Anything Goes

Lurker

While watching the DVD of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (a very nice looking DVD with great sound, I was hearing details in the music and effects I never heard before, and that's saying something about this Indy fan) I was just wondering how many here actually can sing along phonetically to the mandarin version of "Anything Goes" at the beginning of the film. I'll admit, I'm guilty of it.

Neil - who doesn't know the english lyrics to that song. ROTFLMAO

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know bits and pieces. I know the Englush lyric, and I'm constantly going between English and Mandarin. I don't know if the translation is accurate, but at least the melody is the same.

Jeff -- who heard a Chinese version of "My Heart Will Go On" and loved it almost as much as Celine's

"Yi wang si-i wa ye kan dao Xin li bian yao la jing bao jin tian zhi

Dao Anything goes."

Source:http://www.admiralsarms.com/indy/ag/

My Mandarin is not that good yet. but it's getting there.

But I can tell you that Kate Capshaw's Chinese is a LOT better than that girl on IndianaJones Trilogy cd's butchered mess.

I'll keep looking for some official lyrics.

A student co-worker could sing the Mandarin version quite well.

BTW, my wife & I met in High School (many years) ago in a production of Anything Goes. Alas, it was the English version.

I don't do that bad of a job when I sing along with it, which is every time I listen to it. I must admit that I prefer Capshaw's Mandarin rendition of it than any version in English that I've heard. It's just really that cool.

On a similar sidecar:

I used to sing along phonetically to the Ewok Celebration on the 1993 box set disc to Return of the Jedi when I carried it with me. I was at a speech meet at Susquehanna my sophomore year, sitting down waiting for my scores and listening to the headphones, and I kinda mumble-sang it when that track came on. One guy looked at me and asked what I was mumbling, but before I could answer, the girl beside him told him that it was the Ewok song to one of the Star Wars movies. It was pretty cool at the time, but looking back, I should've gotten her name and phone number...a girl that perceptive isn't one to let slip away! :)

I also love the ominous sounding music that opens the film(best Williams film opening?)

Not by a mile...nothing Williams ever did or will do tops the Fox Fanfare, the short pause, and then the trumpet TAAA! fanfare. Nothing.

Temple of Doom does have the best opening of the three films. We already know to expect a doom-filled temple, and the film opens on some sort of ceremony. There's a gong and then a dragon. This must be what the title is talking about, right? And then suddenly there is a female chorus heard and a blonde here. What's going on? And then the whole thing turns out to be a musical number. Brilliant!

Neil

is anything goes music by john Williams? (i thought not)

The song "Anything Goes" is by Cole Porter. I believe the opening heard in Temple of Doom though is by Williams.

DO you guys sing it? In mandarin?

I do. :P

I would want to see that :mrgreen:

Oh no, I'm not letting you in to watch me shower! :)

Neil

I don't sing 'Anything Goes' in either language, but I do like to tap along with the dancers when watching the film. :mrgreen:

Jeff

:) Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Williams)

I love how the main title in Temple of Doom are overlapsed by her singning. Really the whole first scene of the movie is pure joy, until they get aboard the plane.

I believe that The Temple of Doom is Spielberg's best opening sequence -- much better in my opinion than Chrissie's Death, Peru 1936, or the candle in Schindler's List. Following ToD are the opening sequences of Minority Report and the We Don't Wanna Grow Up scene from Hook (what better way to open a movie about Peter Pan?). Strangely enough, they are the two Spielberg movies that appeal less to me.

I thought the song Anything Goes was in Cantonese, not Mandarin

I have to say it really does not sound to me like Cantonese..

Cantonese isn't exceptionally common that far north, anyway, although the "Temple of Doom," I suppose, isn't necessarily the paradigm of authenticity in the first place.

I thought the song Anything Goes was in Cantonese, not Mandarin

I have to say it really does not sound to me like Cantonese..

Cantonese isn't exceptionally common that far north, anyway, although the "Temple of Doom," I suppose, isn't necessarily the paradigm of authenticity in the first place.

Very true on both.

If they wanted to be accurate, since the opening was set in a local Shanghai club, they should've spoken Shanghai-nese or Mandarin, not Cantonese.

Cantonese is only spoken in Hong Kong.

The language that Short Round spoke is Cantonese. And both IJ and Shorty spoke Cantonese during the Temple of Doom (so says my friend).

Mandarin is the official language (spoken and written) in China and its provinces. Cantonese, Taiwanese, Shanghai-nese,etc are all local languages from each province. But everyone has to know Mandarin.

In Kate Capshaw's song, there's a couple Mandarin words I could distinguish.

Oh yeah, in Goonies, the chinese characters on the bottom, at the end of the movie, say: He's a super strong soldier..

Loose translation: He's Superman....

I recall reading the song was performed in Shanghai dialect, as Chinese has many, many dialects.

Here are the lyrics from the sheet music. I learned to sing it myself back in 1985 by listening to the song on tape over and over again, writing it down phoenetically.

Yi wang si wa yi kan dao xin li bian yoa la jing bao jin tian zhi dao

Anything goes.

Yi wang yi liu zuo jia cuo ci mei hao jin zhi shi xia liu fang yan yi tao yi tao

Anything goes.

Feng kuang shi jie shan e dian dao zhou bian wei ye bai bian wie zao

dang meng zhong wang zi da dou zhi shi gui nu ke xiao

Gu ci wo sui fei hua lun tian lao dang wo jun hun zhi dao jun yi ding hui bao

Anything goes.

Interestingly, the Japanese LP soundtrack omitted the "dang wo jun hun zhi dao jun yi ding hui bao" before Kate Capshaw's final "Anthing goes", but included the tap dancing.

