The Fourth Thursday of November

Lurker

Happy Thanksgiving, to everyone that celebrates it.

Otherwise, I hope the rest of you are having a nice Thursday.

Neil - watching the James Bond marathon on Spike TV

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope everybody is having a happy Thanksgiving

I'll be enjoying it at a neighbors house tonight and then tomorrow I'm off to chicago for JW

When do you think is the right time to dust off Christmas music and enjoy listening to it? I have recently made two new purchases and can?t wait to hear them all. But I don?t want to bee too untimely, you know? What is your favorite Christmas music, anyway? Or should this be asked in another folder? :) I want to discuss my Christmas favorites with others, so I want to know what you guys and gals like and still no such thread has been launched!

:)

Little Drummer Roman.-)

Thanksgiving is IMHO the best American Holiday. I love all the family get together, and the Turkey isn't bad either, and I hope it was a great one for all the American posters here, and I hope all the international posters had a great day too.

Joe, who ate too much, and watched football all day.

Yes, wonderfull, a holiday celebrating the kindness the Native Americans showed those Colonists....

Boy, i'm sure they lived to regret it.

Stefancos- who considers Thanksgiving the most misguided and hypocritical of all holidays.

Yes, wonderfull, a holiday celebrating the kindness the Native Americans showed those Colonists....

Boy, i'm sure they lived to regret it.

Stefancos- who considers Thanksgiving the most misguided and hypocritical of all holidays.

So, over time, it has become something else, just as Halloween and Christmas (for the many non-Christians out there, and, in some ways, for the Christians, too) have. I don't find it hypocritical to genuinely celebrate a holiday for what it is today. I would agree that it's important to have some knowledge about relevant history and, yes, in this case, to acknowledge the genocidal tendencies of certain groups of European settlers. But I argue that it's fair to divorce the spirit of the holiday from its origin.

this case, to acknowledge the genocidal tendencies of certain groups of European settlers.

Sounds suspicously like an attempt to suggest "Nothing to do with me...i'm an American. It was the Europeans" :)

Anyway...

Yoda, "Home Alone" is the obvious choice. But though I have a few other Christmas CDs, I might not listen to them just because it's the Christmas season. But I do enjoy listening to "A Very Ally Christmas."

Jeff -- who will watch "Home Alone" and listen to the CD lots in the next month

I love all the family get together, and the Turkey isn't bad either

We call that christmas here, and we exchange presents too. :)

Morn - Who wonders what thanksgiving is about anyway and what's it got to do with christmas music, weird north american customs.....

Its not a weird north american custom, its strictly an American custom Morn, Canada doesn't celebrate it, and I know mexico doesn't either.

Christmas music isn't part of Thanksgiving, its just usually the time where Christmas music is acceptable to play.

By the way I tend to listen to Christmas music early, but most people don't.

this case, to acknowledge the genocidal tendencies of certain groups of European settlers.

Sounds suspicously like an attempt to suggest "Nothing to do with me...i'm an American. It was the Europeans" :mrgreen:

Actually, if you want be technical about it, my ancestors had nothing to do with the "Great Biological Exchange" or any of the violent chaos that ensued... :)

Sure it was a couple of days ago, but I hope all you Americans had a lovely day stuffing yourself to the gills! One of my closest friends celebrates Thanksgiving (his dad's a Yank) and it sounds like a fine excuse to hang out with family and pig out on food, which is a very fine thing indeed :).

CYPHER

Yes,for the rest it's the same thing, a holiday basically to invite family and eat turkey .I think the US date used to be the same at some point in the past.

K.M.