Michael Giacchino to score The Incredibles!

Erik Woods

Sure, they have a few gags here and there, but what about a warm "heart", a love for their work, a passion for their art. These are the things I'm missing in a Dreamworks animation flick.

I see plenty of that from both studios.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, they have a few gags here and there, but what about a warm "heart", a love for their work, a passion for their art. These are the things I'm missing in a Dreamworks animation flick.

I see plenty of that from both studios.

I know YOU do. But Morlock, I'm speaking for us, the art lovers, the appreciators of beauty, the connaisseurs of all things good. We went inside Dreamworks, searched with our hands and found a pitch black, non-beating heart. It was a cold place, Morlock. I hope The Incredibles will heat me back up again.

---------------

Alex Cremers

Whatever man- you willingly saw Blueberry. Last movie I saw was Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter.....and Spring. Ask all of your art lovers, appreciators of beauty and connaisseurs of all things good who comes out on top.

Just because I went to a disappointing exposition doesn't mean I can't appreciate fine art, Morlock.

---------------

Alex Cremers - who knew Morlock would respond with, "whatever".

Just because I went to disappointing exposition doesn't mean I can't appreciate fine art, Morlock.

I never dared suggest that. But you've no more claim to all those stuff you said than me. If you don't like Dreamworks, fine. The fact that you don't find it funny and warm and touching doesn't mean it's not there, it just means that it doesn't work for you.

Alex Cremers - who knew Morlock would respond with, "whatever".

Nothing else could've been said.

Morlock- having fun watching CNN

Here is my official review of the film. It contains general statements about plot and characters, but no specific spoilers. In my opinion, it is a safe read for people who haven't yet seen it. Thank you to Neil for my new favorite word: idolatry!

The review basically says this: "Go see it!!"

The Incredibles

Film Review ****

Is there anyone who loves films who has not seen Woody and Buzz Lightyear lead Andy?s toys in one adventure after another, or has not followed Marlin and Dory through an ocean of sea turtles, sharks, and seagulls? jaws? Pixar?s films have become the favorites of children and adults alike, immersing us in worlds that we do not forget.

Pixar clearly possesses some secret that other animation studios, or film studios in general, have yet to discover. Every single film they have made is enormously special (as well as a box office success). I was worried, then, when I first saw the teaser trailer for The Incredibles. I was used to Pixar giving souls to the lifeless and thoughts to creatures we could normally not understand. So here was a new film about superheroes? Not only that, but it was a film which showcased human beings, not fish. I was afraid it didn?t have the potential to live up to Pixar?s past glory.

All my doubts were needless, because The Incredibles works amazingly well. The film?s divergence from Pixar?s past work turns out to be its greatest strength. In this world, superheroes (or ?supers?) exist, and regularly save the day using whatever powers they may possess. Mr. Incredible (voiced by Craig T. Nelson) boasts enough strength to weightlift with train cars; his wife Elastigirl can stretch her body into any form; Frozone (Samuel L. Jackson) creates ice at will and rides waves of glacier with the agility of a surfer and the grace of a speed skater.

Though these extraordinary men and woman are first young and invincible, they soon struggle with the hurdles of life like any other human being. Condemned by the masses in a telling display of public ignorance fueled by the media, they fade into society, forced to deal with middle age, parenthood, and the horrific workplace. Mr. Incredible becomes Bob Parr, working an insurance claims job, and his wife becomes Helen, delegated to be stay-at-home mom. Their children possess superpowers as well, but are forbidden to use them, in order to fit in ? son Dashiell (or ?Dash?, appropriately) can run at supersonic speeds; daughter Violet can become invisible and create force fields. Soon after they begin to cope with their new, un-?super? lives, Mr. Incredible is drawn back into action, along with the rest of his family.

To me the film recalls a mixture of cartoon and James Bond film. The characters use their powers in remarkably funny and imaginative ways, so the notion of superhero never seems formulaic; even their names, like Bomb Voyage and Syndrome (Jason Lee), are fresh. Indeed, Pixar?s ability to name their characters cleverly is a hallmark ? think Dory or Crush from Nemo, or Heimlich from A Bug?s Life.

