One Thread to Rule Them All

Lurker

Lately this board has been inundated with multiple threads devoted to Lord of the Rings (much as it has the last 2 years whenever we get closer to the release of a new film, or DVD or extended DVD). Believe it or not there are some John Williams fans who have no interest in these movies. :sigh: And since John Williams is not associated with them in anyway, some people (not just me) feel that sometimes there are a few too many threads here about that particular subject.

Anyway, I've set up a new sticky thread in the "Other Topics" forum where all things LOTR's can discussed, especially the new film coming out. All future discussions of Lord of the Rings and Lord of the Rings related material should be posted in that thread. Please do not start any new threads as they will be closed. You can find the new thread here.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Neil

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean that LOTR threads will be locked-even ones that appear in Other Topics?

Yes.

We don't need 27 threads devoted to the same subject, especially when it's not related in anyway whatsoever to this message board. Perhaps if John Williams had scored LOTR's it would be a little different.

Neil

Can we have seperate thread about ROTK the film and ROTK the score?

People may wanna discuss the score without having to wade through large amount of spoiler filled Tolkien fanboy chatter.

Stefancos- hopefull.

Yes, that's a good suggestion.

That can be in the "General Discussion" area.

And that's it.

Neil

Does this mean that LOTR threads will be locked-even ones that appear in Other Topics?

Yes.

We don't need 27 threads devoted to the same subject, especially when it's not related in anyway whatsoever to this message board. Perhaps if John Williams had scored LOTR's it would be a little different.

Neil

So let me get this straight- LOTR fans are now in the same category as religious zealots? Do we get banned for a week if we use the word Aragorn in a post? All right- so limit LOTR in the General Discussion, but that's what Other Topics is for. Last time I checked, it wasn't limited to only what was related to JW or scored by him.

If you're really going to be consistent with that standard, you're going to have outlaw a whooole lot of stuff about extreme ironing, practical jokes etc.

nja- who thinks Neil is having trouble keeping his personal tastes out of MB management.

Yes.

Neil

So let me get this straight- LOTR fans are now in the same category as religious zealots? Do we get banned for a week if we use the word Aragorn in a post? All right- so limit LOTR in the General Discussion, but that's what Other Topics is for. Last time I checked, it wasn't limited to only what was related to JW or scored by him.

If you're really going to be consistent with that standard, you're going to have outlaw a whooole lot of stuff about extreme ironing, practical jokes etc.

nja- who thinks Neil is having trouble keeping his personal tastes out of MB management.

Honestly!

No, I don't mind this suggestion. Last year all LotR discussion was moved to the Other Topics, this year there are two seperate threads. Both measures are to prevent the boards from clogging, and frankly, I have no problem with this.

- Marc, doesn't see the problem. :|

I actually don't think so.

With FOTR and TTT there were instances were the entire page was littered with LOTR related threads.

Several people took notice, and thought this place had changed into a LOTR forum.

Neil is just trying to prevent that...in his own way.

Look, i'm as unhappy about it as you are, and I frankly think it sucks.

But i know Neil is not doing it because he's not interested in LOTR.

Stefancos- :|

I guess I just don't understand why Other Topics is off limits. Two threads- man do you realize how restrictive that is? We're going to be up to page who-knows-what in less than a week.

I don't want to go to a LOTR board- I like the people on this one.

i know Neil is not doing it because he's not interested in LOTR.

Correct. I've been planning this for awhile and even received a private message from someone who reads the board asking me to do something about the flood of posts that we currently have and the ones we are expecting in the coming days.

And limiting threads is not something new that I do here. I've been known to shut down identical threads before. It makes it easier on all of us.

I don't want to go to a LOTR board- I like the people on this one.

And we like you, too. Two threads is more than enough. One for the music and one for the film series. It's plenty, trust me. And it will be much easier keeping track of where things were said and loading pages.

I know this will work out just fine.

