Something Wicked this way comes!

benefactor

Hi!

This is just what I saw at imdb.com. Don't know about how true it is.

What do you think?

Directly from the rumor mill Ain't it cool news (http://www.aintitcoolnews.com), here are changes that lucas intend to make to the DVD versions coming in sept. 2004  

Episode IV: A New Hope  

01. The Imperial March has been added to Darth Vader's first appearance on Princess Leia's ship.  

02. When Obi-Wan is talking to Luke about his father Anakin's Theme plays in the background and then it turns into the Imperial March as he talks about Vader.  

03. The lightsaber effects have been redone and the frame jumps of lightsabers being turned on has been removed.  

04. There's a new scene which has been shot during the filming of Episode III in which the Emperor dissolves the Senate.  

05. In the Cantina, the Duros(green aliens guys) have been replaced with Neimoidians and some aliens from the prequels have been added.  

06. The bleeding arm on the floor in the Cantina has been replaced with a non-bleeding arm because it's now canon that lightsabers cauterize wounds.  

07. The original shooting scene between Han and Greedo has been restored.  

08. Jabba the Hutt has been given a makeover and Han no longer steps on his tale.  

09. In place of R2 wobbling down the stairs to the Falcon's hangar, a CG R2 navigating the stairs like he does in Attack of the Clones was added.  

10. The white boxes around space ships have been removed and new CG shots have been added.  

11. The scene of the Falcon being chased by the two Star Destroyers was modified. The Falcon now does spinning moves, avoiding the Star Destroyers' fire.  

12. When the Death Star destroys Alderaan there's a new scene of Yoda's reaction to the disturbance in the Force that is created by all those deaths and then it cuts to Obi-Wan reacting to it as well.  

13. The Dianoga has gotten a CG makeover and were are now able to see more of the creature.  

14. The Death Star's paneling and computers have been slightly altered to show similar displays to those in the prequels.  

15. The words "Tractor Beam" with Aurebesh lettering.  

16. More stormtroopers have been added to the Death Star.  

17. Temuera Morrison's voice is being recorded for use with all the stormtroopers.  

18. The Obi-Wan/Vader duel has been spruced up. It is much more epic and there is much more movement. A modified version of Duel of the Fates is being considered for the scene.  

19. The Death Star plans that are taken from R2 have been updated. When the Rebels are reviewing the Death Star plans they look similar to the plans we see in Attack of the Clones.  

20. The Death Star battle is much more epic with more Tie Fighters and more Rebels being blown to bits. We get to see old Naboo starfighters being used by the Rebels.  

21. There's a new scene(shot during Episode III) where Darth Vader goes to Coruscant and lands his ship in the same building Count Dooku does at the end of Attack of the Clones. Except now the building is all fixed up and it is now Palpatine's palace. He meets with Palpatine to ask for forgiveness for his failure and inform him of a new potential who is strong in the Force.  

22. Chewbacca now gets a medal.  

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back  

01. The taun-tauns are now CG.  

02. The battle of Hoth is much more epic. We see the Imperial ships land on Hoth and release AT-ATs. The AT-ATs have been sped up a bit. There's a ground battle between the Rebel soldiers and stormtroopers featuring new ships and vehicles.  

03. Temuera Morrison's voice is being recorded for the older Boba Fett and all the stormtroopers.  

04. The white boxes around space ships have been removed.  

05. The slug monster is CG.  

06. Ian McDiarmid has refilmed scenes as the Emperor. The conversations between Vader and Palpatine is now longer and features a few connections to the prequels.  

07. Yoda's face is now animated in CG allowing more _expression of emotions yet his movements remain the same. Also two deleted scenes featuring Yoda instructing Luke have been restored.  

08. A new scene was shot in which the stormtroopers, after they capture Han, Leia and Chewie, bring Vader the box containing C-3PO in pieces. Vader orders the stormtroopers to bring the broken droid to Chewbacca's cell so that he can fix him.  