From the Bond side, the film has all the speed and action we could want - machine gun fire, explosions, and actual deaths portrayed off screen. There is the evil villain and his lair, a plot for global domination, and the seductive woman. Q?s counterpart here is Edna E. Mode, who supplies superheroes with their gadgets ? she is so quirky it?s hard to describe her, but I only know she is one of the funniest characters I have ever seen on screen, and amazingly, voiced by director Brad Bird. Even the composer of the film?s score, Michael Giacchino, was chosen because his style was influenced by that of John Barry, who was the composer for nearly every Bond film up until The Living Daylights. Yet even as these comparisons are made, the film has its own original flavor that we?ve never tasted before.

At its core, though, The Incredibles has its own special and very relevant message about acceptance and family - it is not merely a tale about a plot for world domination. Similarly, Toy Story and Monster?s Inc. contain deep messages about friendship; in Nemo, about love and how to live. How is it possible, then, to wrap these successfully in what some people call cartoons? Somehow, Pixar finds a way.

From a visual standpoint, The Incredibles has set the bar for animated films to a new level, which is to be expected from a studio which has been doing exactly that for two decades. There are some fabulous displays of architecture in this film; my favorite is a skyscraping, stone statue of a woman whose dress is formed by a waterfall. Another amazing visual was to see the realism of characters? wet hair as they bob up and down in the ocean ? perhaps a homage to Nemo.

Pixar likes to slip in cameos of past and future films everywhere ? the colored ball from their early animated short Luxo Jr. is in all their films, as is the Pizza Planet truck from Toy Story. Nemo himself actually appeared in Monster?s, Inc., before Finding Nemo was even completed! (Of course, The Incredibles is also camoed in Nemo). I?ll leave you the enjoyment of finding those yourself.

It should be clear by now that I regard Pixar with complete idolatry, but the fact is that this film is yet another in their legacy of producing films of the highest quality. To me, Finding Nemo will always be their standout ? it helped me realize I wanted to study computer graphics ? but The Incredibles is fantastic in its own way. I don?t know how I ever entertained the slightest notion that it would be anything less.

Hmmm, let's be honest here for a moment. Giacchino did a good job but I think the film is way more cooler than the music. Whatta ya say, guys?

----------------

Alex Cremers

I thought this film was great and lived up to the past standards. However, it was a bit slow in parts in the middle, but made it's way through just fine.

Spoiler Alert!!!!!

One thing I wish we saw more of was Frozone. He seemed more to me like the token black guy. But that might have been done on purpose.

Also, I like the password: Kronos. The Klingon homeworld.

looks stupid to me

btw is that 4 stars out of 4 stars, or 4 out of 5, or 4 out of 10?

funny Justin, I think the incredibles looks like a stupid movie, time sure gave it a mixed review.

funny Justin, I think the incredibles looks like a stupid movie, time sure gave it a mixed review.

We rate on a four star scale.

Joe, you really ought to try opening your mind sometime. Haven't you learned that you can't form opinions based on what a single other person says? I'm sure there's at least one film you love that the majority of the viewers hated. What if you had listened to them?

Joe did his best to find "one" mixed review. And yep, he found "one". But while he was looking he overlooked 20 superlative ones. It's time to invite Joe in our catapult chair, fellas. Set it "To The Moon", will ya?. So long, Joe! It's been fun!

----------------

Alex Cremers - who just bought Seinfeld, the two first seasons...FINALLY!

It's time to invite Joe in our catapult chair, fellas. Set it "To The Moon", will ya?. So long, Joe! It's been fun!

Joe has been here years before you and will be amongst us long after the name Alexcremers is but a memory here

Joe has been here years before you and will be amongst us long after the name Alexcremers is but a memory here

While I don't disagree. I don't see how that strengthen's Joe's position.

Justin

He let you get killed by a shark, caused confusion by stating he and Ren were the same person, he even declared Patrick Doyle dead...

And he's still around.

He will survive a case of bad judgement regarding The Incredibles.

Stefancos, I was just teasing the man. Why do you jump at everyone who teases Joe??? Surely, he's quite capable to deal with it himself.

:roll:

Anyone who mis-used the name of Joe will have to deal with me.

My knives are ready and the pages are written.