Just got done watching TOD on DVD , and I have to say that I enjoyed this movie a lot more than I had when I first saw it. I really really liked it. But I absolutely LOVE the opening sequence. I always have. From the Paramount mountain turning into the mountain on the gong, to the way Kate Capshaw is shown IN FRONT of the opening title (always liked that neat little effect) to the tap dance musical sequence. And, I love the song (always have) to boot! Great opening! Great fun! Perfect opening. It's too bad movies aren't "fun" anymore (loose, blanket statement here with nothing to back it up but that's how I feel about movies in general anymore!). And a on a side note... they really really NEED to release an expanded TOD cd! I WANT those end credits as heard in the movie (combining the March of the Slave Children, and the Indy March is just pure orgasmic gold!!)

Anything Goes is a classic Broadway song from the era, Luke.

The reason Willie stands in front of the title is a bit of an in-joke. The marketing people said that Raiders of the lost Ark, being so popular, did most of the advertising for the film and realized that the image of Indiana Jones was so strong they said that they didn't even need to show the title of the movie on screen. That's why the main title is obscured. I love it!

Neil

The reason Willie stands in front of the title is a bit of an in-joke.

I love it when Kate Capshaw is moving away backwards from the camera, looking at us, and she hops up onto the next level, and almost trips but composes herself and smiles. Priceless.

Spielberg has always said he wanted to direct a musical. Now that "Moulin Rouge" and "Chicago" have paved the comeback, with quite a few in preproduction, I hope he jumps on the bandwagon.

The song "Anything Goes" is by Cole Porter.  I believe the opening heard in Temple of Doom though is by Williams.

:)

:(

For me, Mr. Porter is, along with George Gershwin, the best songwriter of all-time. I thought I'd let you all know.

Roman.-)

I remember reading that originally there was to be a "reprise" of the song "Anything Goes" during the scene where Indy, Willie and Short Round are riding the elephants. Willie starts singing to herself, Indy and Short Round join in(!), and her singing is actually what prompts the elephant to squirt her off its back. Not sure if this scene was actually filmed and then edited out, or if it just never made it into the final screenplay. In any event, I remember this scene was in the novelization that came out at the time and wishing they'd included it in the film!

I remember reading that originally there was to be a "reprise" of the song "Anything Goes" during the scene where Indy, Willie and Short Round are riding the elephants.   Willie starts singing to herself, Indy and Short Round join in(!), and her singing is actually what prompts the elephant to squirt her off its back.   Not sure if this scene was actually filmed and then edited out, or if it just never made it into the final screenplay.  In any event, I remember this scene was in the novelization  that came out at the time and wishing they'd included it in the film!

It was filmed. A lot of Spielberg books include a photo in which Short Round and Indy ride elephants and have their hats in their hands and their mouths wide open, like in those classic musicals.

I'm kind of glad it was dropped, though. Can't find a good place for it to not ruin the whole ambience of the movie.

kutsa wotsa metchee tou me

Gutsu... :angry:  

I also love the ominous sounding music that opens the film(best Williams film opening?)

K.M.

That would be "Incident at Isla Nublar"

Speaking of this.... can anybody tell me *WHAT* is that 2-3 second sound at the start of The Last Crusade. There's this weird sound, it serves no purpose and it's completely out of the reason of the movie. It's just before the strings start into "Indy's very first Adventure".

It puzzles me, it's not on the bootleg either. ??????¿?

Sorry but I always hated the opening to Temple of Doom.

That dance number is a good idea on paper but in the movie it just feels gratuitous.

Not to mention the action that follows is so ridiculously goofy.

I always felt the 2nd film was the weakest by far.

That Short Round kid damn near ruined the movie. Every time I hear that little shit say "Vewy Fanny" in that movie I want to fly to China find his grown up ass and strangle the life out of him.

Filmaking rule # 56932: Child side kicks are lame and stupid. :)

The above lyrics are not in general pin yin. So I think it's Cantonese. Could anyone post the Chinese characters? :)

sigh....i don't understand what you mean by "general" pinyin.

What makes you think it's not general?

KryptoniteKid's translation looks a lot like Pinyin. And it's pretty accurate I might add.

Nice job, Krypt. (saved me a lot of trouble)

Sigh....I would love for someone to post the Chinese characters.

Then I could read it and solve this mess once and for all.

Kate's version of the song,I am 90% sure, is Mandarin. And NOT Cantonese.

Yi wang si wa yi kan dao xin li bian yoa la jing bao jin tian zhi dao

Anything goes.

Yi wang yi liu zuo jia cuo ci mei hao jin zhi shi xia liu fang yan yi tao yi tao

Anything goes.

Feng kuang shi jie shan e dian dao zhou bian wei ye bai bian wie zao

dang meng zhong wang zi da dou zhi shi gui nu ke xiao

Gu ci wo sui fei hua lun tian lao dang wo jun hun zhi dao jun yi ding hui bao

Anything goes.

Zhi dao="to Know" in Mandarin.

Yi ding= "definately" in Mandarin.

Jin Tian=Today

Kan dao= able to see.

Wasn't the lyrics something like....

olden days a "glimpse".............heaven "KNOWS".......

The song is not in Cantonese.

Only the dialogue between Indy and Shorty is Cantonese.

Well, suposeddly, Shorty was a Shanghai street kid, and yet he speaks Cantonese. which is incorrect.

You are right that about 8% of the lyrisc are mandarin. How about the rest then? When read only the passages you mentioned form coherent parts of sentences and words like wa, cuo, e and wie are definitely not mandarin. Ok, not Cantonese but Shanghai dialect I think.

• 2 weeks later...