Kamen on Williams

Jeshopk

I once read a Michael Kamen interview in which he said that hearing Williams showed him how fun and exciting orchestral film music could be (or something to that effect.)

It was actually an interview on a poster in the Berklee Film Scoring department in Boston. Maybe someone knows a link.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kamen's a good guy

He was. :(

Neil

The ironic thing is that I replied to this post first thinking that he was still alive, I had no idea he was dead until reading the other post.

you know, he really was a good guy, he was a great composer. :cry: but i am looking at the positive of this, he wrote great music and contributed greatly to the world of music. god bless him and hopefully he is in a better place

Never read about Kamen on Williams, but in the late 80's, i believe it was in 1987, Williams invited  Kamen to conduct a few shows with the Boston Pops, which he did.

And I think Kamen conducted Williams' Olympics music (among other music) at the opening of the latest Olympic Games, or am I wrong?

Never read about Kamen on Williams, but in the late 80's, i believe it was in 1987, Williams invited  Kamen to conduct a few shows with the Boston Pops, which he did.

And I think Kamen conducted Williams' Olympics music (among other music) at the opening of the latest Olympic Games, or am I wrong?

He did? At the Salt Lake City Olympics last year? I have the opening cerimonies show, and Williams plays his own piece, Call of the Champions, on that one.

Kamen had just signed on to Forrest Whitacker's (totaly wrong spelling) new romantic comedy. I also heard rumors that he was possibly gonna sign on to I Robot.

Fellow MovieMusic member Ed said he had the good fortune of watching Kamen conduct the Boston Pops in the early 90s:

I had the pleasure of watching Mr. Kamen conduct the Boston Pops orchestra in a Father's Day 1992 afternoon of film scores. He led the orchestra with great sweeping arm motions that appeared to draw ever-increasing energy and passion from the orchestra. His rendition of "Darth Vader's Theme" ("For all those out there with teenaged daughters," he quipped) should have been recorded: it was fast and furious and seemed more like a tornado of evil than a sinister march. He also presented a suite from "Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves" that surpassed (for me) the soundtrack performance. Most charmingly, he played the Waltz from "Baron Munchausen" - a favorite of mine. He was funny, charming, passionate and intimately connected to his audience. He expended so much energy that he reappeared after the intermission with his hair newly-wet and slicked back against his head.

:thumbup:

Does anybody have a recording of his version of Darth Vader's theme?  

It must be somewhere!

I bet the Boston Symphony people record their concerts in audio, they should release live performances of some of these concerts.

• 1 month later...
what ?

This is the second Hector bump I've seen today that carries on like no time has passed from the last post. Just seemed funny to me.

I just checked out Kamen's official site for the first time, love the loading screen with the loading of all the instruments

It's a great site. I discovered it 4 days before he passed away. I was thinking of the best ossible question to ask, but it was too late.

BTW- Did everyone else know that he married Aliya when she was 15? I just read that in time last week.

Yeah. He had to have been in his mid-20's when he did.

I think that's partially the reason she came out with a cd entitled, "Age ain't nothin' but a number."

That man's just as bad as Micheal Jackson, I mean what's the deal with these superstars anyway. You'll never hear on the news that JW was in some situation like that. I mean honestly, wasn't R. Kelly able to get pretty much any groupie he wanted, and yet he went for a youngin'?

BTW- Did everyone else know that he married Aliya when she was 15? I just read that in time last week.

Yeah. He had to have been in his mid-20's when he did.

I think that's partially the reason she came out with a cd entitled, "Age ain't nothin' but a number."

That man's just as bad as Micheal Jackson, I mean what's the deal with these superstars anyway. You'll never hear on the news that JW was in some situation like that. I mean honestly, wasn't R. Kelly able to get pretty much any groupie he wanted, and yet he went for a youngin'?

The MJ thing is just plain sick, if it's true

15 you know ain't 'that' young really for certain things, although it's young enough to be too easily intimidated by an adult.

Of course it aint that young for, ahem, 'certain things', but marriage it's relatively early, and for a child rapist, it's a sign for things to come.

Yes well that sort of thing... the adult is likely too be too intimidating for them to think clearly and it could leave long term psychological problems.

Apparently Against the Ropes is Michael Kamen's last score. Pity he had to go out scoring such a insignificant, uninspired film.

I would just like to point out that while Rogue may seem like an authority on the subject of that film I'd like to point out that it hasn't even been released yet.

Neil

Apparently Against the Ropes is Michael Kamen's last score. Pity he had to go out scoring such a insignificant, uninspired film.

I would just like to point out that while Rogue may seem like an authority on the subject of that film I'd like to point out that it hasn't even been released yet.

Neil

OH come on Neil we aren't going to go through this again are we? :music:

Look we've seen the trailers for this deal and it looks like the standard "struggle for glory" film thats been done dozens of times already.

Look I am not saying its a turkey but my point was that Kamen deserved somthing FAR MORE grand for a final film that this deal.

BTW, I was visiting this site on a cyber, which obviusly had me logged out, and saw something very interesting, a tribute to Michael Kamen and I thought "oh, that's very nice", but whenever I log in, it does not appear to me. Strange.