Luke screaming in ESB?!?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this is probably the 2nd biggest complaint about the SE's after Greedo shooting first.

Neil - who hopes the walls at Skywalker Ranch are padded

It is my BIGGESTcomplaint. I absolutely hate that.

There is no reason what so ever for him to scream.

the Ultimate blunder in the entire special editions.

Joe, who feels ROTJ fared best in the SE's

Did Lucas do it to ruin the high quality of the film he's jealous he didn't direct?

Of course not. Remember, he trashed Star Wars too.

Neil

Remember Neil, Harry is young and very naive.

Sorry, but I don't have any problems with the special editions.

You shouldn't be apologizing to us. As long as you are happy with them.

Neil

Because of the scream I hate the SE Empire.

Because of the Hut I hate the SE SW.

But I like the new ending to ROTJ. It didn't hurt the film at all. But it wasn't a real necessary change.

The scream is nothing compared to how awful Vader's shuttle is. It totally messes up the pacing, suspence and score of the whole scene and just totally changes the scenes mood. I HATE IT.

The scream is bad, but not nearly that bad.

I just watched the Original Trilogy, and don't remember much of the "SE" of Star Wars, (the only "SE" I've seen).

So....I must find a copy and watch them all over again. (darn!) :roll:

Dan - looking forward to this

:) "The Face Of Pan" from Hook (Williams & BPO).....exceptional performance of an exceptional piece from an exceptional score to an exceptional film

Dan2 - awaiting Joe's Little Rockian Wrath :twisted:

The scream is nothing compared to how awful Vader's shuttle is. It totally messes up the pacing, suspence and score of the whole scene and just totally changes the scenes mood. I HATE IT.

You are correct.

Neil - who thinks the SE's are a cinematic nightmare

I don't remember Empire with OUT the scream in it.

Gee I guess that shows my age.... :oops:

Justin -Who hasn't watched the "Non Special edition" Star Wars movies in years.... 8O

It gets worse. Not only does the scream alter the mood, but it is the exact same scream as the Emperor's as he is cast into the reactor shaft in ROTJ. 8O

Marc -Who hasn't watched the "Non Special edition" Star Wars movies at all. :)

I envy you Indysolo 8O I have just a crappy version of the original recorded off tv, and the VHS tape is damaged as well, keeps flickering.

With Ep. II in theaters, Dutch network Yorin broadcasted all four predecessing movies. The OT was the SE version however, and the commercial breaks sucked. I tried to synch up the alternate version of Binary Sunset yesterday, but the commercials start at about 1:58 out of the full 2:18 the track takes. That's right after C-3PO says to Luke he totally agrees R2-D2 is getting them into trouble and just before the shot of Owen walking through the Homestead.

In TESB, they had the guts to place the commercials just after the beginning of The Asteroid Field, just after Luke's X-Wing leaves frame. 8O

Marc, who hates commercial breaks.

I watched a bit of ANH, but after seenf they were airing the SE's i turened it off, besides, they probably chopped of the End Credits.

Stefancos- who hates it that almost EVERY Dutch satation mutilates the end credits. of films. :o

In the special edition of TESB, Luke yells as he falls through that large chamber on Cloud City - just after Mr. Vader told him who his daddy was.

In the original version, Luke doesn't scream at all which makes much more sense to me since it was a choice to fall and he seems to have a calmed demeaner moments before his fall as if to say "I'd rather die than joining you, you evil man. I am good and you are bad. Good is good, bad is bad. Good Good, bad bad!"

Jake :(

It's true what they're saying here, though, Hector -- I think.

If there was a scream inserted, then it wouldn't do the scene justice. It's not like Luke was thrown over or anything.

(that we know of, at least)

Dan - who's beginning to think there was an evil Ewok's ghost that pushed Luke off the deep end

:music: "Love Pledge and The Arena" from Attack Of The Clones

I have both version but never noticed this difference.

There must be something wrong than, go see a doctor :)

(Vader's shuttle scene) totally messes up the pacing, suspence and score of the whole scene and just totally changes the scenes mood. I HATE IT.

The main problem for me in this scene is the music. Lucas should have had a more fast paced "Imperial March" motif there, and the scene should have been shorter, it almost makes you think the officer is going to say something and the editing there is a little uncomfortable.