Now all I have to do is retieve your adress from my email box.

hey alex, I've read one review (time), saw another rating (people), besides Kevin's.

you bitch and moan at me for loving Potter, and say I only love kiddy movies,  now you bitch and moan at me for not loving a kiddy movie

well I don't like Pixar animated films as a rule, to me they are pretty bland.  While not a bad as Anime or manga, which are just bad, this style doesn't do much for me.

so tell me again why you are bitching at me, 'cause I don't want to see a kiddy movie? :roll:

And Potter movies are not bland? Get out of here!

I didn't bitch and moan (you did, remember": "Looks stupid, blah, blah"). I only tried to put your words in perspective. It was necessary. One lousy review don't outweigh 20 superlative ones.

----------------

Alex Cremers

all I have to say, cause I don't want Kevin's thread locked because of your ego conflict with my opinion

Meaning of "ego":

1. [n] (psychoanalysis) the conscious mind

2. [n] your consciousness of your own identity

3. [n] an inflated feeling of pride in your superiority to others

Maybe I do recognize myself in "1" and "2", but "3" ... nah.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I enjoyed the film. Its very clever. I was mostly curious to see how good Giachino did and I was impressed which doesn't happen much these days. He's obviously very gifted musically. Sometimes if a composer tries to play such an obvious homage to a past composer or genre, it just feels 2nd-rate or watered down and I'd just assume hear the original. In this case, he writes so well in theJohn Barry/Bond and Mancini mold, the music being so fun and of high quality, I avoided this reaction completely.

He's also got a certain flair for the drama on-screen which I don't hear enough of. Though I could quibble with certain moments here and there and the score falls short in some respects, overall, he was impressive in his ability to highlight the images on-screen. The end-credits sequence alone would make me want to pay more attention to this guy. Definitely a top-tier effort in my mind.

- Adam

Saw it last night and loved it! I am consistently impressed with Pixar's wit - it was a fun movie! And I was very impressed with the score - it's the first Giaocchino I've really paid attention to, and he was great! It fit the film perfectly - what higher praise can I give? :)

Also loved the SW teaser trailer, though I wondered if they were ever going to get around to the new footage!

After you hear this score you'll think he's the next John Barry of the 60's! :D

I saw the movie and I get what you mean.In fact maybe they should consider Giacchino for the next Bond film.

K.M.

This movie was entertaining. The visuals were unbelievable. It was extremely clever. BUT...

What seems to be missing from the last three Pixar films is humor. It wasn't that funny. It had a few laughs, but for the most part it was only just clever. Finding Nemo was also visually impressive, but it wasn't funny at all. I know a lot of people would disagree, but the style of humor just wasn't up to par with the Toy Story's and A Bug's Life - because those make me laugh.

A good movie, but not funny. I miss Buzz and Woody.

And I will always hate Finding Nemo because it got on my nerves. When those responsible for character's voices are annoying, the movie suffers....and I HATE Ellen Degeneres. It's sad when the only laugh a movie gets is when a bird floating on the ocean farts.

There's my two cents.

I think there's an element of truth that Incredibles wasn't really as funny as the other films. I thought Finding Nemo was hillarious. But you're right Woody and Buzz really set the bar and none have been able to surpase it.

Justin - Who needs Disney to pull the Toy Story movies out of there f***ing Disney vault!!

As far as I'm concerned The Incredibles is yet another Pixar masterpiece, but more importantly, writer/director Brad Bird's work is finally getting the attention it derserves on the big-screen.

I saw The Incredibles and didn't much like it at all. Music, pacing, humour or lack thereof. But one thing I respect was Brad Bird's composition. Like Iron Giant, he really knows how to frame his shots. Very nicely done. But generally I wasn't that impressed. But then again, a more original score would have helped. I have followed Giacchino since his Alias show and thought a lot of his abilities. I'm very disappointed that he didn't bring more of himself to the table on this, his first big-time score. The disparity in scores between The Incredibles and Iron Giant is rather large. For the latter, Kamen composed one of the best scores of his career. I honestly wish he could have written the music for The Incredibles. Wishful thinking obviously given the circumstances....

There are some nice parts to Giacchino's score. I cannot remember the parts specifically as the film didn't make as indelible impression on me as I had hoped, but there were some cues that worked really well. I'm not doubting his abilities- I think his MOH score and Alias work is first rate. And the music was well done with respect to orchestration and such. I just hoped he would come up with something more distinctive rather than being a stand-in for the guy Bird had originally gone for....John Barry, who ironically, doesn't write like that himself any more.