Neil - who remembers last year when KM ressurected a pile of LOTR's threads.

nja, I encourage you (and I don't do that often) to check the Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix thread. It worked wonders with the masses of fans raving about the book, and even I had room to bash the series, without forcing the subject.

It is possible that by January you will have changed your mind.

The same thing probably happens with the Harry Potter fan sites out there, they probably have tons of topics devoted to John Williams and his music - and then in comes in their version of IndySolo and he/she makes a dominant board because he/she can't stand the constant barrage of John Williams.

There are Indysolos everywhere

Hmpf, what's so bad about a few wtf are they talking about geek LOTR threads, they make for faster browsing through of the forum. :|

Morn - Singing the Nazi's songs with changed lyrics that include ode to indysolo and death to the LOTR topics

Morn - Singing the Nazi's songs with changed lyrics that include ode to indysolo and death to the LOTR topics

Umm...are you comparing Neil to Adolf Hitler.

If so then you should be ashamed of your fucking self!

Stefancos- more then ever convinced that morn first types, then hits reply and never...ever thinks.

So let me get this straight- LOTR fans are now in the same category as religious zealots? Do we get banned for a week if we use the word Aragorn in a post?

I don't recall saying don't discuss this. You are making a bigger deal out of this than is necessary. Relax.

and then in comes in their version of IndySolo and he/she makes a dominant board because he/she can't stand the constant barrage of John Williams.  

There are Indysolos everywhere

You haven't been here long enough to know what it was like last year.

Thanks to everyone for their support!

:roll:

Neil

GENERAL DISCUSSION

JOHN WILLIAMS, Film Music, Movies, Music...

thats the description of the board...if thats no longer true how about you take out the Film Music, Movies, Music bits? :)

:roll: So what's with the LOTR ban? I thought the "Other Topics" was the free world. I understand Main Board being JW, but Other Topics should be a free for all...

Why not a vote, Indy? I'm not a veteran poster or anything, but I have been frequenting more often and it would be much less fun to visit if people couldn't start their own topics. LOTR is not religion or politics...its a movie.

I don't think even those private clubs, like the kiwanis or the free masons have limits on what movies you can bring up in conversation.

This is very unusual.

Its not a ban, its a sticky thread for all the LOTR stuff, whats the problem with that? ONE MASSIVE THREAD TO RULE THEM ALL.

Believe it or not there are several of us here who are Bored of the Rings.

Give it a rest, you people. We've simply been requested to restrict all discussions about the new LotR film and score to two threads. So?

- Marc, still doesn't see the problem. :sigh:

wah, wah, wah,

bunch of snivily nosed crybabies, needing a lotr pacifier.

wah, wah, wah,

Hey crybabies, last summer I made the Official HP & the Order of the Phoenix thread so we HP geeks wouldn't burden the rest of you non fan, fanboys with something you don't like. Now its your turn. Last year this place became the LOTR message board, instead of the John Williams message board, and even 2 years ago, Ricard tried to limit the flood of LOTR threads as well,

Joe, Bored of the Rings,

wah, wah, wah.

time to change your diapers, crybabies

So what's with the LOTR ban?

There is no ban. Just moderating (which is Neil's Job)

I don't think even those private clubs, like the kiwanis or the free masons have limits on what movies you can bring up in conversation.

Neil is'nt limiting conversation. He's simply foreseeing what will happen when the movies are seen by all the fans on this site. I can assure you that this board will go ape shit with multiple reviews and arguments (all on different threads usually, as everybody wants the first and last word). Neil has simply made it clear that all the conversation should go into one huge thread so that the Other Topics page wont be filled up. That's fair (imo) :sigh:

:( :oops: ;):P :cry: :roll: 8O :sigh:

My reaction to your reactions is accurately depicted by a median between all of the above emotions.

Yeah just stop your whining about it already, even I dropped the issue after a few posts.

I only whined for one post. You whined for "a few." :P Heretic...

