Original SW Trilogy DVD release Date?

stewdog1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From AICN:

The marketing timeline for Star Wars is as follows - This week, The Clone Wars, then the original Star Wars trilogy is being released September 2004, then Episode 3 teaser advertising begins in January of 2005, Episode 3 May 2005, Episode 3 DVD/VHS November 2005. One little fun fact - seems that they have TWO Star Wars television ideas floating around the ranch...one would be animation and the other - LIVE ACTION. These television projects would be in 2006. Let's hope they're better than the Star Wars Christmas Special, or those Ewok films.

So it looks like September 2004. Pretty sweet. Now if only we'd get the original films, but... sigh.

- Marc, who'll enjoy watching the films on DVD all the same (widescreen! finally!).

I've been enjoying my VHS widescreens of the trilogy (and, to a lesser degree, the prequels). I'm anticipating the bonus features, which I hope includes footage from music recording sessions and in-depth features on music.

Jeff -- who hopes they give us the unbutchered "Empire Strikes Back," especially the original moments with Vader on Cloud City.

Even if it is happening, the film many of us know and love as Star Wars still will probably not be released.

Neil

That is what I am afraid of!!! :music:

Couldn't Lucas give us the option of watching the ORIGINAL VERSION!?!?!?

FOR GODS SAKE MAN AT LEAST TAKE OUT THE GREEDO SHOOTING FIRST BIT! :cry:

Be patient, he will. But first he wants to make money with the crappy versions. Then, when the money stops pouring in, it's time for the Super Duper Box! 10 DVDs with crappy versions and finally, the original versions, and another big load of extra things. Then, again, a fews years later, we might be able to buy the original versions on a seperate release. Perhaps with its 50th anniversary or something like that. Just be patient, Rogue. It will happen.

And if it doesn't happen, well, there's always another...way... :roll:

----------------

Alex Cremers

Latest rumblings are that Lucas has again updated ANH. The lightsabers in the Ben/Darth duel have been cleaned up (something the shouldhave done 6 years ago, IMO). And there supposedly are now clouds in the Binary Sunset scene (this would suck, again, IMO).

- Marc, ;)

Latest rumblings are that Lucas has again updated ANH. The lightsabers in the Ben/Darth duel have been cleaned up (something the shouldhave done 6 years ago, IMO). And there supposedly are now clouds in the Binary Sunset scene (this would suck, again, IMO).

- Marc, ;)

I just checked my original widescreen collectors edition of the original trilogy. There are already clouds going across the face of the lower sun in the closeup, so have no fear lucas has not changed that. As to the sabers being cleaned up and made right, I just have to say its about time. this should have been done for the special editions. drop greedo shooting forst and fix the sabres. dagnabit!!!!

Craig

Whoo. Thanks for clearing that up. And yes, like I said, the sabers should have been cleaned up before. What's the point of doing a restoration if your lightsabers still look like sticks? ;)

- Marc, who seems to be using this smilie a lot lately. ;)

Be patient, he will. But first he wants to make money with the crappy versions. Then, when the money stops pouring in, it's time for the Super Duper Box! 10 DVDs with crappy versions and finally, the original versions, and another big load of extra things. Then, again, a fews years later, we might be able to buy the original versions on a seperate release. Perhaps with its 50th anniversary or something like that. Just be patient, Rogue. It will happen.

And if it doesn't happen, well, there's always another...way... :roll:

----------------

Alex Cremers

Ahhh yes! The greed of Lucas! Once again your wisdom knows no bounds Alex! :)

You are right sir! :eek:

Well,those LotR movies already come in a lot of different editions in a short period of time,making you wast money on a regular DVD set and releasing an extended set with different extras a few month later,and I dont see anyone complaining.

K.M.

Do not whine about it more then... :music:

OK I will return to my usual line of "The prequels suck" whining then! ;):P:)

-Rogue Leader who is sorry he must embrace the dark side when Master Skywalker is around. :)

Well,those LotR movies already come in a lot of different editions in a short period of time,making you wast money on a regular DVD set and releasing an extended set with different extras a few month later,and I dont see anyone complaining.

That's because you know the release date for the expanded LOTR is only a few months away. Most people I know didn't get the 2 disc set. With Star Wars you never know when they are going to get released.

