Female Composers

HPFAN_2

In what time period did the first female composers come along when it came to orchestral music? Any of our musically educated members know?

In America, at least, the first significant woman was Amy Cheney Beach (1867-1944). There was also Ethel Smyth in England and Lili Boulanger in France. I've not heard anything by Smyth, but what I've heard of Beach's is rather like Brahms. I did like the one work of Boulanger's I've heard.

Who made the cave paintings? Perhaps the women whilst the men were hunting?

Unknown.

Of course there have been female artisans for centuries. But almost all art created by women went unsigned. The lack of signature means that women's history when it comes to artistic achievement has all but disappeared.

In what time period did the first female composers come along when it came to orchestral music? Any of our musically educated members know?

All 3 are from the second part of the 19th century, so recent compared to female writers.

You did ask for "orchestral" music in particular.

There's the obvious Clara Schumann as well. And Hildegard.

I will add another layer.

Once a woman has childs, it becomes the center of his universe and nothing, understand me, NOTHING exists that is more important than them.

That gives them a capital gain than the other genre has unfortunately not.

wat

There's the obvious Clara Schumann as well. And Hildegard.

And perhaps Fanny Mendelssohn. She didn't compose for orchestra, but perhaps she would have done in a more supportive society.

"But is there a gender gap in the music industry? Well yes. The facts are clear: 14% of the PRS for Music Foundation's (the Performing Rights Society of composers, songwriters and music publishers) members are female."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/feb/08/why-so-few-female-composers

I interviewed Penka Kouneva recently. She is the first woman to be the lead orchestrator on blockbuster films, like Pirates 3, Angels and Demons, Transformers 1-3, Elysium and Ender's Game. She is pushing to move into Composing for big studio films now. She has done some big games and some orchestral albums.

http://www.soundtracksandtrailermusic.com/2015/07/composer-penka-kouneva-changing-perceptions/

I interviewed Penka Kouneva recently. She is the first woman to be the lead orchestrator on blockbuster films, like Pirates 3, Angels and Demons, Transformers 1-3, Elysium and Ender's Game. She is pushing to move into Composing for big studio films now. She has done some big games and some orchestral albums.

http://www.soundtracksandtrailermusic.com/2015/07/composer-penka-kouneva-changing-perceptions/

She just released a lovely album. Quality person.

Once a woman has childs, it becomes the center of his universe and nothing, understand me, NOTHING exists that is more important than them.

Sometimes that is true and sometimes it isn't.

There are just as many bad and unfit mothers as there are fathers.

Sometimes that is true and sometimes it isn't.

There are just as many bad and unfit mothers as there are fathers.

You obviously know very little about women, indianagirl.

"But is there a gender gap in the music industry? Well yes. The facts are clear: 14% of the PRS for Music Foundation's (the Performing Rights Society of composers, songwriters and music publishers) members are female."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/feb/08/why-so-few-female-composers

No one's questioning the gender gap in the music industry. What's utter bull crap is that women are inherently designed to have a lower preference to leave a legacy behind...

Speaking of female composers, Jennifer Higdon is a good one!

Dora Pejačević is worth your time, as well as Louise Farrenc, Lili Boulanger (who would have been much more popular had she not died very young), Jennifer Higdon.

Little bit of Fanny Mendelssohn's chamber work:

Lili is good and Nadia I'm convinced would have been a revolutionary composer had she not decided she "had nothing useful to say." One of the biggest 20th century musical forces either way.

I remember there was a promising young talented female composer whom Elmer Bernstein took under his wing, but sadly committed suicide many years ago... can't remember her name.

I remember there was a promising young talented female composer whom Elmer Bernstein took under his wing, but sadly committed suicide many years ago... can't remember her name.

Linda Martinez.

Picture a bell-curve. In general when you look at statistical distributions men tend to be in the tails (extremes). Men are more likely to be total failures or meteoric successes. Women end up more around the middle.

One possible explanation for this is that testosterone is a risk-taking hormone. In order to end up in the extremes of a distribution you have to be willing to take more risk.

Men in general engage in riskier behaviour. Which means the failures and losers are men. But the few winners also happen to be men.

When you look at world famous composers you are looking at the top tail (extreme) of the music world, and so it's not entirely surprising that men are more common.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think there is a point to be made about composition being a primarily male field and thus men are seemingly overrepresented in curricula, but I disagree with the conclusion that there are no great female composers. In my opinion, Thea Musgrave (who was wrongly disparaged in the article) is absolutely a great composer (check out her Horn Concerto and "Turbulent Landscapes"), and cases could be made for Kaija Saariaho, Ruth Crawford Seeger, and Unsuk Chin, as well.

It's just a lazy, cobbled together hackjob. Read the author's other Spectator pieces--music's clearly not his speciality, nor is anything apparently.

To Gnome's list I'd also add a newcomer--Shiori Usui. I heard a work by her premiered at this year's proms and was impressed. It's titled Ophiocordyceps unilateralis s.l., after the zombie parasite.

It's just a lazy, cobbled together hackjob. Read the author's other Spectator pieces--music's clearly not his speciality, nor is anything apparently.

To Gnome's list I'd also add a newcomer--Shiori Usui. I heard a work by her premiered at this year's proms and was impressed. It's titled Ophiocordyceps unilateralis s.l., after the zombie parasite.

Wow... that is awesome. I'd love to see the score for that.

Jessica Curry!

If we're going back to film/video game composers, I have really high hopes for Heather McIntosh.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish Shirley walker would get more to do, she's the only women out there who doesn't compose like a girl.

Stefancos- who really enjoyed Walker/Carpenter's Escape From L.A.

SPACE: ABOVE AND BEYOND.

Weak theme.....

I wish Shirley walker would get more to do, she's the only women out there who doesn't compose like a girl.

Weak theme.....

Weak theme.....

Weak theme.....

Weak theme.....

Weak theme.....

SPACE: ABOVE AND BEYOND

Weak theme…..