09. The lightsaber effects have been redone in certain parts.  

10. Luke's fall from Cloud City has been reshot against bluescreen using a stuntman.  

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi  

01. Jabba the Hutt is now a combination of the puppet and CG.  

02. The Rancor is CG and looks disgusting as ever.  

03. Yoda is CG. Yoda disappears leaving his clothes behind like Obi-Wan now.  

04. The ewoks are now mostly CG and there are a lot more of them.  

05. The plan is to insert the love theme Across the Stars when Luke is talking with Leia about their mother.  

06. Temuera Morrison's like before is now the voice for Boba Fett and all the stormtroopers.  

07. In the battle of Endor there are thousands of Ewoks and they are more vicious than there midgets-in-suits counterparts. More bite the dust now.  

08. White boxes around ships removed.  

09. The black blotches around Palpatine's face are gone.  

10. Some of the lightsaber effects have been redone. The shadows that the lightsabers made on the floor are gone.  

11. During Anakin's death scene it starts with a sad rendition of the Imperial March and slowly evolves into Anakin's Theme.  

12. Sebastion Shaw who played Anakin when he was unmasked has been replaced with Hayden Christenson in make-up to make him look older. Anakin has much more dialogue. He apologizes for the destruction he caused, he thanks his son for turning him back to the light, he tells his son to rebuild the Jedi and he says he loves him and his sister. Just before he dies he says, "It is finished...".  

13. We see more planets celebrating at the end of the movie. We see an aged Jar Jar, who is now the leader of the Gungans, on Naboo celebrating with the people of Naboo and the Gungans. We see an old Watto, who is now unable to fly, sitting in a hover chair cheering on Tatooine. During these scenes Across the Stars plays transitioning to the victory celebration music at the Ewok tree village.  

14. Anakin's spirit is now played by Hayden Christenson with make-up to make him look his age. He looks on proudly at his son Luke with the spirit of Padme by his side

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

01. The Imperial March has been added to Darth Vader's first appearance on Princess Leia's ship.  

02. When Obi-Wan is talking to Luke about his father Anakin's Theme plays in the background and then it turns into the Imperial March as he talks about Vader.

Stefancos- :D (If it's true, that is)

LOL

Justin LOL

Agreed. This is some demented fan boys wish list. It has to be. Lucas really wants more Ewoks? And by showing an older Jar Jar at the end of Jedi means we won't get to see an agonizingly long drawn out death scene for him in "Episode III".

The music edits wouldn't surprise me. Lucas has shown a total disregard to Williams' contributions with the last 2 films (arguably last 4 films).

As I've said, the film we all know and love as Star Wars will be gone forever.

I wonder how "Luke Skywalker" feels about this list.

Neil

Agreed.  This is some demented fan boys wish list.  

Also agreed. But who knows... :D

I remember there were some rumors about re-scoring parts of ANH...

Or even John Williams suggest it... I'm not sure.

As for Jar Jar - we won't get a chance to see an agonizingly long drawn out death scene for him in Episode III, it is confirmed by Rick McCallum a month ago, I believe. ... Very Sad News.

Personally, I think Lucas should re-shoot episodes 4-6 as remakes just for himself, and leave Original Trilogy alone for the rest of fans.

My bro thinks that we should wait until this is Confirmed until we make our decisions

Thinks the Obi Wan-Darth Vader duel will be cool

I wouldn't be surprised.I'll be the one saying this is most definately possible,at least some parts of it.Some of this I agree and some I don't.Overall,i'd prefer these new versions over the 1997 special editions as they are now.If they are changing the original movies,they may as well go all out because it no longer matters much.

I predict in the end all that's going to be left of the original movies are the the actors performances cut out to be placed in completely CGI backgrounds,in every scenes.Like the Loony Tunes movie in reverse.

K.M.

07. In the battle of Endor there are thousands of Ewoks and they are more vicious than there midgets-in-suits counterparts. More bite the dust now.

That is the one unarguably good bit about those changes :D

the main thing that should be done if the films are altered

(and they will)is that Willliams does himself the score adjustments instead of looping and editing the existing music.If they re-record all the music that would be pretty cool.

K.M.

