Happy Birthday Raiders of the Lost Ark!

Lurker

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you mean Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark? :twisted: :jump: :twisted: ROTFLMAO :twisted: :wave: :twisted: :) :twisted: :devil: :twisted: :devil: :twisted: :devil: :twisted: :devil: :twisted: :devil: :twisted: :devil: :twisted: :devil: :twisted: :devil:

Is it officially called Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark now? Like SW EpIV A New Hope?

Anyways, they arired it in TV last friday ROTFLMAO. And SW 1,4,5,6 the previous weeks. And Willow last saturday, and Temple of doom, this friday, and Crusade next one... ONly left Howard the Duck and Ewoks!

And Birthday??? i bought it last week and it has already a 21 anniversary?? :jump:

NO, Luke, it is not.

It is and always shall be: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

NO' date=' Luke, it is not.

It is and always shall be: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK

OK! BUT IN FACT IT FITS BETTER THAN RAIDERS...

Mmmm, is just the contrary in SW. Officially:A NEw Hope, people->STAR WARS Raiders:officially: raiders, people->indiana and...

Anyways, as lond as the title remains as the expanded score, i'm happy

Indysolo, are you using the Ark against me? :cry:

(anyways, after seeing the movie, well I WOULDN't use it, just in case

The theory behind that bastardized "Indiana Jones and the Raiders..." title has to do with keeping the films together on the shelf of a video store. I'm sorry, if people aren't smart enough to realize that Raiders starts with an "R" then they have serious problems.

RAIDERSREPR.JPG

Neil

That poster is so great. What a work of ark, I mean art. :jump: It is one of my favorite of all time.

Joe.

And who can forget the re-release poster. And please, note the lack of "Indiana Jones and the....." nonsense.

003_raidersrrp.jpg

What the hell. Here's the British poster as well.

raidersnew.jpg

Neil - going a little crazy :jump:

The only Raiders poster done by Drew was this one.

gm000725222528132.jpg

Richard Amsel did the 2 US posters. I don't know who painted the British version.

Neil

Neil, you f***ing rule! I remember that night, twenty-one years ago, quite well, going to see "Raiders" for the first time in my grandfather's fedora (never worn, and fresh out of a box in the attic). I still have that hat, made by Adams Hats in N.Y.C. I'm certain the company no longer exists. This was the genuine article, no "Indiana Jones" knockoff from Stetson. I also had my bullwhip (of course).

After the movie, my friends and I went across the street to McDonald's and threw a picnic table into the river. We were huge proponents of blowing up mailboxes. This was back in the day when people still shook their heads and muttered "Damn kids," well before it was considered domestic terrorism to do so. It was a quiet town in a rural county, and when we weren't busy writing, acting, hiking, building forts, rafting or making movies, we were all out trying to stir up trouble (which we equated with adventure). We were shot at more than once, and picked up by the police a couple of times, but nobody got hurt, and all in all it was just good, clean fun. I shudder to think of the consequences if we tried to pull some of those same stunts today.

I was in 9th grade when "Raiders" opened. I remember gazing at a publicity photo of an angry-looking Harrison Ford, who was glaring at something off-camera in a marketplace somewhere in the Middle East. Movie stills and poster art had an almost totemic influence over me at that stage of my life. This was well before the internet, remember, and people knew very little about "Raiders" before it opened, other than what could be gleaned from Starlog and other fanzines (articles I tried to avoid until after I saw the picture). In fact, I had assumed, before reading the back of the novelization, that the Ark would have something to do with Noah, and that Indy would be racing the Nazis up the side of a mountain somewhere seeking out its remains. I bought the book, but didn't read it until later (deranged spoiler-phobe that I am), and I remember taking it to school and showing it to my best friend, who couldn't figure out who the actor was on the cover. (Ford was shown in profile, backlit, with heavy whiskers, face-to-face with Karen Allen.) He couldn't believe it was Harrison Ford.

