The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A nice balance of films coming up for him then; Animation, Drama, Space Opera, and Dystopian Sci-Fi.

I guess this also pretty much confirms who's name is in the box behind the 'In Case of Emergency, Break Glass' room over at Disney.

Huh?  What does that have to do with him scoring The Book Of Henry?

Desplat is scoring Gareth Edwards' Rogue One; Williams will probably score Rian Johnson's Episode 8 and Trevorrow's Episode 9.... what do you think Giacchino is going to score, Lord and Miller's Han Solo movie?  Or the Boba Fett film Josh Trank left?

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Huh?  What does that have to do with him scoring The Book Of Henry?

Nothing, I was responding to leeallen01's second sentence.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Desplat is scoring Gareth Edwards' Rogue One; Williams will probably score Rian Johnson's Episode 8 and Trevorrow's Episode 9.... what do you think Giacchino is going to score, Lord and Miller's Han Solo movie?  Or the Boba Fett film Josh Trank left?

Possibly. I just can't imagine him not scoring one of these spin-offs.

Gotcha.  It does seem like he's the most likely candidate for Episode 8 if Williams doesn't want to do it, right?

• 2 weeks later...

All four of Giacchino's 2015 scores had FYCs that were identical to the OST (or even shorter than the OST)

Hopefully a Cast & Crew promo exists for Inside Out.  I haven't been following them lately, so I have no idea if Monsters University or The Good Dinosaur got Cast & Crew CDs

• 2 weeks later...

So i was listening to Jurassic World today.... and it dawned on me how much "Williamsy americana" this segment is. I dont know if he made it consciously, but really, could be from Lincoln, The patriot, unfinished journey, Saving private ryan or whatever. It's no Jurassic park like, so maybe it was just a coincidence...

Pavane for a dead apatosaurus 0:56-1:32.

what do you think?

16 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

So i was listening to Jurassic World today.... and it dawned on me how much "Williamsy americana" this segment is. I dont know if he made it consciously, but really, could be from Lincoln, The patriot, unfinished journey, Saving private ryan or whatever. It's no Jurassic park like, so maybe it was just a coincidence...

Pavane for a dead apatosaurus 0:56-1:32.

what do you think?

He like totally ripped off Lincoln!

Kidding, kidding. Yeah the horn sound is very Williams-y.

• 1 month later...

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with his track titles. They provide entertainment for him and his music crew, some are genuinely funny, and it beats having major spoilers or boringly descriptive track titles like 'The Destruction of Hometree.' Any one who has a serious problem with it should think themselves lucky that they have such a serene life that they are annoyed by something as small as a harmless pun.

• 2 weeks later...
On February 16, 2016 at 3:19 AM, Stefancos said:

No, not at all.

Giacchina was asked to succeed Williams for Jurassic World and it was kinda a failure.

If Kathleen Kennedy really knows her stuff she will look elsewhere 

Yeah, the fourth highest grossing film worldwide, such a failure!

So much like 2015 when Giacchino had 4 films, Michael now has 4 films for 2016 as well

2015-02-06 Jupiter Ascending

2015-05-22 Tomorrowland

2015-06-12 Jurassic World

2015-06-19 Inside Out

2016-03-04 Zootopia

2016-??-?? Book of Henry

2016-07-22 Star Trek Beyond

2016-11-04 Doctor Strange

At least they are more spread out this year than the cluster of films we got last summer.  Odd there's still no word on when Book of Henry is releasing, especially considering the score is already recorded and Trevorrow must be moving on to Episode 9 pre-production before the end of the year.

What will 2017 and beyond bring?  He's only confirmed for two:

2017-07-14 War For The Planet of the Apes

2019-06-21 The Incredibles 2

Wikipedia says he's scoring these two films, but it's probably just fan hope and not based in any reality

2017-02-10 The LEGO Batman Movie

2017-06-16 Cars 3

I quickly browsed through other 2017-2019 movies to look for interesting opportunities for him

2017-03-24 Power Rangers

2017-03-31 Ghost In The Shell

2017-06-30 Uncharted

2017-07-07 Spider-man Homecoming

2017-07-28 Jumanji

2017-09-08 It

2017-11-03 Thor Ragnarok

2017-12-15 Star Wars Episode VIII ;)

2018-03-02 The Predator

2018-05-04 The Avengers 3

2018-05-25 Star Wars Anthology: Han Solo

2018-06-22 Jurassic World 2

2019-03-08 Captain Marvel

2019-05-03 The Avengers 4

2019-07-19 Indiana Jones 5 ;)

2019-??-?? Star Wars Episode IX ;)

I was gonna say Jurassic World 2 would seem pretty likely, but the director has done all of his movies with Fernando Velazquez, so he'll probably get that gig.

Hopefully the Grim Reaper is the only thing that can stand in the way of Williams continuing Indy and the Star Wars saga.....probably wouldn't lose (that much) sleep over a Gia Indy and no matter what happens I suppose we can safely say Episode IX is going to come down to Williams or Giacchino. I could see him getting the Han Solo movie, totally.

I'm disappointed Giacchino is scoring Doctor Strange, rather than Christopher Young. At least Giacchino will give this some flair and a decent theme.

Aye, decent themes are hard to come by these days.

• 3 months later...

So, this might be a silly question. But I always wonder, what is the true main theme of The Incredibles.

Is it this? from 8 seconds to 47 seconds

or this? from 47 seconds to 1 minute 10 seconds

These 2 motifs share the first few notes and some other ones and tend to sound a bit similar, but which one is the poseur and which is the true main theme?

Or are the 2 together the main theme and just the Part A and Part B of the same theme?

• 1 month later...