The plan is to insert the love theme Across the Stars when Luke is talking with Leia about their mother.

NO censored ING WAY!!! The original music here is too gorgeous to be tampered with!

Anyway this is ridiculous and most likely false. They can't even spell 'Hayden Christensen' correctly.

CYPHER

I tought this thread was about the new Harry Potter music,but it turned out to be yet another Lucas bashing topic..who many of these do we have going right now?. :roll:

K.M.

LOL

Justin LOL

Agreed. This is some demented fan boys wish list. It has to be. Lucas really wants more Ewoks? And by showing an older Jar Jar at the end of Jedi means we won't get to see an agonizingly long drawn out death scene for him in "Episode III".

The music edits wouldn't surprise me. Lucas has shown a total disregard to Williams' contributions with the last 2 films (arguably last 4 films).

As I've said, the film we all know and love as Star Wars will be gone forever.

I wonder how "Luke Skywalker" feels about this list.

Neil

Dude dont be so sure about this! This is Lucas we are talking about remember. THE MAN IS FRIGGIN DAMN NEAR SENILE AT THIS POINT! The last two SW films are proof of this! Dont rule anything out completely.

The original music here is too gorgeous to be tampered with!

That is indeed true, I am in favour of doing some edits for the slightly weaker moments of the scores though, like Emporer theme when Vader and the Emporer are talking in TESB (which is actually a very good cue, but not masterful.) for the purpose of consistacy, and only if Williams gets to rescore it. But leave things like the emporer's death and Luke with Leia alone!

If they re-record all the music that would be pretty cool.

The complete re-recordings are bound to happen, it is only a matter of time. But I really hope it will happen before John lies down his baton forever. I want him mentioned as the conductor on the CD covers.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Just release the original (ORIGINAL) Trilogy and then Lucas can do what he wants with the movies.

Justin -Just about done with 'all things Lucas.'

I don't get Lucas. He's very obsessed with salvaging and keeping things from the past. Heck, Lucasfilm has a huge archive where tons of props from their films are stored, just for the sake of historic reference. Then WHY IN THE NAME OF ALL THINGS SACRED does Lucas refuse to release the original versions of the Star Wars trilogy?! And not just for home entertainment. Even film festivals, celebrating the history of motion pictures, are REFUSED a print of the original 1977 version (or the 1981 version with the subtitle Episode IV - A New Hope added). What does it take to get Lucas to pull his head out of his ass and start using his goddamn brain!

- Marc, thinks Lucas already lost it after Raiders of the Lost Ark. :P

WHY IN THE NAME OF ALL THINGS SACRED does Lucas refuse to release the original versions of the Star Wars trilogy?!  (...) What does it take to get Lucas to pull his head out of his ass and start using his goddamn brain!

- Marc, thinks Lucas already lost it after Raiders of the Lost Ark. :P

Oh, he's thinking with his head, alright. It's just that he's being a clever business man, whether we like it or not.

By just releasing the SE trilogy next year, he insures that we'll all pick up the set immediately.

Then, in 2006 or so, he'll probably release an Ultimate Saga set with all six films and some new extras. The original SW may or may no be a part of that set.

My guess? An archival edition of SW with both versions could become a reality for the 40th anniversary in 2007.

Here's to us being patient--yet again!

Alejandro

Marc, thinks Lucas already lost it after Raiders of the Lost Ark. :P

What about The Star Wars Holiday Special from 1978?

Neil

You mean that Chewbacca home video thing? I can't decribe how shocked I was. Someone had to slap me in the face to see I wasn't dreaming. That proofs George can go pretty low. Scary.

----------------

Alex Cremers

What about The Star Wars Holiday Special from 1978?  

Ahhh yes! Nothing better than watching Leia on a cocaine binge sing the SW theme to the worst lyrics in human history. 8O

Hey Diego, you changed your avatar pic! It looks good (and it's much less confusing too):P.

I tought this thread was about the new Harry Potter music, but it turned out to be yet another Lucas bashing topic...

