Michael Giacchino to score The Incredibles!

Erik Woods

I've been wanting to share this with all of you for quite some time... and now I can.

Michael has been officially signed as the composer of PIXAR's next animated feature, The Incredibles, directed by Brad Bird (Iron Giant). The film is set to be released November 5th, 2004.

-Erik-

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think as film score fans we're in for more dissapointments. I was raised on the music of John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith and John Barry (the three J's!). Hell, in the 80's you could tack on James Horner, too. Williams is getting a lot of repsect, but the series that made me fall in love with his music (Star Wars) literally tears his music apart. At least we have the album, which has some semblance of cohernecy. Goldsmith's music for Timeline will not be heard though Looney Tunes was a fun score but hardly great. The less said about Horner the better. And Barry just can't seem to ride a project out anymore. Now I see this new wave of composers coming in, and so far I'm not impressed with what I'm hearing. Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

I've heard a lot of people praise Giacchino's music, but I've never heard it (I'm not a gamer). Maybe he'll be good, but he's got some BIG shoes to fill replacing John Barry.

Neil

Goldsmith's Timeline will be heard- I know a recording exists.

And Giacchino has some very big shoes to fill- but I know his magnificent Metal of honor scores by Heart- and I've never played the games.

I'm really surprised by the lack of faith in Giacchino. I guess not too many people have heard his stellar work on ALIAS week to week. This guys has been producing some truly excellent music week after week for that show and has elevated it by doing so. To be honest, I was never interested in the premise of that show but my girlfriend, an avid fan, made me watch it. What really impressed me was the music by this Giacchino character. I bought a lengthy KEYBOARD magazine article on the making of the music for that show and was even more impressed. Anyone who has any doubts about Giacchino's abilities should visit his website

http://www.michaelgiacchino.com/alias.html

and listen to some of the examples. This is quality stuff! And there's a stylistic breadth to his stuff that I've yet to hear from some of the other movie composers in the same age category.

I'm really excited about this.

MICHAEL GIACCHINO MICHAEL GIACCHINO MICHAEL GIACCHINO

Holy Mother of God

How can you not be excited by Giacchino (I'll admit I've never really listened to (if any of) John Barry's scores((yes feel free to teach me the ways of how Mr. Barry is so good)) )

First of all, his work on the Medal of Honor games is phenominal. He was the first person to actually use an orchestra for a video game(Jurassic Park: The Lost World) His work on the Medal of Honor series (after being hand picked by Spielberg) is well documented, he's shown his phenominal penchant for composing (The hero theme of the MOH games, along with Patterson's theme, Marin's theme, the Nazi theme among others are all AMAZING) I say why not have Michael doing it? He deserves to be noticed now.

Max-Owns the MOH Frontline soundtrack, MOH Underground sountrack(from eBay) and will get the original 1st MOH soundtrack on eBay tomorrow. I also plan on pre-ordering the Secret Weapons Over Normandy soundtrack to get the free signed copy along with getting the Call of Duty soundtrack off eBay since nobody else has it

Giachino will not dissapoint.

Justin -Who is not dissapointed.....Who is not dissapointed.....Who is not dissapointed.........

Once again Justin hit the nail on the head.

Marian - :)

Isn't that kinda like replacing Leonardo DaVinci with the guy who was painting your garden fench?

Stefancos- who was looking forward to some new Barry.

Giacchino > Barry

Nowadays at least.

Anyway this is great news!!!!!

Glad to see major movie studios have FINALLY Taken advantage of the OBVIOUS and INCREDIBLE talent this man has.

Cool, his medal of honor scores were neat, his call of duty score was brilliant though, more interesting than most new film scores and packing a lot of emotion. I want to hear a Pixar score by him! Michael Giacchino raises my hopes for the future of film music for the next generation.

I was going to put this in my big post on Michael before but I forgot.

Michael for some reason reminds me of Micael Kamen and not because of their names.....along with resembling JW

He's pretty young, I'm guessing either his late twenties or early thirties, either way he's going to be even more amazing as time goes on.

Max-Is going out on a limb and hypothesizing that Michael could become a John Williams

Max-Is going out on a limb and hypothesizing that Michael could become a John Williams

Hopefully not in terms of musical style, as that would be pretty disappointing. I would hope that he'd eventually develop his own trademark style as Goldsmith and Elfman (to name two of the strongest examples) have done.

The ALIAS article in Keyboard magazine back in July 2002 is quite extensive on Giacchino's compositional process and all that. In it he reveals that he's always composed one line at a time even if he was playing the lines into a sequencer. This accounts for why his music sounds more contrapuntal than most guys (aka Media Ventures) who use synths.

I agree that SIAMESE COAST is a kick ass track. It reminds me a bit of Goldsmith's TORA TORA TORA. Really nice Asian flavor. I'm glad I checked out his video game examples because they are stunning! I mean, how many composers can write music that is as emotive as "Armen" for a video game?

