Return Of The King SCORE Discussion

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think RotK is a much better score than the two previous ones,which finally sparked my interest.It's much more majestic.It works much better in the movie too.I love the flutes with the driving background chords in The Black Gate Opens,that is the part that first caught my attention.

The prelude of the score(logo music,first 30 seconds of A Storm is Coming) is very cool,it actually has a Williams feel to it.

K.M.

My god, this was torture... but finally it's done!

Shelob's Lair:  MIDI /  Sheet Music (Scorch)  

Well, at least this was the peak of difficulty... everything that follows now is a piece of cake by comparison ;)

wow.. thats impressive! way to go!

i knew what you meant.......i don't think they're real

What do you mean? They exist don't they? If they fell down in a forrest they'd make a sound.

Justin

Well,i borrowed the first 2 scores from my local library.

K.M.Wondering what's the difference between downloading MP3's and borrowing a c.d.

The CD's at the library are paid for.

Neil

I don't really like Trudeu's reviews although he gives a lot of credit even to the ones he doesn't like, I don't like his choices so far. I loved Royal Brown's from last year- although he made absolutely moronic comments about Road to Perdition, Frida and The Hours, he gave the most enthusiastic review of Catch me if You can I've ever heard (He called it Brilliant and Wonderfully Witty)

I don't really like Trudeu's reviews although he gives a lot of credit even to the ones he doesn't like, I don't like his choices so far. I loved Royal Brown's from last year- although he made absolutely moronic comments about Road to Perdition, Frida and The Hours, he gave the most enthusiastic review of Catch me if You can I've ever heard (He called it Brilliant and Wonderfully Witty)

I also don't fully agree with Trudeau's decisions but it's nice to be able to listen to any commentary regarding the Oscar scores. I love how he bashes James Horner every year. I think he's moronic for bashing Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone, and picking FOTR over A.I.

Those are great sheets Chris. The official music book is out, or at least available at www.music-notes.com

They seem a bit simple compared to yours but they're only samples. Let's see what they're like then! Please keep up the great work. I'm looking foward to "The Black Gate Opens" and how you take "Into the West". "Return of the King" is pretty long, the version in the official book is apparently 10 pages. The speed of the piece is rather slow though, so it might not be that bad; I hope it doesn't kill you! :nono:

BTW I was still wondering on this. Been meaning to ask it for a while.

How did this thing even get nominated for an Oscar?

I thought someone posted here that the Motion Picture Academy put forth some rule that sequel scores could no longer be nominated for an Oscar because they reused music from past films?

Was that not correct or am I thinking of the Golden Globes?

As long as Prisoner of Azkaban is nominated next year (providing it's a good score) I'll be happy. I'm glad that RotK was nomnated and won, but if they exclude PoA because of the "no sequel" rule there will be hell to pay!!

Now that I'm over the Oscars,he's the lowdown:

FotR:Pretty good score , a lot of interesting tracks ,too much of the same scary chorus theme in the first half of the c.d.,i can't tell the tracks apart.

Best tracks:

The Prophecy

Many Meetings

The Ring Goes South

The Bridge of khazad dur

Lothorian(not the first 30 seconds though)

The Great River

Breaking of the Fellowship

Two Towers:

It's alright as background music for my video games i'm playing.Gollum's song is the best,but the theme is not used in the movie.Other than that I think the Rohan theme is really weak and flavorless.It's mostly responsible for my low opinion of these scores up to now.

RotK:

The best of all,a lot more interesting to listen to and better paced:

Best tracks:

A Storm Coming

The White Tree

Anduril

The Black Gate Opens

The End of All Things

But the long track after that sort of drags...

I still find after listening to this that Shore lacks a distinct voice,he's sort of based on Horner and Barry,except without any trademark style.

Oh,and Shelob's Lair sounds like the first minute of Williams The Final Duel in Jedi(when Vader is searching for Luke under the throne room)

K.M.

Yeah, "Journey in the dark" is amazing. It's even better when heard live: The puslating bass drum and the low piano growling gives it an incredibly frightening tone that simply isn't there on the CD (SACD/DVD-A anyone? :thumbup: ). I also like the sad and noble section at Durin's tomb.

Chrisafonso's piano transcriptions are amazing, too. Actually I am wondering where he is, because I need another fix of ROTK-Piano music until my songbook arrives. Hmmm, I can foresee that the songbook won't be in the same league as his work (meaning: it'll be much worse....)

yes the published arrangments are no where near chris'. i'll have to post my faves of LOTR when i get home. Durin's tomb is an excellent cue.

Ren, counting the days till ROTK EE.

Seems that the interest in ROTK has faded. And Chrisafonso is no longer gracing us with his fantastic arrangements. :cry: :cry:

Anyway: Yesterday my ROTK-Songbook finally arrived! It is better than the previous two but still embarrassing in regards to arrangement, music selection and amount of content. I'd give it 4/10 points, which is better than the previous two. A review of it will be online on my website very soon. And the whole website will go online in the next weeks, too (Also in an english translation for you non-Austrian people).

You did, and if I reiterate my praise one more time, it will no longer sound convincing. :)

However this is a cool project: Doing a full piano transcription of a soundtrack CD. If Chris is done, he might favor doing the previous movies, too. I wouldn't mind. ROTFLMAO

I picked up the official book today, only because I really wanted "Into the West" and "Use Well the Days".

The version of "Into the West" isn't too good, it's mostly the guitar part that plays through the whole song. I was hoping some of the strong string and horn in the chorus would get more attention in the arrangement... Oh well, Chris will no doubt have something excellent done!

By the way, musicpete, Chris' friend has already transcripted the entire soundtracks to the first two Potter soundtracks.

Thanks a lot!! Never thought I could click that fast... :)

But there's a tiny problem: I don't own Finale and Sibelius 3.1 won't import those files, regardless of which settings I choose... ROTFLMAO Any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

I read on Soundtracknet that the extra DVD on the limited edition soundtrack contains a sneak preview on the box sets that are bound to come out. Since I don't have this limited edition, could anyone who has tell me what it says about these box sets exactly? I'm most curious (since I'm going to buy them).

Greetings!

I don't remember anything about that on that DVD. I might be wrong, but as far as I know, there are no detailed infos on that box set out yet, and Peter Jackson said he doesn't know anything about it and he doesn't have anything to do with it either.

Marian - who will get ROTK:EE and then wait and see. :P

;) Sneakers (James Horner)

• 1 month later...

Here are screencaptures from the bonus DVD of the Limited Edition ROTK CD (the regular Limited Edition that is, not the Internet Limited Edition :roll: )

Some were already published in the booklets of the regular CD release (you know, the one that isn't the Limited or the Internet Limited release :sleepy: )

Anyway, for those who are smart enough just to pay for the music:

Stefancos.

01-the_retreat_from_osgiliath.jpg

02-the_last_son.jpg

03-the_edge_of_night.jpg

04-anduril.jpg

05-the_dimholt_road.jpg

06-the_way_is_shut.jpg

07-_the_argument.jpg

08-the_destruction_of_the_ring.jpg

09-not_once__not_ever.jpg

10-don_t_let_go.jpg

11-the_mountain_of_fire.jpg

12-aragorn_s_coronation.jpg

13-the_grey_havens.jpg

14-into_the_west.jpg

No, we just don't care.

-Ross, who knows Stefancos has probably caused many upon many stickies over the board already with that boob signature.