharmonic.

Just reserved a ticket.

35,50 is not exactly cheap is it, i hope it's worth it..

The Orchestra consists of 90 persons, but the choir has (only) 25.

Stefancos- who has no idea how a Belgian choir is gonna handle the throathy, gutheral vocals of The Bridge Of Khazad Dum. :)

Wow, that's great! What are people's feelings on the venues so far? Is there one performance that will probably be better than the others? (Besides the New Zealand one, which I have no chance of getting to.)

Well,

As I live in Belgium I can tell you that the Sportpaleis is indeed something like the Arena in Amsterdam. I think there are about 16000 seats, but if the 'middenplein' also has seats more ofcourse.

I'm going to the Sportpaleis on november 11, for the Night of the Proms (don't know if you have ever heard of that, Stefancos). The soundquality isn't fantastic, but they have worked a lot on that the last couple of years.

The Vlaams Radio Orkest is a well know orchestra in Flanders, but it is ofcourse not comparable with the LSO or something like that.

I hope you enjoy the concert, and maybe I will go to!

• 2 months later...

A bit more information for the one attending.

In a Belgium magazine called 'Knack'.

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE SUITE.

bla bla bla bla bla bla...

Shore has adapted his own complex score to a symphonic suite in six mouvements. He'll conduct this suite with more than 200 (!!!) musicians and a liveprojection with the Flemish Radio Orchestra and a choir for the continental European premiere.

:)

Incidentally, TORn posted the contents of the movements a month or so ago:

From the programme:  

Movement One  

The Prophecy * Concerning Hobbits * The Shadow of the Past * A Short Cut To Mushrooms * The Old Forest * A Knife in the Dark

Movement Two  

Many Meetings * The Ring Goes South * A Journey in the Dark * The Bridge of Khazad-dum * Lothlorien * Gandalf's Lament * Farewell to Lorien * The Great River * The Breaking of the Fellowship

Movement Three  

Foundations of Stone * The Taming of Smeagol * The Riders of Rohan * The Black Gate is Closed * Evenstar * The White Rider * Treebeard * The Forbidden Pool

Movement Four  

The Hornburg * Forth Eorlingas * Isengard Unleashed * Gollum's Song  

Movement Five  

Hope and Memory * The White Tree * The Steward of Gondor* Cirith Ungol * Anduril  

Movement Six  

The End of All Things * The Return of the King * The Grey Havens * Into the West

I don't know what that cue The Old Forest is, though. Is it especially composed? Or is it some of the traveling music combined?

- Marc, getting amped. :)

ECCS2410.jpg

Same here guys :)

I've paid my tickets some time ago and I also haven't received them yet :(

And too bad that tracks like 'Breath of Life' , 'Minas Tirith' and 'The Black Gate Opens' will not be performed.

Still, the rest of the programme looks great!

Oskar

Don't toy with me, woman... :):P

Sorry you can't come to Antwerp, though. The more I think about, the more excited I'm getting for this. It's just over three months away! :(

- Marc, signing off.

it just seems when ever he's in boston. . . .there's something else i have to be at. being a musician. . .. . ..like parades, concerts. Because JW is usually there around a holiday.

Um, anyone want to be philanthropic and give me a ticket? And airfare? :-p

On a more serious note, do you have any idea if this "Symphony" is going to be released to sheet music? I imagine it'll be horridly expensive, but...

Holy Doubletake! :)

Isn't Mr. Shore conducting a Lord of the Rings concert in Ohio?

Indeed. :(

Here is proof: http://www.columbussymphony.com/newseason0...ringpackage.htm

http://www.csobravo.org/newseason0304/lordfriday.htm

Justin -Who notes no chorus is going to come but hey it's a 2 hour drive away. I'm so there! :P

The Ohio concert? March 26th at 8 P.M. :( And whaddaya mean it's not close? It's only....4.....5....states away! :P

Justin -Who would have prefered Goldsmith comming to Ohio....oh well... :)

Cool

Stefancos- who still has not recieved his ticket for this concert.

I was in contact with them the other week and the tickets had not been sent then. It didn't seem as they had any idea as to when they would be sent. All I was told was that when they are ready for dispatch then they will be shipped.

And as with everyone else, I paid for my tickets ages ago - before they had the online booking system up and running. So it was bankers draft payment and that cost me an additional £20. Then there's the airfare to Belgium, and then the accommodation. I wish I had waited for confirmation of the London concert...that would have been much cheaper.

Incidentally' date=' TORn posted the contents of the movements a month or so ago:
From the programme:

Movement One

The Prophecy * Concerning Hobbits * The Shadow of the Past * A Short Cut To Mushrooms * The Old Forest * A Knife in the Dark

Movement Two

Many Meetings * The Ring Goes South * A Journey in the Dark * The Bridge of Khazad-dum * Lothlorien * Gandalf's Lament * Farewell to Lorien * The Great River * The Breaking of the Fellowship

No "May It Be"? Rats. I guess Enya has some kind of hold on it.