R.I.P. Michael Kamen

Lurker

sq-michael-kamen-site.jpg

News from November 7

and

interesting article

And from MTV News:

Most recently, Kamen directed the music for the 2002 Winter Olympics and scored Kevin Costner's film "Open Range." He was working on stage adaptations of "Mr. Holland's Opus" and "Don Juan DeMarco" at the time of his death.

MTV News

This is from a question I asked earlier about his future projects.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And in this article, he was planning to reunite with Metallica

Composer, conductor, and arranger Michael Kamen says he's planning to reunite with Metallica next year for more orchestral performances, according to an interview published Thursday (September 25) with the Hollywood Reporter. Their first collaboration, a double live set called S&M: Metallica With The San Francisco Symphony, was released in 1999 and has sold more than four million copies.

Personally, I don't really have many of MK's scores but I know his talent will be sorely missed by many others. Our thoughts and prayers will be with the Kamen family.

Thanks for the wonderful music Michael. Cheers.

:cry:

This is really sad indeed... even though I'm not a fan of his work I do recognize him as one of the bigger composers in Hollywood and it's sad to see him pass so early :(

I am now ashamed to say that I have never heard Robin Hood. I'll go out and get it tomorrow.

That said, Band of Brothers is one of my favorite scores of all time. May he now join the uncle he wrote it for.

This is really sad news. I was sitting in a waiting room today with my mom reading the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette sports section when my mom showed me the obit for Mr. Brett, a former Pittsburgh Pirate who was also 55. I tore it out of her hand when I saw the headline "prolific composer dies" and was shocked to see that Kamen was dead. Fifty-five is too young for anyone to go, especially someone so talented.

I marched a few years ago to the theme from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and really like the love song "Everything I Do" based on the love theme, even though it might not necessarily be all that cool to like Bryan Adams; that score's got a special spot in my heart. S&M is one cool album.

Rest in peace, Mr. Kamen. Godspeed.

In the end i ended up not playing any of Mr. Kamen's music the night i heard of his death.

The following morning though i took the CD of Band Of Brothers with me to listen to the train at work.

Less then a minute into the Main Theme i was crying.

I frankly did not expect such an emotional response to the death of any film composer, save Williams.

Now i'm afraid of how bad i will feel when Williams passes away.

Stefancos- :)

• 9 years later...

I've been browsing the forum for a few months as I've gotten back into actively listening to film scores and during that time I've found myself listening to quite a bit of Kamen, inlcuding both old favourites (Robin Hood, Band of Brothers, Lethal Weapon, X-Men) as well as previously unlistened to gems (Three Muskateers, Mr. Holland's Opus, Back to Gaya, Iron Giant). So it seems appropriate for my first post to celebrate Kamen's great legacy of music on the 10th anniversary of his passing. Maybe LLL will be treating us Kamen fans to a boxset in the near future?