About Williams in NYC

jgaa

Hello!

Well, as the news said that master Williams is not coming to Mexico, then I will have to go to see him in NYC. But I have a problem:

I bought my tickets for that event since past august, but but I have not even received anything. I only want to know if I will not have any problems at the time of pick up my tickets in the Lincoln Center's box office.

Thanx!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

About the concert Williams is conducting in NYC...is it a true Williams concert where he features himself or is he just acting as a basic guest conductor and just conducts a classical reportior of choice?

The program is now up at the NY Philharmonic website. The only thing on it I've never heard in concert before is the Catch Me If You Can suite, which I am looking forward to. Another interesting thing to note: the caption above says that he will be playing Star Wars and Angela's Ashes, both of which aren't on the program, as well as something about a tribute to the films of Steven Spielberg.

As for what's there, I like the fact that he's not living up to that pgeon-holed image of "the guy who did Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Jaws." It's a very well rounded few hours of music I think, with a little bit of everything. So for all the people in attendance who aren't die-hard fans can be exposed to a lot of really good music they knew very little about, rather than just Star Wars, which he usually plays at most concerts. Nevertheless, my wish of hearing Superman and Jurassic Park will apparently go unfulfilled yet again. I suppose there's always hope for the encores though. At any rate, I can't wait for the concert!

Ted

I've seen him 5 times, and yet to hear Star Wars or Jaws...i did hear the raiders march once...but thats whats good about him, he can always change it up because he has composed so much!

But I wish he would really pulnge into his library, bringing pieces from more of his scores. He only rearely introduces some of his older less popular stuff, like Jane Eyre an The Cowboys.

Show off.

I've only been to one JW concert, at Tanglewood on Sunday Aug. 4th (or 3rd) 2002. It was the one with YoYo Ma- The Cello Concerto, Rosewood & Pickin' and Adventures on Earth. I must, say I would've liked my first JW concert to be the one from the night before, with all the film music. Although I'm a bit ashamed to say this, I didn't enjoy anything with Ma, except for a bit of Pickin'. Adventures on Earth was amazing though.

I couldn't go to the saturday night one because I didn't have a ride, and the bus schedule didn't work out, so I'd have had to stay the night there.

In retrospect, I probably would've taken the all nighter that goes around, through Albany and arrives in New York at 6:00 AM. Live and learn, I guess.

But I did get my picture taken with YoYo Ma- I payed a guy 20 bucks if he'd take a polaroid of us, then Ma signed it. He also signed my program- he was a bit impressed that I'd come from Israel to Western Mass. for a concert.

That was a good summer...wasn't that John Williams 70th Birthday Concert (summer edition)? I went to one earlier in the summer @ tanglewood that year when he was with the Pops...it was half John Williams and have James Taylor...so it was a very interesting concert...

Show off.

I've only been to one JW concert, at Tanglewood on Sunday Aug. 4th (or 3rd) 2002. It was the one with YoYo Ma- The Cello Concerto, Rosewood & Pickin' and Adventures on Earth. I must, say I would've liked my first JW concert to be the one from the night before, with all the film music. Although I'm a bit ashamed to say this, I didn't enjoy anything with Ma, except for a bit of Pickin'. Adventures on Earth was amazing though.

I couldn't go to the saturday night one because I didn't have a ride, and the bus schedule didn't work out, so I'd have had to stay the night there.  

In retrospect, I probably would've taken the all nighter that goes around, through Albany and arrives in New York at 6:00 AM. Live and learn, I guess.

But I did get my picture taken with YoYo Ma- I payed a guy 20 bucks if he'd take a polaroid of us, then Ma signed it. He also signed my program- he was a bit impressed that I'd come from Israel to Western Mass. for a concert.

Well, the concert you atended is kind of my Williams dream concert -- only missing an Angela's Ashes suite in there.

The Cello Concerto is my favourite Williams work, second only to ET.

At least you got to see him that summer! I was supposed to go to that August 4th concert as well (for a summer music festival - "band camp" - trip), but it fell through at the last minute... I was really bummed! My parents had even gotten tickets to go with two of their friends because I was going. Arggg!!! I'm going to try to go to one of the concerts in Boston in May, if I can... I've never seen him in concert before!

Some friend's of mine decided to take a road trip to Tanglewood. They went from Orlando to Tangelwood in 13 days (they took a long way around obviously). Trouble was, they were too quick. They got there 2 days early. But they had a great time. They just walked around, as it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.

My dream summer is to rent a house there for a few weeks and to go to all the concerts. There must be some people who do that.

My dream summer is to rent a house there for a  few weeks and to go to all the concerts. There must be some people who do that.

Williams, the man himself, for example... I think he was living there while writting Schindler's List.

Well, the concert you atended is kind of my Williams dream concert -- only missing an Angela's Ashes suite in there.  

Well, I must admit I was too star struck to really listen to the music. I was like "There's John Williams. My idol. In the flesh. He's actualy breathing the same air. I could touch him. If I were 72 rows closer, and didn't mind being thought of a demented pervert , and didn't mind being thrown out, I could go on stage and hug him! It's him. Schindler's List is in the room. Jurrasic Park is in the room. Indiana Jones is in the room. Star Wars is in the room. It's him. It's really him. John Williams. My idol....." Anyway, you get the picture.

Morlock- Who still can't believe it was him. John Williams. My idol. In the same vicinity..... :eek:

Show off.

How 'bout this one:

I went to the John Williams 70th Birthday concert in Los Angeles with Yo-Yo Ma. Just two weeks after the premiere of "Call to the Champions". And of course, the first concert after his birthday.

The program was this:

All Williams music.

• For Seiji!
  • Concerto for Cello and Orchestra
    Mr. Ma
    Intermission
  • Two Pieces from Angela's Ashes
    Theme - Angela's Prayer
  • Elegy for Cello and Orchestra
  • Two Pieces from "Three Pieces for Solo Cello"
    Rosewood - Pickin'
    Mr. Ma
  • Celebration 2000
    Encore:
    "Flying" from E.T.
      :eek: Williams The Imperial March
      Skywalker Symphony Orchestra
      John Williams

Yes, Hector, that was quiet cool. But i would do a few changes in order to be perfect...

For Seiji (or Tributes, as it is called now) is a good opener, and the Cello concerto is jsut perfect. As for the second part, I would like to have the complete suite to Angela's Ashes, with narration. The Elegy is nice, but I would prefer to have the Three Pieces for Solo Cello complete, instead of only two excerpts. Even better, maybe is he replaced this two pieces (Elegy and Three pieces) by the beuatifull TreeSong, for Violin and Orchestra. Yes, that would be great.

And as much as I like Celebration 2000 (or waht one likes to call it...), i think the great finale should be Adventures on Earth.

If he did that program, I woulnd't request an encore. That would be just perfect for me...

Oh, so that's what Tributes was on the Chicago concerts, huh?

I did read the reviews, but I guess I missed that somehow.

I also would replace Elegy which is way overrated in this community. Heartwood is superior.