Ford's most famous role up to that point had been Han Solo. None of us could fathom his part in "Heroes" (with Henry Winkler, who was a bigger star at the time!), and I doubt anyone caught "Hanover Street" until it was shown on cable. There was "Force 10 from Navarone," which turned up once a season on ABC, back when movies were a bigger draw than sitcoms, and a tepid Gene Wilder fish-out-of-water comedy called "The Frisco Kid," in which Ford played a cowboy and Wilder a rabbi. (I'm not making this up.) None of these films were huge hits. To see Ford was going to star in a Spielberg opus, hot on the heels of "Jaws," "CE3K" -- and, oh yeah, "1941" -- was big news. What the devil could this film be about? To read that Tom Selleck had originally been considered to play the lead only added to the intrigue. Those of you who have grown up in the age of the computer have no idea what those days were like. There was no minute scene by scene analysis, no pirated scripts published online, no notice of when the soundtrack album (vinyl) would hit the stores.

I remember looking at myself in the bathroom mirror about a week before the film opened. I had allowed my adolescent peach fuzz to grow in for what must have been a very long time. Still, it could scarcely be confused for anything resembling a whisker. I commented to my mother, who happened to be wandering by, that if I let it grow for another week, perhaps I could raise a five o'clock shadow. She only laughed.

Figo, whose intense longing for "Raiders" was assuaged (if only temporarily) by "Clash of the Titans," which opened the week before, and by a movie he saw on television (the title of which eludes him), about Hercules fighting a bunch of vampires.

Here's my Raiders story. I don't remember the exact date I saw the film, but it was during the initial run in 1981, and probably not that long after opening. I was 4 years old at the time, and my dad took me to the theater to see it. I remember it being very crowded and I distinctly remember the audience shrieking during the climax, particularly when Toht's face melts. During that part, this little 4 year old leaned over to his dad and asked them, "How'd they do that?". I have not been the same since. :)

Raiders is the movie that made me fall in love with film. Maybe that biases me when I say its the greatest film ever made, but to me, nothing can top it.

Neil

Figo, whose intense longing for "Raiders" was assuaged ... by a movie he saw on television (the title of which eludes him), about Hercules fighting a bunch of vampires.

That would be Hercules vs. The Vampires. :)

"Beware! It's Hercules! He'll kill us all!"

Christopher Lee co-stars as -- guess what? -- a vampire.

I remember having the big movie programs which you purchased in the foyer. The Temple of doom program is in my mind even more clearly. It unfolded into a huge poster of the movie poster, and the back of it had lots of info about the movie. I remember thinking that he looked so cool with that designer stubble. But i was several years away from being able to grow that. I think i went to a school fancy dress party as Indiana Jones that year. Military camoe paint created the desinger stubble look, and i borrowed a similar hat from someone.

I wonder how much those programs would be worth nowadays if i'd kept them? :oops:

P.S : Figo, i would'nt be seen dead going to see a movie dressed up as Indiana Jones..hehehe

This is so cool! Well, the first time I saw Indy was when my dad tape it back in 89 from ABC... it had the snowy picture and it started when Indy arrives at the Indian village... that was my first movie... then in 90, I think, in New Years, I saw The Last Crusade... and it was so much fun... in late 1991, McDonald's had this thing where if you buy some burger, they'd give you any Indy movie for 4.99 (or 5.99, can't recall), so that's when I got Raiders, and saw it the next day in the morning in my parents' bedroom, and I must say that I didn't like it. I though that perhaps they tricked me into giving me some made-for-TV Indy adventure (after all, at the time 4.99 was very cheap for a movie specially these huge blockbusters)... but it grew on me, and now it's my favorite Indy movie... I like the others too, but this one is pretty special.. and every year at New Year's Eve, this is the last movie I see in the year... it's become a sort of tradition for me that no one knows about, hehehe :)

Happy B Day Indy!!!! :angry:

"Raiders" is certainly the best-made of the three. Funny, about your "tradition" -- for years, the last/first thing I would listen to on New Years or whenever I happened to change apartments was "Star Wars."

Figo, who hasn't kept up the tradition for well over a decade.

"Raiders" is certainly the best-made of the three.

Definately, but it's also the least fun of the 3 :tongue2:

Not even at 14 years old?  

I guess that's just because you're one of those repressed Brits.   LOL

Shows how much you know about Britain mate.

Have the Stereotype image of Hugh Grant in mind do you? LOL