Is Howard Shore of LOTR the same Howard Shore

JoeinAR

who used to be on Saturday Night Live, back in the intial season, with his band? I forget what it used to be called. Howard Shore and his __________ band.

Joe, who watched the Christmas episode from SNL 1975, last night. The implied humor was fantastic, genius really, and so restrained. They walked boundries they would later cross, and have long since been passed today.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The implied humor was fantastic, genius really, and so restrained. They walked boundries they would later cross, and have long since been passed today.

They crossed those boundaries....and suddenly, the show stopped being funny.

- Uni :mad:

Guliani said it best during the whole Sept 11 thing

Lorne Michaels said something like Can we be funny again?

Guliani replied "Why start now?"

Yes, it's the same Howard Shore. I didn't know Marc Shaiman was an SNL alumnus. Was he a bandleader or keyboardist?

Director - curious and just who also just bought 2 obscure Shaiman scores cause he likes Shaiman a lot.

:) "Cynthia" from The First Wives Club (Shaiman)

I just got his scores to Forget Paris and Ghosts Of Mississippi and they both seem to have promising moments. I gotta listen to them and find out.

The First Wives Club was pretty neat. It had it's funny "pizzazz" moments and it was a nominated score......as was Patch Adams -- a beautiful score..........and Simon Birch too!

Director - remembering more as he goes...

...Misery!

Shaiman played in the live band (not sure of the instrument), sometimes arranging material. He also, from time to time, would appear in some of the skits. I remember him saying in an interview that he enjoyed those times because he would get paid twice (as an actor and musician).

And how 'bout that Mark Isham, huh? A Windham Hill Artist trying to make it as film composer! In the late eighties, who'd've imagined Isham writing music for something like Impostor?