The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

According to Wikipedia (I know...), MG will be scoring XMas, the next film by Jonathan Levine. Giacchino previously scored his film 50/50.

Wikipedia also says Giacchino is scoring Joy, the new David O Russel film, but there is zero reason to believe that's true.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I previously mentioned seeing Joy listed, but I wasn't going to mention anything about Xmas until it was confirmed.

I hope he at least scores Joy, just because I think it could be an interesting drama score from him. He hasn't said anything about it in any interviews about what he's doing next, but then again, it might not be officially confirmed yet and he can't say. I could see him taking a break for a while, though.

He just said on that wqxr interview over memorial day weekend that he's taking the rest of the year off.

But maybe he could have agreed to do XMas after that was recorded.

*shrug* maybe he got divorced. Not really any of our business.

Did you not read my Star Trek Nemesis review thread?! Did you not read what I said about John Williams and his personal life?! Did you not see the John Williams interview where John said, "Blume nailed it!" ?!?

So because Michael Giacchino got a divorce and starting dating a member of his team, the music he's written since LOST is different than it would have been had he stayed married? Is that what you're trying to say?

According to Wikipedia (I know...), MG will be scoring XMas, the next film by Jonathan Levine. Giacchino previously scored his film 50/50.

Wikipedia also says Giacchino is scoring Joy, the new David O Russel film, but there is zero reason to believe that's true.

Couldnt care less....what does giacchino scoring a levine film serve me if no CD release is done? Meh!

I think the rest of this interview was kind of glossed over with all the "girlfriend" stuff.... but I just read the interview again and there's some good stuff in there!

-He talks about Star Trek 3 a bit. He indicates that the team is going through a crazy schedule crunch so haven't approached him about scoring yet, on top of him being too busy with the 3 films back to back to back to think about it anyway. It's hard to gauge from his words if he'd be interested in doing Star Trek 3 or not. I think he probably will.

-He reconfirms he has nothing on his docket right now, no scores coming up soon for him. Of course this could have been done before he agreed to do XMas, but I'm more willing to bet that was just another random wikipedia edit with no basis in reality like Joy.

-He says he wrote an 18 minute suite for Jurassic World before writing any film cues, and then did the film cues after - without a traditional spotting session, which is kinda odd! It worked out well though; The film is perfectly spotted.

Anyways, I'd guess since the main theme doesn't appear in the Suite on the OST, that there's a 6 minute concert arrangement of the main theme out there that wasn't included on the OST. Should have been included instead of those source cues!

Isn't it funny that two of Giacchino's new scores are this year's critically panned biggest flops (so far) and the other two are big hits and/or critcally acclaimed?

Bottom line is, he'll probably get hired again. ;)

Karol

• 1 month later...

New short interview with Mr. Giacchino

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-mn-conversation-michael-giacchino-inside-out-20150719-story.html

First I've heard about him writing suites for Up, Inside Out, and Tomorrowland ahead of time... I wonder if they were recorded with the orchestra

I think he writes and records them in small bits, and the mixes them all and arranges at his will. And then in the film they use the small bits and mix and rearrange them to fit the end credits.

The JW theme suite bit could well be "The park is closed" It segues into the suite and its the only missing theme... and it also has a rendition of the Williams theme.

Its almost 15 min together. He just overestimated it as 18 minutes...

Would be great to have a 5 minute development of his theme though :)

Oh, both Jurassic World and Tomorrowland are back in stock at amazon. com and other sites.

We already figured out what the 18 minute Jurassic World Suite was a while back. It's the 12 minutes on the album + a 6 minute suite of his main theme (which he oddly didn't include on the album)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think it's funny seeing some of the first posts in this thread dating back to 2003, and lot of people were saying things like "who is this" and "he's just a video game composer", "I don't play video games so I don't care", and now he is a well-respected film composer. Not everyone likes Giacchino's style, some compare him to John Williams, others get so angry that people even make the comparison they start to post why they hate his music and that he is overrated. To each his own. I personally love his music, from his Medal of Honor Scores, to the tv show Lost, and movies Up, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, John Carter, Super 8, Tomorrowland, Jupiter Ascending, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, and Jurassic World. Those are some of my favorite scores. He is definitely becoming one of my favorite composers, can't wait for the new Star Trek. But first, is the new Star Wars! and another John Williams score!

I think it's funny seeing some of the first posts in this thread dating back to 2003, and lot of people were saying things like "who is this" and "he's just a video game composer", "I don't play video games so I don't care", and now he is a well-respected film composer. Not everyone likes Giacchino's style, some compare him to John Williams, others get so angry that people even make the comparison they start to post why they hate his music and that he is overrated. To each his own. I personally love his music, from his Medal of Honor Scores, to the tv show Lost, and movies Up, Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness, John Carter, Super 8, Tomorrowland, Jupiter Ascending, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, and Jurassic World. Those are some of my favorite scores. He is definitely becoming one of my favorite composers, can't wait for the new Star Trek. But first, is the new Star Wars! and another John Williams score!

Most overrated composer working today!

Giacchino or Williams? Serious or joking?

He's definitely the most overrated in the soundtrack community but in the wider film community, I feel like there are composers who get praise for far more egregious works. Ramin Dwjamadi is the first that comes to mind.

Completely agree. He's a wonderful Composer, and a very nice guy (met him a few times and partied with his delightful sister, who is great to get drunk with). But most importantly with Giacchino is that he knows how to have fun with his scores. They are all very fun to listen to (even his highly emotional and serious action material). He's one of the very few who's music exudes his personality in an obvious and truthful way.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though it was already a given:

Michael Giacchino Returning to Score 'The Incredibles 2'

Giacchino has some big projects lined up for the future. I'm excited to see what other projects join this list!

2016 - Star Trek Beyond, The Book of Henry (unconfirmed)

2017 - War of the Planet of the Apes

2018 - Jurassic World 2 (unconfirmed)

2019 - The Incredibles 2

There's no reason to assume Michael Giacchino would score The Book Of Henry. Trevorrow has used a different composer on every film he's done so far.

Why would you give away Zimmer's hardest earned title? It's probably the most work he's done in the film score Universe!

There's no reason to assume Michael Giacchino would score The Book Of Henry. Trevorrow has used a different composer on every film he's done so far.

That was just my guess. Trevorrow heaped a lot of praise on Giacchino during the press tours for JW, and Giacchino described them as great friends. Now that Trevorrow has a decent budget, why wouldn't he want to work with Giacchino again?

Trevorrow's previous films were low-budget/independent, so I figured he had different composers for money reasons.

To update the list:

Confirmed:

2016 - Star Trek Beyond, Zootopia

2017 - War for the Planet of the Apes

2019 - The Incredibles 2

Possible:

2016 - The Book of Henry

2018 - Jurassic World 2

What other films could Giacchino potentially score in the next few years? Anything in 2018 other than Jurassic World 2? Maybe Matt Reeves will get to do The Invisible Woman after War; I think it would be neat to hear Giacchino's take on a drama/thriller.

He could potentially score anything his frequent collaborators (JJ Abrams, Matt Reeves, Brad Bird, Pete Docter, Jonathan Levine) direct in that 4 year span (You know JJ will have another film out by 2019)

He could potentially score any Disney or Pixar movies that don't have composers attached yet

He could potentially score any big Hollywood movie where they are looking for a more classic sound and not an RCP sound.

I'd say he's in fairly high demand, and will be in even more if he wins an Oscar for Inside Out (which isn't gonna happen, but stranger things have happened)