I agree that Giacchino is the shining hope for the future of film scoring.

Alas now i regret not playing the MOH games when i had it. Foolish me, missing what sounds like great peices of music. :cry:

The ALIAS article in Keyboard magazine back in July 2002 is quite extensive on Giacchino's compositional process and all that.  In it he reveals that he's always composed one line at a time even if he was playing the lines into a sequencer.  This accounts for why his music sounds more contrapuntal than most guys (aka Media Ventures) who use synths.  

I agree that SIAMESE COAST is a kick ass track.  It reminds me a bit of Goldsmith's TORA TORA TORA.  Really nice Asian flavor.  I'm glad I checked out his video game examples because they are stunning!  I mean, how many composers can write music that is as emotive as "Armen" for a video game?

I also thought of TORA TORA TORA when I listened to the Siamese Coast track, this only confirms more that I will purchase the SWON 2 disc soundtrack.

Armen (That's not how it's spelled) is a very emotional track from Frontline, I will say that my fav track from the soundtrack is No. 14 (Sturmgeist's Train i believe) just the huge crescendo into the MOH theme at the end is worth the price of admission.

HPFAN_2 wrote:

Alas now i regret not playing the MOH games when i had it. Foolish me, missing what sounds like great peices of music.

Everybody should go play the MOH games for the music alone! I went back and played the original MOH on Playstation a while ago, the graphics are horrible but the music is outstanding, the first soundtrack remains today my favorite.

Alas now i regret not playing the MOH games when i had it. Foolish me, missing what sounds like great peices of music.   :cry:

You can still get the soundtracks you know? They sell em on Amazon.

That's what we said about David Arnold and Joel McNeely.Oh well,we'll see,I never heard his videogame music.

I'm sure some of these composers will turn up a good score occasionally,I just don't see someone nailing it exactly right time and time again over several decades as Williams does.They can try to imitate John Williams,but there will never be another John Williams,sorry,that's what I think.

K.M.

I seriously think Giachino will deliver, he knows how to handle the orchestra. You don't have to like computer games to get his scores. His The Lost World is fantastic, and some of his clips at the Secret Weapon's over Normandy site are amazing. I really think this is great.

Justin -Wondering if the Pixar/Randy Newman collaboration is over.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Neil

No, you're not.

I have the impression that there is a whole bunch of mediocre film composers (uhum MediaVentures uhum) getting the assignments that people like Williams, Goldsmith and so on used to get (and they made the movies better, but nowadays...). Maybe you can compare it with the whole CGI thing. The producers of films are all over CGI and MV. I'd rather they wouldn't be.

Greetz!

Giachino is in no way a mediocre film composer. Just because he replaced Barry gives you no right not to get this album. :P

Justin -Who thinks Neil owes everyone at Pixar his money for this album. :devil:

Giachino is in no way a mediocre film composer.

Well, you can't say yet whether he is or is not because scoring films is a whole different ball game from scoring multimedia games, which constitute the majority of his assignments thus far.

Um, folks, Giacchino has been scoring ALIAS for the past 3 seasons and has scored small films before. The guy knows what he's doing. and if you've heard his stuff from ALias, you'd realize that he's got a helluva lot more range than you're giving him credit for. I find his music inifinitely more interesting (and better written) than many of the newer "A-List" composers getting major scoring assignments these days.

I had never heard of Michael Giacchino until reading this post today. I went to the links that Fiery Angel and Rogue Leader suggested and did some listening and I must say that I am truly impressed with what I heard. I even pre-ordered the Secret Weopons Over Normandy CDs at La-La Land Records. Thanks everyone for introducing me to an artist who I think will take his place among the musical greats. I can't wait for The Incredibles now!

That's what we said about David Arnold and Joel McNeely.Oh well,we'll see,I never heard his videogame music.

I'm quite sure that Giacchino is better.

I'm sure some of these composers will turn up a good score occasionally,I just don't see someone nailing it exactly right time and time again over several decades as Williams does.They can try to imitate John Williams,but there will never be another John Williams,sorry,that's what I think.

Really, Williams is just another Korngold, Steiner, Herrmann, North, Rozsa. :devil: Actually Giacchino has nailed quite a few things already.

Well the bidding is over, I won the soundtrack albeit WAY above what I originally planned it would go for

In the end I won the original Medal of Honor soundtrack for $128.50

part of me thinks I'm crazy and the other thinks that if I didn't bid, this chance would never come again

CRIPES ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY EIGHT DOLLARS

I'm with Mark.  I wouldn't pay that much for a complete Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom 2 CD set.

Neil

hmm,would that be without SFX and dialogue?

K.M. :?

Hey that's only $65 or so between them. ;)

Hmm, TOD complete for $128. Hmm, not only would I have a holly grail of jw stuff, but it would be great for trading/selling copies. :P