I don't really care, I'm just anti-establishment. But it is rather an interesting rule from a sociological viewpoint. However, it seems the masses are just fine with it, so I shall leave my comments in my mind where they can't rock anyone's boat...

Heaven forbid ;)

My reaction to your reactions is accurately depicted by a median between all of the above emotions.

In other words, you just chose to ignore the reasonable explanations.

I don't really care, I'm just anti-establishment.

:sigh: Reserve that sort of boast for the school yard, where it may be admired.

However, it seems the masses are just fine with it

The "Masses" as you call it, accept Neil's decision because they see the sense in it. Those who dont quite agree, have accepted and settled on the compromise of putting all LOTR posts in one thread. Why continue to be "rebellious" about that?. You have'nt lost the right to speak about LOTR. You've simply been asked to post it all in one LOTR thread. A moderator is in charge for moments like this. Somebody must call the shots. Their decision may annoy you. But having a final word is the gift of being moderator. It makes things easier. I'd love to see an "anti-establishment" board. I'm sure it would be in utter chaos within hours as nobody would respect the main authority on the board. Try and moderate that type of situation.

So i shall leave my comments in my mind where they can't rock anyone's boat...

So you'll be posting in the alloted thread then. Neil will send his thanks, i'm sure.

BURN THE WITCH!!! :baaa:

Sincerely, none of you seem to understand the idea of disagreeing strongly, but in the end, not really caring because one must respect other people's opinions.

Lighten up, everyone. Even though I disagree, I'm not aiming to offend.

May I now direct your attention to the following website?...

http://www.presenter.de/alf/

I think you understand what I am trying to say.

Thank you for your time...

BURN THE WITCH!!! :baaa:

Usually said by those who think they're some kind of important martyr.

Sincerely, none of you seem to understand the idea of disagreeing strongly

I do. I disagree with you. Because you whinge and then bow out of it when given a fair explanation about the reasons.

But in the end, not really caring because one must respect other people's opinions.

Exactly. "Respect" being the key word. Makes things easier does'nt it. :)

Lighten up, everyone.

Hmmmm...Who was it that started this thread in the first place?

wah, wah, wah,  

bunch of snivily nosed crybabies, needing a lotr pacifier.

wah, wah, wah,

Hey crybabies, last summer I made the Official HP & the Order of the Phoenix thread so we HP geeks wouldn't burden the rest of you non fan, fanboys with something you don't like.  Now its your turn.  Last year this place became the LOTR message board, instead of the John Williams message board, and even 2 years ago, Ricard tried to limit the flood of LOTR threads as well,

Joe, Bored of the Rings,

wah, wah, wah.

time to change your diapers, crybabies

It would almost be enough to make one worry . . .

if we didn't have posts like yours to demonstrate what maturity is all about. :roll:

Usually said by those who think they're some kind of important martyr.  

Or those who are lightheartedly mocking people, as friends often do.

PS- please don't turn a lowercase "b" into a capital "B" in any quotations of mine again. It is a gross misrepresentation of my actual statement. And please try not to misuse the smiley icon. It is only meant for true goodwill or happiness.

The cheetah is the fastest land animal

He's simply foreseeing what will happen when the movies are seen by all the fans on this site. I can assure you that this board will go ape shit with multiple reviews and arguments

So just avoid the threads with LOTR on their topic, mate. I don't see what the big deal is. Those threads typically I'm like wtf are these people talking about, I just glide through it. It's like vacation time. :baaa: I mean you know how LOTR fanboy Marian is, arguing over all the minor details. :)

Morn - Who likes a free forum

PS- please don't turn a lowercase "b" into a capital "B" in any quotations of mine again. It is a gross misrepresentation of my actual statement.

And you're asking other people to lighten up?.

And please try not to misuse the smiley icon. It is only meant for true goodwill or happiness.

Is it?. Is that a "rule" by any chance ?. I guess i must be "anti establishment" too then, Jeshopk. Because i take issue with that :baaa:

The cheetah is the fastest land animal

Well...fancy that. You learn something new every day dont ya.