That was the logical conclusion to draw, my friend. I was also briefly excited by the (admittedly highly-unlikely) prospect that this thread could have been entirely devoted to that excellent book of the same name by Ray Bradbury 8O. Nevermind, it's proven quite sacrilegious and amusing anyway :P .

CYPHER

OK, while I can believe a few of these changes, there are just too many that I don't believe:

ANH

4)

11) Too much of a ripoff of Empire Strikes Back chase

12) Pointless, Corny, and ruins the introduction of Yoda in TESB

14) Supposedly, all the archaic, less-CG equipment in the original trilogies is supposed to be explained by catastrophic events in Episode III......thus, no reason to update older-looking technology in Episodes IV-VI

17) Pointless

18) Does he just mean music? That's BS......no way this'll happen, fanboy's (disgrace to star wars fan's) dream

19) Doubtful, see 14)

21) Ludicrous and completely breaks the flow of the movie.....however, there was that stinking scene Lucas added to TESB Special Edition with Vader going back to the Star Destroyer, which completely crapped on Williams' score for the 15-20 minutes of the movie climax, which was absolutely perfect in its original form.......so while ludicrous, this wouldn't surprise me....

TESB

These are the most believable, but I still can't believe:

8) Pointless, waste of time

ROTJ

2) How will they use Mark Hamill and edit out the original Rancor? Pointless, since the scene is fine as it is

3) Pointless, this is just some young fanboy used to CG and disappointed with the [brilliant] disappearing effect used in the early 80's which perfectly shows Yoda's death. There's no point in changing this scene. Waste of time.

4) Highly doubtful

5) Doubtful, and this raises my fanboy suspicion because of its links to crap-tacular Episode II

12) No way..........do they even have the right to subtract an actor from the film? That would be completely disrespectful to Sebastion Shaw. Utterly disgraceful and unforgivable. Ridiculous and drastic change as well.

13) After the Special Edition, this is possible.....however, still ridiculous

14) Unecessary and unforgivable, see 12)

So if these things are true, Lucas will have progressed in this fashion:

ANH 1977 A+

TESB 1980 A+

ROTJ 1983 A - A+

ANH 1997 A- to A (pacing a little off due to additions)

TESB 1997 A to A+ (a little off due to tampering with Irving Kershner's work)

ROTJ B+ to A- (ridiculous CG dance sequence and poorly-paced ending)

ANH 2004 B- to B pacing ridiculous

TESB 2004 B+ to A- Irving Kershner's work botched up even more

ROTJ 2004 B to B+ More ridiculous changes

George Lucas had a success. He had fame and respect. Now he is losing the respect with all these pointless reworks and updates. Ugh!

what a cheap way to get someone to look at this thread thinking it's about HP.  LOL

Actually, I thought this was a thread about an old live-action movie (by Disney, I think) entitled "Something Wicked This Way Comes." Very good flick.

8O

Thanks for the entertainment benefactor, that was a good read! Absolut crap, but nonetheless a good read.

Let's pick out some of the more "believeable" parts shall we?

Episode IV: A New Hope

07. The original shooting scene between Han and Greedo has been restored.  

12. When the Death Star destroys Alderaan there's a new scene of Yoda's reaction to the disturbance in the Force that is created by all those deaths and then it cuts to Obi-Wan reacting to it as well.  

18. The Obi-Wan/Vader duel has been spruced up. It is much more epic and there is much more movement. A modified version of Duel of the Fates is being considered for the scene.  

22. Chewbacca now gets a medal.  

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back  

02. The battle of Hoth is much more epic. We see the Imperial ships land on Hoth and release AT-ATs. The AT-ATs have been sped up a bit. There's a ground battle between the Rebel soldiers and stormtroopers featuring  

08. A new scene was shot in which the stormtroopers, after they capture Han, Leia and Chewie, bring Vader the box containing C-3PO in pieces. Vader orders the stormtroopers to bring the broken droid to Chewbacca's cell so that he can fix him.  

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi  

04. The ewoks are now mostly CG and there are a lot more of them.  

11. During Anakin's death scene it starts with a sad rendition of the Imperial March and slowly evolves into Anakin's Theme.