Even then, you'd still have problems with the scene. It is much better without any Vader shuttle. All we need is some quick dialogue, like prepare my shuttle, to know enough about what is happening.

Even then, you'd still have problems with the scene. It is much better without any Vader shuttle. All we need is some quick dialogue, like prepare my shuttle, to know enough about what is happening.

Agreed. Interrupting the rebel's escape from Bespin was a big mistake.

Neil

Yeah, it wasn't a bad scene to have in there, but it did mess up the pacing. Me and my friend were so angry because we recognized it as just an alternate angle to the openning of ROTJ. You can see Moff Jerjerod talking to Vader! They should have just had the scene of the Shuttle flying towards the Executor. We would get the point just from that.

As for the scream, I didn't get all worked up about it. Luke made the conscious decision to kill himself, but that doesn't mean he has to be happy about it.

There ARE a few things I like in the special editions. The extended Mos Eisley buildup, The X-Wings dogfighting in the Battle of Yavin, and the celebration in ROTJ. There are a lot of little added SFX shots that help things to. The Greedo thing looks really stupid though (nobody can say that enough). Still wish Lucas would have let Williams write a non-woodsy more Wagner ending.

They should have just had the scene of the Shuttle flying towards the Executor. We would get the point just from that.

Well, it would take the focus of our heroe's. I think even that is a bad idea, it would probably damage the mood.

As for the scream, I didn't get all worked up about it. Luke made the conscious decision to kill himself, but that doesn't mean he has to be happy about it.

I agree.

There ARE a few things I like in the special editions. The extended Mos Eisley buildup, The X-Wings dogfighting in the Battle of Yavin, and the celebration in ROTJ. There are a lot of little added SFX shots that help things to. The Greedo thing looks really stupid though (nobody can say that enough).

I agree, except the celebration in ROTJ.... it simply leaves too many questions about what has happened to the Empire, where did their troops go? Why aren't they stopping the people celebrating? etc

(Vader's shuttle scene) totally messes up the pacing, suspence and score of the whole scene and just totally changes the scenes mood. I HATE IT.

The main problem for me in this scene is the music. Lucas should have had a more fast paced "Imperial March" motif there, and the scene should have been shorter, it almost makes you think the officer is going to say something and the editing there is a little uncomfortable.

Here we are again with Lucas's treatment with editing music. If he makes these ultimate SW editions, I hope he calls up Mr. Williams to completely re-record all the music for all the films, and fix all of Lucas's editing boo-boos.

~Harry, who still wants Spielberg to co-direct

Yeah, I'm with the majority of you folks, too. I don't care for the SE's that much, the LEAST of all Empire.

Why?

Because of the scream.

Luke didn't fall. He wasn't pushed. He let go. He did it by choice. It was his decision to let go. Why would someone scream from that? Do suicide jumpers scream? I don't know. But I'd think no.

Plus, to add insult to injury, it's THE EMPEROR'S SCREAM FROM ROTJ!!!!!! Has no one noticed this? It's the SAME EXACT SCREAM the Emperor lets out when Vader tosses him down the reactor core. That's just pathetic. They couldn't even create a new scream. They just copied and pasted. What's with Lucas and copying and pasting?

Then, to make things worse, the entire pacing of the end sequence is completely thrown to hell just for the three morons on the planet who didn't understand that Vader left Bespin to go back to his Star Destroyer. Of ALL the changes in the SE's, this one is the one with the least amount if logic behind it. There was absolutely NO reason for Lucas to do this. Just absolutely ridiculous. The music's screwed up, the line is just kinda clumsy...what the hell? Why? WHY?!?

And for the piece de resistance, Lucas considers the SE's to be the official versions. The originals will NEVER been seen again.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Dammit. Why couldn't he take a few notes from Spielberg? E.T.'s DVD will have both versions on it, the original and the special edition. Brilliant, if you ask me.

Oooh....piece de resistance....I like it.

Dan - more and more impressed by Kevin, the more he reads

:) "Look Beyond The Fingers" from Patch Adams (Shaiman)

Luke didn't fall. He wasn't pushed. He let go. He did it by choice. It was his decision to let go. Why would someone scream from that? Do suicide jumpers scream? I don't know. But I'd think no.

I don't know, but suicide jumps do try to cover their heads. Perhaps it would just be instinct to scream, especially considering that I'm sure Luke wouldn't want to die but felt it was the only way.