New Varese Club Titles On Monday

Kevin McCallister

Well Varese has announced that three new Varese Club soundtracks will be revealed on Monday, November 24.

I know most of us are crossing our fingers for Monsignor or Dracula. But what are some other good incomplete Fox scores? Surely there are tons...Independence Day perhaps? I know it's not very old, but hey, we can dream can't we? :)

Some other Fox labels are Mrs. Doubtfire by Howard Shore and Baby's Say Out by Bruce Boughton, both good scores, but again too recent. :)

Other possibilities could be Speed, The Pagemaster, The Good Son, and The Day The Earth Stood Still.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a Jaws 2 complete recording? Or what about releasing some forgotten work like they did with Heartbeeps? I fell of my chair when Varese came out with that.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I think Jaws 2 is complete on the c.d. we have now,and it was a Varese club release too in those days.

K.M.

There is only a regular Varèse release. 14 tracks are on it. It seems to me a re-recording for the CD, just like he did with the original Jaws. Do you know of another Jaws 2 CD? :)

----------------

Alex Cremers

Jaws 2's OST (I BELIEVE) is the same recording as the film (although I could be wrong... Miguel could correct me if I am). As for the film version, I only remember 1 or 2 very tiny perts of unreleased music, and it's quieter, 'Brody-feeling-bad-about-himself' music at that. The CD score is fairly complete and the sound quality is very, very good (IMO) so although it's one of my favorite scores, I'd cheer for other expanded Williams titles before this one.

Dracula and Monsignor expanded? Bring 'em on!!! Any of those ultra-early Williams scores property of Fox as well?

-Chris, Who always wants legit, sfx-free and crisp sound quality releases of Family Plot, Black Sunday, and IJ/TOD, but knows that the powers-that-be in control of these things are mindless food stampage.

To be very honest I don't remember if the Jaws 2 cd is a re-recording or the original soundtrack. Havne't listened or seen the film in a long time.

As for the cd, that was a regular Varese release, not a club release. They did mention the club on the booklet, but this could be found in just any store at the time of its release.

If this is how the music appears as in the film, then John really outdone himself with Jaws 2. I mean, listen to the Collectors edition of Jaws! Doesn't that album strikes you as more cue-ish when compared with the regular Original Soundtrack?

The tracks on Jaws 2 are like concert versions. I honestly think they are. Why would he re-arrange Jaws for listening purposes and not Jaws 2? Also, there's only 41 minutes on the CD. I think that's far from complete but I can't check it. Jaws 2 is not in my DVD collection, nor will it ever be. It takes the mind of a genius in his best years to make a good Jaws movie.

---------------

Alex Cremers

There are some missing cues from the Jaws 2 CD, the one that stands out the most is the scene where Brody wades out and finds the burnt remains of the boat driver. The Main Title is also different in the film and there are a few snippets throughout the film; the shark's arrival in Amity Harbour, Brody looking at the Diver's film and a minute or so missing from the Big Jolt.

There are few cues that seem to have a different tempo as well so it may be a re-recording since Williams tends to do so.

1. No, the Jaws 2 CD tracks are the usual Williams album arrangements. He'll take 2 or 3 smaller cues from the film and splice them together to make a longer track. One track will start with a cue from early scene, then go directly into a later scene. This is why I like to own both album versions and complete/chronological versions. The best of both worlds.

2. Sound quality of the film version (broadcast on cable) I saw was so bad that if the recording is different, I couldn't tell... other than the fact that it sounded like crap. I want to get the DVD to see, but that doesn't have 5.1 sound, so I wanted to get other DVDs 1st. I'll get Jaws & Jaws 2 at the same time whenever I do decide to get it. For the most part, it would likely just be slight tempo changes as Mark O. pointed out, but as he also pointed out, not a ton of unreleased stuff. A minute or two? Three?

I'd take it if they released it, but I'd want the other above mentioned ones 1st. :|

The new releases are Morricone, Horner and Alfred Newman. No North, though I expect Morn to be happy with the Newman as well.

As for me, I've never heard any of those, but I intend to get some Newman in the near future, so The Robe will probably be one of those.

But...

Marian - still waiting for The Great Train Robbery!!

http://www.varesesarabande.com/details.asp...1103%2D1025%2D2

Miguel it is assembled from the original film elements. Plus it is a two disc set with 90+ minutes of music.

I ordered mine right away, Varese only pressed 1500 copies.

Stefancos- who has exactly 1 CD by Newman.

Which one? I don't have any yet, but Hunchback of Notre Dame has been on my wish list for a while now, and How The West Was Won ever since that Soundings concert.

Marian - who believes he might have heard a cue from The Robe before, but isn't sure.

The Robe on 2CD's? Wow, my favourite Newman score. :) Stefancos, get it. A brilliant love theme, fulled with great fanfares and marches.

BTW can someone give me some money for those previous North releases. bowdown

I have the 3 CD set of Newman's "The Greatest Story ever Told", and though at first I was a bit disappointed with that score, the more I listen to it, the more I like it. I'd say that it is almost as good as Rozsa's "King of Kings", although this one is by far more thematic.

Is it comparable to "The Robe"?

I ask it because I am wondering wether to buy it or not?

Well I can't really say that well, I'm not too familar with that score, but I think if you like it you'd probably like The Robe.

I'll second Morn's recommendation. Not only is The Robe one of Newman's best scores, but it is also one of the best ever written in my opinion (even if it does recycle a couple of bits from Newman's earlier Hunchback of Notre Dame towards the end).

Of course it remains to be heard how good the sound quality is, but anyone serious about film music should buy this. And yes, Albaicin, it is better than The Greatest Story Ever Told! I recall reading somewhere that one of the great composers (was it Waxman?) resigned in disgust from the Academy Award panel when he heard that Newman's score had not been nominated for an Oscar. Am I making this up, or can any of our erudite members fill in the details?

Damien :sigh: