"The Quiet Man" and "Far and Away"

Is it just me or does Ron Howard like rehashing old John Wayne/Ford movies? After hearing what the plot for The Missing was, and watching The Searchers a few days later, it seemed like there was a connection.

This morning, I flipped on the TV and saw that The Quiet Man was on. To me, it was reminding me of Far and Away. Maybe not the film so much as the score. The inclusion of "The Rakes of Mellow" definitely brought Williams to mind, but Victor Young's sweeping orchestra and the Celtic pipes were all kind of putting me in the mood of Far and Away. I just listened to a few clips of the Silva CD on Amazon.com, and I was more convinced that it sounded like Far and Away than I was when I was watching the movie.

What are your opinions?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen The Quiet Man, a great movie that is Far and Away in reverse, heh. Good score, I believe Williams played the piano in it too, he said that the score inspired him to be a film composer along with Vertigo.

John Williams has said many times before that one of his favorite movies while growing up was The Quiet Man, and that he was fascinated by it, and he always wanted to do something like that, and when they offered him Far and Away, he, of course, could not refuse.

• 1 month later...

No, Silva's released Quiet Man and the recording was with the Pitt Symph. I'm not sure if it's a rerecording or if they originally recorded under Young's baton. I looked it up on Amazon not long ago and that's what it said.

• 1 month later...

These scores sound a lot alike. I bought the score about a month ago and I've listened to it quite a bit since. The other day, I listened to it first then put Far and Away in right after it and heard a lot of deep similarities. "The Race" in TQM sounds a lot like "The Land Race" in F&A, as far as the general tone goes.