Justin - :)

That's because you know the release date for the expanded LOTR is only a few months away. Most people I know didn't get the 2 disc set. With Star Wars you never know when they are going to get released.

Justin - ;)

That is a lame attempt at self-justification :wave:

K.M.

Okay, people complain about the LotR double releases, and that bugs me. Here are the options for the studios:

1. Release just the expanded version

2. Release just the original version

3. Release the original version then the expanded version

4. Release both at the same time

1 and 2 are out from the start, especially 2. Despite what some people seem to think, 4 would almost certainly require deliberately holding back the release of the original version so they can complete the expanded release. Why do this? To appease people who complain about the multiple releases? 3 is the only reasonable option. You release the original version earlier so people can get it sooner, then you release the expanded version for the big fans.

I would also argue that there are few people who buy both as it is that wouldn't buy both if the studio chose to go with option 4. Even big fans I doubt would be impatient enough to go out and spend $15 or whatever to get the movie a couple months earlier than they otherwise could. You could always rent it or borrow it from a friend or, heaven forbit, be patient. I would wager most people getting both as it is now are getting both because they want both versions, though I have no evidence to back this up.

Me? I'm waiting for the super-ultimate 12 or whatever disc collection they will probably release after RotK. (That would be decidedly more Star Warsish)

Release ONE DVD set with the option to view the the theatrical cut or with the extended scenes added(just like you can flip on director's commentaries and so forth,and not seperated on the bonus feature disk)

If it was up to me,on all DVD's you'd have the option of placing the deleted and extra scenes of your choice into the movie instead of playing them apart,so you can view your own prefered cut of the movie.

K.M.

That would have to be a 5 DVD set. Seamless branching won't work here, too many changes in scene transitions etc. 5 discs probably means more expensive than 4 discs. So for that, we'd have to a) wait longer for the theatrical cut, and those only interested in one version of the movie would have to pay a lot more.

Marian - who's only unhappy about the fact that DV-Depot doesn't have his TTT:EE in stock yet.

Me? I'm waiting for the super-ultimate 12 or whatever disc collection they will probably release after RotK. (That would be decidedly more Star Warsish)

yes,don't worry,they'll make sure some scenes or features are only found in one or the other of the previous editions :wave:

K.M.

And there supposedly are now clouds in the Binary Sunset scene (this would suck, again, IMO).

- Marc, :wave:

One question after Saabster cleared it out. Does that scene suck in the Original movie them? It has the clouds...

OK I will return to my usual line of "The prequels suck" whining then!  ;)  ;)  :P  

You sound like you stopped doing that which are 'lies, deceit' those are of the dark side...

Ahhh you are wise indeed Master Skywalker! :wave:

Luke if you are going to try and defend Star Wars from every negative thing people say, you will die young from stress. :wave:

Justin

Dammit Master Luke has blown up death stars single handed, killed Rancors, and best Dartb Vader in single combat.

Dealing with the JW crowd on this forum he should be able to do in his sleep! :P

What should be done would lead me to the Darkside though.... :devil:

I can feel your anger!!!!!!!

NOW TAKE YOUR JEDI WEAPON!!!!

STRIKE ME DOWN WITH ALL OF YOUR HATRED AND YOUR JOURNEY TO THE DARK SIDE WILL BE COMPLETE!!!! :devil::)

Dammit Master Luke has blown up death stars single handed, killed Rancors, and best Dartb Vader in single combat.  

Dealing with the JW crowd on this forum he should be able to do in his sleep!  

maybe, but that would be the pre 1984 Luke, not the post 97 Luke who screamed like a little girl when he jumped.

maybe, but that would be the pre 1984 Luke, not the post 97 Luke who screamed like a little girl when he jumped.

Wait!

Did he really not scream in the original version??

I believe I recall you are correct. Luke originally just sort of gave a sadistic smile and just allowed himself to fall off.

He didn't screm. I dont see why the hell they made him screm anyway.

WHY THE FRIGGIN HELL WOULD HE SCREAM??

I mean its not like he fell by accident. He intentionally dove off.

That whole Luke screaming business. This must be a joke, right? First Greedo shooting Han first, and now Luke screaming when falling. I can't stand that Lucas guy anymore. Everything he touches turns into horse manure. I feel sorry for all those who are waiting for Indy 4 with eager anticipation.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Not only Spielberg can 'control' Lucas, but there's Ford as well. Lately the quality of the movies in which he plays has decreased, but I don't think that's due to his acting. He will have his sayings in the script and actors too. And I guess that isn't a bad thing.

