Return Of The King SCORE Discussion

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone at all planning on buying the LOTR symphony? I'm myself eager to hear it and have higher expectations for it than I've ever had for the scores. Hope the result won't be much costly upon me...  

When's it coming out?

In relation to what I said above I dont think they needed to go into the full backstory of it but they should've AT LEAST mentioned Elrond's partial human ancestry. Especially considering the role he plays later in the story in helping Aragorn become the leader of men.

Maybe he was a 'bastard' and no one noticed....

Dude, the preferred nomenclature is Half-Elven, please.

Lets not forget Dude that keeping wildlife, um... an amphibious rodent, for... um, ya know domestic... within the city... that ain't legal either.

Well it is strange enough that as prideful as the elven are, they do not despise Elrond as a half-human, he even is one of the bosses.

Dragonlance elven are eviler in that way, thing that i dont like sometimes. Well i wrote it in brackets because i knew they did not use that term in Middle Earth nad i didn't to sound too rude. I see i failed....

About you last sentence... i dont have a clue of what are you talking about or to who?

Well it is strange enough that as prideful as the elven are, they do not despise Elrond as a half-human, he even is one of the bosses.

But Elrond was given the choice to whom he wanted to be reckoned, Elves or Men, he chose Elves, while Elros chose Men.

About you last sentence... i dont have a clue of what are you talking about or to who?

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

No need to explain anything about the elves i already said, they are different than the ones in dragonlance. By the way, how odd is to choose one's race? Looks like a 'Character Creation' thing from any roleplaying game :D <- J/k dont get serious please

About your second sentence i still dont get it. Neither the explanation.

At last someone convinces me to check out this score, or at least one track of it.  I heard the Klingon theme in that track.  Pretty blatant.  In the future, if I want to hear "The Klingon Battle" I'll just listen to my TMP CD.  :)

Neil

Neil, this blatant similarity is nothing more then a few similar notes, played very different then Goldsmith ever used his Klingon Theme.

But of course if you wanna use this as an excuse to dislike the LOTR scores then I won't stop you.

It just a bit childish i think.

At last someone convinces me to check out this score, or at least one track of it.  I heard the Klingon theme in that track.  Pretty blatant.  In the future, if I want to hear "The Klingon Battle" I'll just listen to my TMP CD.  :)

Neil

Neil, this blatant similarity is nothing more then a few similar notes, played very different then Goldsmith ever used his Klingon Theme.

That's not a denial!

Neil - not being childish

I think speaking Kilngon is the most pointless aspect of being a Trekkie.

"It's just a TV show! You've taken something I did as a..a lark and turned it into a colossal waste of time! What have you done with your life? you, sir- you must be about 30. Have you ever kissed a girl?" [/paraphrasing]

About your second sentence i still dont get it. Neither the explanation.

So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know ...

Thanks, that explains a lot :)

You are starting to sound like Yoda in the Prequels. (I hope this make you explain yourself better :) )

Be sure to listen to the first minute os Shelob's Lair, you can hear some of that TMP-like music.

If I want to hear TMP music I'll just listen to TMP......or Battle Beyond the Stars. :)

Neil

I think speaking Kilngon is the most pointless aspect of being a Trekkie.

I dunno, some might say speaking french for example is even more pointless. ;) At least Klingon would be fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris, nice job, I just wanted to let you know that I'm thoroughly enjoying playing these on the piano. It's going to be neat to compare what the arrangements are like to the piano solo book they will release soon.

Yes, I'm curious too how that book will look like... Sadly much too often the arrangements in there are oversimplified :/

BTW, the next two arrangements will likely be the first two tracks (On my quest for completeness :mrgreen: )

Not long? :| It takes full 4 to 5 hours per track (and those are the short tracks of the album ;))

My trick? Don't know... Rip the next track from cd and put it into WMP (easier to navigate back and forth inside the track than with my cd player), create new Sib file, and work through it on a bar to bar basis (listen to a short segment several times in a row, transcribe the most obvious things (main melody, bass notes, ...), then try to get the stuff right that's going on in the background ...)... always checking with the cd track that it sounds satisfyingly consistent.

Well, an advantage of Shore's music is that often the harmonies etc. are not THAT hard to figure out (Yeah, I'lll have quite some fun when I get to Shelob's lair ;))... I don't want to know what my friend went through who transcribed the HP albums...

OK OK,i have been trying for a while not to like this,but now that I have the c.d.

I hate having to admit it...

but it's very good.(except the violin fiddle parts)

And the best part of the score is missing,the chorus of the "Main" theme after The Black Gate Opens when they climb the mountain...a bit like having RotJ without Final Dual(ahem Steef).

Shore also need to work on his key changes.I notice that he builds the music well for a while but then suddently drops the ball on a bad choice of notes at a crucial moment,like in The Black Gate opens at 3.17,as you can feel yourself climbing with Frodo and Sam,but suddenly the mood is ruined.And his cue climaxes lack some punch after building up great,like he runs out of air after a while .THAT is where Williams never fails.I hear a lot of cues that were "almost great".Williams is much better at "releasing" the best possible version of a theme at the right time.A good example of this would be in the Reunion of Friends cue on CoS. at 2.17 when finally the main Harry theme is heard on horns and strings,can you imagine it played more perfecty,probably not.(well i hope that paragraph leaves something open for some discussion,because i'm not trying to make senseless bashing)

K.M.

First: Nice that you have warmed up to this fantastic music! :P

The problem you mention appeared to me as well... I'd say part of it is just due to album editing - i.e. cues that are meant to build up to something are cut off in mid-air, so-to-speak. That's where in Williams albums the music mostly cross-cuts to another cue, until one of them ends on a real final note. But I guess it's a real film score inherent problem, as you can't have "endings" in the all the time when it's the sort of film that has a back-to-back score... the music always goes somewhere.