The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

If you're going to go ahead with a flawed notion to begin with, what answer would you expect? Maybe there are people who believe that, but who's to say they can't think that?

And who's Ishtar Legos anyway?

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, El Jefe said:

I'll bet money that's the end credits suite. The theme is being played in full in bombastic fashion with dense orchestration and there are no scenes on the screen being scored. 

But nicely done. Gia showing his Williams stripes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2010 at 2:30 PM, fommes said:

Michael Giacchino fans might want to check this page out:

Propulsive Music: The Music of Peter Boyer

I cannot believe our luck here, but it contains the entire cue "Can You Shoot Me Now?" from Mission: Impossible 3.

Can't find it anywhere... Please, can anyone send (or upload here?) me this track? Need it...

• 1 month later...

Michael is scoring Taika Waititi's Jojo Rabbit

Image result for jojo rabbit poster

Source: Michael Giacchino Set To Compose The Score For Taika Waititi’s ‘Jojo Rabbit’ (EXCLUSIVE)

opening October 18 2019

He's also scoring Scoob!, an animated move coming May 2020 that kicks off the new Hanna Barbara cinematic universe

Image result for scoob poster

Source: Michael Giacchino (‘The Incredibles’, ‘Rogue One: A Star Wars Story’) is set to compose the score for Warner Bros’ ‘SCOOBY DOO’ film. (EXCLUSIVE)

No trailers yet for either feature.

Plus, he'll presumably score Pete Docter's Soul for Pixar, opening June 19 2020

All that plus we should be getting info about the Spider-man Far From Home OST any time now!

I dunno I mean, Jojo Rabbit is set during WWII, but it's not a war movie in the sense that it's not about soldiers and battles and missions.  Probably has no reason to sound anything like Medal of Honor

UPDATE: Giacchino confirmed on Twitter he's not actually scoring Scoob :(

He'll still probably score Soul tho, I'd reckon.

I wonder if he'll have a third film for 2019 after Spider-man 2 and Jojo?  He hasn't had a year with less than 3 scores since 2014.  Of course he is directing an animated Star Trek short so who knows what kind of time that's taking up.

At the Dublin Giacchino concert, he had a little technical issue towards the end so decided to have a random QandA session. Someone asked him if he was scoring The Batman. He didn't deny it and was actually quite telling in his nervous response. 

Finally, after over a year since its world premiere in Washington, DC on May of 2018, Jurassic World In Concert, gets its second booking.

Greely, CO on October 18, 2019

https://greeleyphil.org/event/jurassic-world-in-concert-with-the-gpo/

• 1 month later...
19 hours ago, Omen II said:

Bantz innit.

Gia was trying to make a joke about his favorite Bond, right? I mean, how does anyone not know Bond?

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Wait, Giacchino knows how to conduct? Then why keep that Ludwig Wicki Wacky guy around? Do his arms get tired too quickly?

Not all composers need to conduct their work, and Giacchino seems to have built strong relationships with his conductors - Tim Simonec, Ludwig Wicki etc. who probably know what he wants. I admire that trust between them.

4 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

Why would it be so important for him to sit in the booth?

To make sure it sounds the way he intends it to?

5 minutes ago, Fal J. M. Skywalker said:

To make sure it sounds the way he intends it to?

Unlike Herrmann, Rózsa, Goldsmith, or Williams, who didn't have to make sure it sounds the way they intended, and jolly conducted? Legit reason.

I think that first for a long time he couldn't, and then became affluent enough to afford outsourcing it. He is not exactly a perfectionist. In fact, he is very lazy.

I saw him conduct at Ubeda for the first time...and he didn't use a batton, I thought that he knows the basics learnt at the music school, but is not really trained for it, so he doesn't conduct his scores. 

5 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

Unlike Herrmann, Rózsa, Goldsmith, or Williams, who didn't have to make sure it sounds the way they intended, and jolly conducted? Legit reason.

I think that first for a long time he couldn't, and then became affluent enough to afford outsourcing it. He is not exactly a perfectionist. In fact, he is very lazy.

What's your problem? Different composers work the way that suits them. Giacchino prefers to oversee the recordings in the booth and it works for him. That's not laziness, and the comparison to the older composers is bizarre. Jeez.

32 minutes ago, Arpy said:

What's your problem? Different composers work the way that suits them. Giacchino prefers to oversee the recordings in the booth and it works for him. That's not laziness, and the comparison to the older composers is bizarre. Jeez.

It's not like every great composer of yore conducted their work, too. Some composers prefer to be in the booth where they can oversee and monitor the music as heard in mix, which is not gonna be the same as the room sound. It can be as much a philosophical reason as a question of technical ability.

Wait did I just defend Giacchino? 

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if the studio wanted Giacchino all along to score Discovery. A lot of Russo's music for the series is evocative of Giacchino's for his Trek films.

There's a rumour doing the rounds ATM that Michael Giacchino will be the composer of Godzilla Vs Kong. Don't know where that came from, but while I think he could do it well enough, it would be a pity to pass up Bear McCreary since he did some great work blending original material with classic themes in KOTM.

I will go the concert of Michael Giacchino vs David Arnold this Friday in the Royal Albert Hall. Is someone from this forum going too? 

The new Empire Magazine podcast is an interview with Giacchino and David Arnold ahead of their RAH concert

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/empire-podcast-michael-giacchino-david-arnold-star-trek-sherlock/