When I saw the SE Solo-Greedo scene in the theatres, I didn't know what happened (so to speak): I thought the projector was stuck or something for a split second. That shot is comparable to some special effect in the worst low-budget sci-fi movie you can imagine. Owkay, that's a bit exaggerated, but you get the point :).

And someone, tell Luke to control his fear when he falls again.

Rumor has it Lucas has restored Han shooting first in the Special Special Edition that'll be releas on DVD fall 2004.

- Marc, hoping he loses every other S.E. addition while he's at it too. :roll:

Rumor has it Lucas has restored Han shooting first in the Special Special Edition that'll be releas on DVD fall 2004.

Oh George, just make up your damn mind.

Stefancos- :)

idd

Oh George, just make up your damn mind.

Stefancos-  :)

He did....in 1977. Ever since then, he's been second guessing those decisions, usually with disasterous results.

Neil

Luke, hmmm, at that time he wasn't looking Vader in the eye. He purposely did not scream when Darth Vader was with him. Afterwards when he was hanging in the antennas there was no need to keep cool anymore. I hate it how in the prequels all the Jedi persistently are playing cool in every situation. Whether or not that comes with being a fully trained Jedi, I don't care. It takes away the ability for the audience to participate in the character's emotional condition. The first two Star Warses are so good and liked by public and critics because we care. Luke kept his cool but it took him a lot of effort. The audience felt with him. It worked. It made sense. It was a great scene.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Luke, hmmm, at that time he wasn't looking Vader in the eye. He purposely did not scream when Darth Vader was with him. Afterwards when he was hanging in the antennas there was no need to keep cool anymore. I hate it how in the prequels all the Jedi persistently are playing cool in every situation. Whether or not that comes with being a fully trained Jedi, I don't care. It takes away the ability for the audience to participate in the character's emotional condition. The first two Star Warses are so good and liked by public and critics because we care. Luke kept his cool but it took him a lot of effort. The audience felt with him. It worked. It made sense. It was a great scene.

You are absolutely right. This is human approach and is always works and better then any Digital wonders.

Oh-Oh GWL ... where is your mind?

JANE

What a lame-o. Somebody really should put him out of his misery.

RICKY

Want me to kill him for you?

JANE

Yeah, would you?

... American Beauty :P

That whole Luke screaming business. This must be a joke, right? First Greedo shooting Han first, and now Luke screaming when falling. I can't stand that Lucas guy anymore. Everything he touches turns into horse manure. I feel sorry for all those who are waiting for Indy 4 with eager anticipation.  

----------------

Alex Cremers

Thats right! Lucas is now like a reverse King Midas. Everything he touches turns to crap! ;)

If Lucas was directing Indy IV I would lose hope.  

But he's not.

EXACTLY! Thank God for that! bowdown

Yeah, but what if it's Lucas' story? And we all know he's the producer so...RUN FOR COVER!!!

The basic storyline will just determine what Indy will be going in search of. Lucas isn't writing the script as far5 as we know so that is no big deal. :P

He did....in 1977. Ever since then, he's been second guessing those decisions, usually with disasterous results.  

Well he has apparently CLEARLY made up his mind about how he feels about his fans. He hates their guts! Of course the feelinfg is more than mutual! :P

@Rogue: I'll pass your offer.............by now

It is pointless to resist ......... :P;);)

- Marc, hoping he loses every other S.E. addition while he's at it too. :roll:

PLEASE GOD LET THIS BE TRUE!!!!

Lucas definately needs to get rid of:

1) The dumb Greedo shooting first BS!

2) THe poorly done CGI Jabba in ANH.

3) The "Jedi Rocks" crap in ROTJ!

Those three must go. They could re-do the Jabba scene with much better CGI now anyway.

Well The emperor also cries like a little girl (since you say Luke does and it is the same sceam), and definately the emperor is more unlike to a little girl than luke. But nobody argues about his scream. ( ithink it it fine in the movie, dont get me wrong)

@Rogue: Just shut up grumpy old man!* :P

*refering to Palpatine,ok? no offenese...