• "The Punisher - Main Titles"
    • "The Hulk (Transformation)"
    • "Theme from X-Men"
    • "X-Men"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, piano versions of an orchestral arrangement are un-interesting.

For the layman to listen to maybe, but I like it because one can hear exactly what a composer does. If a piece is well written a piano reduction should sound good as well. If you want orchestrations, I suggest that you put all the submissions into giga-studio :P No joking, but I'm looking for a way to judge compositions as fairly as possible.

Only if the music in question is nothing but orchestral arrangements, this is true. (But I hope that's what Simon means, though I not sure.)

Only if the the piano arrangement of the orchestral "work" is not interesting.

That said, I don't like the piano versions on that French CD that came out recently.

It always fascinates me seeing Williams play the main theme on a piano so that Spielberg can hear what John composed.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Well, I believe that having a better sound/more realistic mock-up actually is a disadvantage here... :)

Then it wouldn't be fair either ;) ...just submit a piano score, I would say!

MSM: it's more important that I am happy with the stuff I'm doing and can use it for promotion, than it is to win here.. 8O So I'd rather do it as good as possible than do a piano score.

MSM: it's more important that I am happy with the stuff I'm doing and can use it for promotion, than it is to win here..

Of course Simon, and I think you're doing quite well regarding to the latter. If I would have the money I would know what to buy... :)

But my point is, and I'm sure you understand what I mean, in a contest like this it isn't exactly fair if the participants can't make use of the same means so we should find a way to make the sound quality as even as comparible as possible. Maybe you have any suggestions yourself?

Sorry don't really have any suggestion. A good composition will sound pretty good even with bad samples and/or bad MIDI programming. You can tell when it's a decent composition or not, and whether it will work well with a real orchestra. I did some mockups of Williams stuff where I wasn't allowed to do much in terms of MIDI programming - you can still hear how superior those compositions are.

And how much worse they sound in MIDI, hey? We aren't talking about Williamses here, quality of sampler would probably tip the balance.

I wonder what the other potential candidates' opinions are.

Anyhow I think we could start already if we would only have a new contest leader. Chris, Forge, please make up your minds!

Yeah if we start now, we might get the results in August!

LOL

Ok I?ll take up the batton of running another competition. Before I do, are we all in agreement that it should be a Harry Potter theme?

As far as the piano vs Orchestral argument goes, I don?t mind helping out like last time. People can submit either a midi file or a Sibelius file and I?ll apply my samples as best I can. That should level the playing field out a bit better.

Ok I?ll take up the batton of running another competition. Before I do, are we all in agreement that it should be a Harry Potter theme?

Thanks Forge!

As far as the piano vs Orchestral argument goes, I don?t mind helping out like last time. People can submit either a midi file or a Sibelius file and I?ll apply my samples as best I can. That should level the playing field out a bit better.

Ok...I'm reconciled to it.