Something Painful

Lurker

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get a 30 second preview just by clicking on the song at no charge. Do you really think I'd be so unscrupulous as to make you pay to hear something to understand my post? :roll:

More importantly, do you actually think I'd pay for this garbaage?

Neil - who thinks Steef doesn't understand how the store works.

Do you really think I'd be so unscrupulous as to make you pay to hear something to understand my post? :roll:

I don't just *think*, I *know*. To listen to those 30 seconds, I need iTunes. To use iTunes, I need Windows or MacOS. To use either, I'd have to buy a license for them.

Marian - who still doesn't know what this is all about. :nono:

Do you really think I'd be so unscrupulous as to make you pay to hear something to understand my post? :roll:

I don't just *think*, I *know*. To listen to those 30 seconds, I need iTunes. To use iTunes, I need Windows or MacOS. To use either, I'd have to buy a license for them.

Marian - who still doesn't know what this is all about. :nono:

You mean you don't have access to a Wintel or Mac machine? Most of my friends who use Linux are able to dual boot into Windows.

nja- who is thinks Marian is the first person he has met who is in this predicament.

You mean you don't have access to a Wintel or Mac machine? Most of my friends who use Linux are able to dual boot into Windows.

Oh, I could boot Windows, but I don't even have any drivers installed there because I never use it. And though my secondary computer is still mostly running Windows (because I was too lazy to properly configure the installed Linux there yet), it's out of HD space so I can't install iTunes there either.

And I don't have anything against Macs, I just don't have one. Would be nice (they can run Linux as well anyway, and OS X is Unix-based and can directly run Linux apps)...but they're too expensive.

Marian - who has (nearly) no Windows,

Marian - who needs no Windows. :(

Neil tricked me into installing Itunes,which doesn`t play better or worse than Window Media Player9.but the .aiff files ONLY play on itunes,so I keep it as a secondary player.Also,it never shuts down completely once opened,leaving weird running processes on my CPU,disabling the hibernate function.

That link isn`t working well either.

K.M.Sure it can`t be as painful as the synth hip-hop arrangement of the Force theme he heard at the shopping center today

Neil tricked me into installing Itunes,which doesn`t play better or worse than Window Media Player9.but the .aiff files ONLY play on itunes,so I keep it as a secondary player.Also,it never shuts down completely once opened,leaving weird running processes on my CPU,disabling the hibernate function.

Do you have the most recent version of iTunes (4.2). I've heard tell some initial problems were remedied.

K.M.Sure it can`t be as painful as the synth hip-hop arrangement of the Force theme he heard at the shopping center today

Some of that Muzak stuff is downright ungodly.

I like my Musicmatch

You really should check out iTunes. There's no ads or registration or limits on how many CD's you can burn etc.

Most of all, with almost half a mil songs, the iTunes store really rocks.

And no I haven't paid nja to say any of that stuff. And I didn't trick KM into getting iTunes. I wanted to share music with him, and had it encoded as an AAC. And AAC's at 128 kbps sound better than mp3's at 128 kbps and KM is on a dial-up which precludes sending out large files.

Neil - iTunes user

And I didn't trick KM into getting iTunes.  

. . .

Stefancos- who has Itunes and does not see what the fuss is about.

For criping out loud people it's iTunes not ITunes. itunes. For criping out loud. banghead

Bah, nowhere as bad as some of the tracks on the ungodly product called "Monster Hits" (Jaws, Gremlins, JP, totally mutilated), made in Steef's very hometown.

-Chris, who sometimes listens to it for fun, especially the nice Lost world theme, directly ripped from the OST and just overlayed with some synths)

Bah, nowhere as bad as some of the tracks on the ungodly product  called "Monster Hits" (Jaws, Gremlins, JP, totally mutilated), made in Steef's very hometown.

:oops:

-Chris, who sometimes listens to it for fun, especially the nice Lost world theme, directly ripped from the OST and just overlayed with some synths)

Stefancos- :(

I would never buy this album in its entirety, but I could justify paying .99 for a less heard JW main theme that I was more than happy to grab (How to Steal A Million).

A decent riff that?s worth checking out. For anyone who might pick this up, at 1:34 in the track, there?s a section that bears remarkable resemblance to part of the Raiders March almost 15 years before IJ ever saw the big screen. Fascinating.

B000002L1E.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

These are from a compilation album by Perlman on violin with JW conducting. Two tracks are based on Williams scores- Far and Away and Sabrina.

The Far and Away arrangement is also included in the Williams compilation John Williams - Greatest Hits 1969 - 1999 (identical track). If you don?t own the compilation, however, I would reccomend buying the arrangement. Far more than a rerecording of the score with violin added, the whole piece is actually rearranged and structurally reworked (by the composer of course).

The same is true with the Sabrina arrangement which to my knowledge does not appear on any other album or compilation. Not only is the piece beautifully adapted, but Perlman?s masterful playing gives it a stand-alone quality that IMO is not present in any individual cue from the OST recording.

So purists may shun these as imitations of their originals, but who knows, they may represent some of JW?s most remembered work. Worth checking out anyway.

B0000029W9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not downloading this either, I mean you want me to make the effort to download and put another censored program on the PC just to understand this post?

I'm not downloading this either, I mean you want me to make the effort to download and put another censored program on the PC just to understand this post?

Well for those of us with iTunes (the best music program I've ever used) we'll get to sample some music. If you don't want to, I can't help you. Nor will I force you.

Neil

I would never buy this album in its entirety, but I could justify paying .99 for a less heard JW main theme that I was more than happy to grab (How to Steal A Million).  

A decent riff that?s worth checking out. For anyone who might pick this up, at 1:34 in the track, there?s a section that bears remarkable resemblance to part of the Raiders March almost 15 years before IJ ever saw the big screen. Fascinating.

B000002L1E.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I might buy the album just for the cover art. :D

- Alan, who puts Roman Holiday and My Fair Lady among his top 15 movies of all time