12. Sebastion Shaw who played Anakin when he was unmasked has been replaced with Hayden Christenson in make-up to make him look older. Anakin has much more dialogue. He apologizes for the destruction he caused, he thanks his son for turning him back to the light, he tells his son to rebuild the Jedi and he says he loves him and his sister. Just before he dies he says, "It is finished...".  

13. We see more planets celebrating at the end of the movie. We see an aged Jar Jar, who is now the leader of the Gungans, on Naboo celebrating with the people of Naboo and the Gungans. We see an old Watto, who is now unable to fly, sitting in a hover chair cheering on Tatooine. During these scenes Across the Stars plays transitioning to the victory celebration music at the Ewok tree village.  

14. Anakin's spirit is now played by Hayden Christenson with make-up to make him look his age. He looks on proudly at his son Luke with the spirit of Padme by his side

I'm shocked that the scene where Luke and Han steal the Stormtrooper outfits hasn't been revised so that they take the helmets off and realize that the troopers are identical twins.

Neil

Odd, Lucas has the urge to update again and again his big successes to the point of obscurity and yet he doesn't update his failures...I'm talking about you Howard the Duck

Actually, I thought this was a thread about an old live-action movie (by Disney, I think) entitled "Something Wicked This Way Comes." Very good flick.

Yeah - it was based on the novel of the same name by Ray Bradbury! In fact he wrote the screenplay too, though from what I can recall of the film, a lot of it is different fro the original text. Go read the book mate - it's fantastic! :)

Hey Beowulf - where've you been? Is it just me or have you not been around much (read: at all) lately?

CYPHER

Hey Beowulf - where've you been? Is it just me or have you not been around much (read: at all) lately?

You are correct sir!

I moved to Scotland. I started a degree in Artificial Intelligence. Bought a kilt. There you have it!

I'll probably start posting more though, since i'm somewhat settled down now.

:)

Beowulf - giving a shoutout to all my jwfan peeps.

what a cheap way to get someone to look at this thread thinking it's about HP.  LOL

Oh, I?m sorry for misleading topic title, but it is just for fun.

I mean Something Wicked Comes from Lucas? you know. :)

I would be more careful with titles in future. I promise. :)

BTW I also confused with song title (and tagline) from recent Potter?s trailer.

It is really famous (for me) Ray Bradbury title, indeed. May be those words are mentioned somehow in J.K.Rawling?s book?

As for changes list, well the half of it is certainly crazy fan-boy dream (ROTJ whole finale bulls**t especially), but the other half looks real, but too expensive for just a DVD release (Uncle George is so tight-fisted guy).

It is more suitable for possible theatrical re-release in 2007.

30th Anniversary Super Ultimate (but not ultimately last) Special Special Edition Executive Producer?s/Director?s Cut

2004 DVD would be a Special Editions with one disc of extras and some minor updates or re-updates I hope (Greedo didn?t shoot in ANH, Luke didn?t scream in ESB).

I moved to Scotland.  I started a degree in Artificial Intelligence.

I'm sure many here would love a degree in that score. I'd prefer a degree in something like Raiders of the Lost Ark or Superman. :)

Justin :)

I moved to Scotland.  I started a degree in Artificial Intelligence.

I'm sure many here would love a degree in that score. I'd prefer a degree in something like Raiders of the Lost Ark or Superman. :)

Justin :)

LOL

Oh no Justin, I don't think we want to start up the whole argument of how "A.I. sucks" and lacks emotional closure. Speaking of A.I., where is the guy? Is he still wise-cracking away?

BTW I also confused with song title (and tagline) from recent Potter?s trailer.  

It is really famous (for me) Ray Bradbury title, indeed. May be those words are mentioned somehow in J.K.Rawling?s book?  

John Williams went to the source, which isn't Ray Bradbury, but billy shake-a-spear. They are not part of the book by JKR.

You all know that something like that just CAN'T happen in the DVD, if they do that, they won't even be the movies anymore! Lucas will also lose all respect from everyone and how would they shoot all those scenes?