Female Composers

HPFAN_2

I'm sure this topic has come up before, if it has forgive me. Since i am a blatant newbie to the whole movie score thing i have never heard of any female composers. Why is that? I don't think women are incapable of composing master peaces. And if there is can you tell me some good ones.

True, but she has some good stuff (Even though most of it is gentle piano...).

I like her theme for Emma, and I like the main motif in The Human Stain. I havn't heard anything of hers that's unpleasent, which is more than I can say for most composers.

Great Score Stefancos......yeah she is a great composer......but what has Shirly worked on latley, I tried to see if she had any upcoming projects...could not find anything.

• 10 years later...

Assassin's Creed Unity comes out next week, and two volumes of the score drop on iTunes tomorrow. Chris Tilton and Ryan Amon are two of the three composers that have worked on it. The third? Sarah Schachner, apparently a pupil on Brian Tyler's.

post-2558-0-12413500-1415042116.jpg

When I was studying a decade or so ago, I was one of three male students that my teacher saw - he had something like two dozen private students in all at the time. I hope they all go on to be extremely successful. Film music needs more women.

Assassin's Creed Unity comes out next week, and two volumes of the score drop on iTunes tomorrow. Chris Tilton and Ryan Amon are two of the three composers that have worked on it. The third? Sarah Schachner, apparently a pupil on Brian Tyler's.

attachicon.gifsarah.jpg

Oooh! It says she worked on Brian Tyler's Now You See Me, but I dunno what she did because there's nothing from it on her soundcloud, and when you click on the Now You See Me link on her homepage, it just shows you a giant version of the film's poster

attachicon.gifsarah.jpg

Oooh! It says she worked on Brian Tyler's Now You See Me, but I dunno what she did because there's nothing from it on her soundcloud, and when you click on the Now You See Me link on her homepage, it just shows you a giant version of the film's poster

Yeah she's worked on a bunch of his scores. I'm just amazed that there's an incredibly attractive young female composer working today!

I'll add Anne Dudley on the merits of American History X alone, although I don't like the rest of her output.

Also, Heather McIntosh, even though the only one of her scores that's been released yet is Compliance, but it's really good!

It really is a man's industry.

In terms of the folks getting prime scoring gigs, yes.

Debbie Wiseman's carved out a name for herself in the UK, she's scored a lot of TV shows and smaller films (mostly for BBC, maybe she has a contract with them). I'm surprised none of the U.S. music producers heard her work... I think if more heard her work for Arsene Lupin, they'd be suggesting her for their next projects. She has a more distinctive sound than Rachel Portman.

I wish Shirley Walker was still living. I'd love to see what she would be working on now.

I like Yoko Kanno.

Debbie Wiseman's carved out a name for herself in the UK, she's scored a lot of TV shows and smaller films (mostly for BBC, maybe she has a contract with them). I'm surprised none of the U.S. music producers heard her work... I think if more heard her work for Arsene Lupin, they'd be suggesting her for their next projects. She has a more distinctive sound than Rachel Portman.

Shit, I just remembered I need to listen to Arsene Lupin, I once overheard a bit of it when they were running that on TV and I was like... that's interesting.

I like Yoko Kanno.

Shit, I just remembered I need to listen to Arsene Lupin, I once overheard a bit of it when they were running that on TV and I was like... that's interesting.

Here you go.

• 8 months later...

Let's not forget Lolita Ritmanis, she worked with Shirley Walker on the animated Batman and Superman shows with several other composers. Her work on "Little Girl Lost" and her contributions to "World's Finest Part 3" were terrific.

I think that comparing to men, who can naturally achieve totally abstract and useless things (at short term), like composing classical music, wowen aren't able. Or I must say, it doesn't come to them as naturally as for men.

Then, I think men are obsessed by the idea to "leave" something behind them. I don't think that's so important for women in general, but there are exceptions, thankfully.

Well, that's my two cents.

They have the courage to say what we're all thinking. Women's brains aren't really built for anything outside the kitchen or petty gossip with friends.

I think that comparing to men, who can naturally achieve totally abstract and useless things (at short term), like composing classical music, wowen aren't able. Or I must say, it doesn't come to them as naturally as for men.

Then, I think men are obsessed by the idea to "leave" something behind them. I don't think that's so important for women in general, but there are exceptions, thankfully.

WTF??

Well if you're looking at the age of Mozart and Beethoven, and counting the number of female composers from that time period, and derive conclusions about anatomy without considering the socioeconomic role of women and the opportunities they had at the time, you have serious issues with deduction.

Well if you're looking at the age of Mozart and Beethoven, and counting the number of female composers from that time period, and derive conclusions about anatomy without considering the socioeconomic role of women at the time, you have serious issues with deduction.

I don't speak about anatomy, I speak about real women and men living on this earth. Well, of course, women never had the chance of men regarding the equality of chances, education and socioeconomic situation.

Today, that's different and for the better!

Wait, you mean sheilas aren't as interested in leaving behind a "legacy" as men are? Interesting idea, but awkwardly expressed and too tenuously connected to the discussion.

Up until very recently women did not have the possibility of expressing themselves artistically.

Women have been the subject of art since the beginning of time, but weren't able to be artists themselves. What are the first examples of accepted female artistic expression which actually had a signature? The writings of the Jane Austin and women from here period? And even there there weren't a lot of female sculpters, painters etc around I think.

The experts have been saying for centuries that women are more interested in earthly things and that men are the dreamers. Could this have played a part in the shortage of female artists? Any Dr. historians around here?

Alex

I will add another layer.

Once a woman has childs, it becomes the center of his universe and nothing, understand me, NOTHING exists that is more important than them.

That gives them a capital gain that the other genre has unfortunately not.