The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

It seems Andrea Datzam (and Curtis Green) composed the music for Dug Days, a Spin off of Pixar's Up in disney +.

It uses some Giacchino's themes-motifs and sounds like an extension to the orininal score.

Here is the tracklist.

1. Opening (Spirit of Adventure) (0:53)
2. Dug’s Theme (Full Version) (0:50)
3. Theme for Carl and Dug (1:28)
4. Up at the Crack of Dog (0:30)
5. Are You There, Dog? It’s Me, Carl (1:33)
6. Squirrel, Interrupted (1:27)
7. Tilt-A-Squirrel (2:40)
8. Squirrel’s Worst Peanut Butter (0:36)
9. Around the Squirrel in 80 Dugs (0:46)
10. For Whom the Smell Tolls (2:03)
11. All Smell Breaks Loose (0:32)
12. The Good, the Bad and the Dug-ly (2:31)
13. All’s Smell That Ends Smell (0:23)
14. Dug Actually (0:39)
15. This Is Your Brain on Dug (2:52)
16. My Pup Runneth Over/The Dog of War (3:04)
17. The Dogfather, Part II (1:07)
18. The Star-Spangled Barker (0:41)
19. Stand-Dug Comedian (0:31)
20. Firework from Home (1:02)
21. Here Come the Fireworks (0:38)
22. Extreme Russell-ing (1:38)
23. The Science of Adventure (2:27)
24. Golden Retriever Privilege (2:55)
25. Closing Rebarks (Dug’s Theme) (0:31)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A third booking of the 'Jurassic World' LTP concert for this December in France.

Orchestre Symphonique Européen conducted by Pierre-Yves Gronier.  December 19, 2021

https://www.zenithdelille.com/programmation/jurassic-world-en-cine-concert/

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an official release of the music of "Toy Story Land that Time forgot"?

They made one from Toy Story of Terror, and I just noticed I dont have the other one... and can't find anything about it...

On 28/01/2021 at 10:28 PM, Jay said:

Honestly he did so much great work on LOST, the 10 tracks I'd recommend are literally all from there

1. Hollywood and Vines from LOST Season 1
  2. Locke'd Out Again from LOST Season 1
  3. Parting Words from LOST Season 1
  4. The Constant from LOST Season 4
  5. There's No Place Like Home from LOST Season 4
  6. The Tangled Web from LOST Season 5
  7. Down The Hobbit Hole from LOST Season 6
  8. The Hole Shabang from LOST Season 6
  9. Aloha from LOST Season 6
  10. Moving On from LOST Season 6

As I've said earlier, the LOST music doesn't resonate much with me. Of the tracks listed here, the most interesting one might be Parting Words. Or maybe not.

Upcoming: Jurassic Shark reviews Jay's list of 10 recommended MG film tracks.

On 28/01/2021 at 10:28 PM, Jay said:

After that if you want a more varied sampler from everything else, try these 10

1. Taking Out The Railgun from Medal of Honor
  2. The Incredits from The Incredibles
  3. End Creditouilles from Ratatouille
  4. Enterprising Young Men from Star Trek
  5. Married Life from Up
  6. Letting Go from Super 8
  7. London Calling from Star Trek Into Darkness
  8. Mood India from Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol
  9. What An Eiffel! from Tomorrowland
  10. Yorktown Theme from Star Trek Beyond

It's not the ride music, because i saw a youtube video and doesnt match. The ride sounds like pastiche.

The official music sound like reorchestration of the end credits, which is nice, two bonus tracks to add to the sessions hehe.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I just wanted to mention that in recent discussion, it was said Giacchino had not ever created a widespread memorable theme in his life. 

And i say, if none other applies (debatable), there is one: the Marvel fanfare. 

Everytime i watch a marvel product with it, i cannot get the fanfare out of my head, it is very catchy. 

Tbh, I am kinda surprised we haven't gotten an official release of the Jurassic World complete score, yet.

I'm not. I'd buy complete versions of both JW scores in a heartbeat but it strikes me that they're far too new for demand to be there for expansions.

Given that we also still don't have an expansion of JPIII, I fear that post-Williams Jurassic doesn't have much profile.

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2022 at 10:17 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

I just wanted to mention that in recent discussion, it was said Giacchino had not ever created a widespread memorable theme in his life. 

And i say, if none other applies (debatable), there is one: the Marvel fanfare. 

Everytime i watch a marvel product with it, i cannot get the fanfare out of my head, it is very catchy. 

Maybe not widespread, but I do find that when watching films these days, for whatever reason, his themes seem to "jump out" at me the most, and I find myself noticing them in film a lot. 

E.g. I didn't consciously pick up on any of Danny Elfman's Dr Strange themes in the film itself, whereas Giacchino's Dr Strange theme really did, and I remember the Ancient One's theme standing out in-film, even if I can't remember it now.

The Batman, Catwoman and Riddler themes all made an impression, as did the Indominus, Raptor, Ingen and Jurassic World themes from that film.

I guess my post isn't so much about memorability, but how prominent they are in the film. I can't believe how much the Indominus motif stood out in Jurassic World, say compared to some of JW's SW sequel trilogy themes, which all ended up (relatively) buried behind a million sound effects.

• 1 month later...

What are the Giacchino film scores that do not have a CD release (just digital or vinyl)?

Earth Days

Jojo Rabbit

An American Pickle

Let Him Go

Extinct

LightYear

Thor Love and Thunder(?)

NO release at all:

50/50

This is Where I Leave You

Am i missing something?

Extinct is technically a Mick Giacchino score that Michael only provided themes for.

Sort of the same as American Pickle, except that OST has one track credited solely to Giacchino

Looking For Comedy In the Muslim World, Muppets Wizard of Oz, Sin, The Trouble With Lou, My Brother The Pig, and Legal Deceit all have no release at all as well

• 1 month later...
On 11/07/2022 at 2:44 PM, SyncMan said:

Here's a USA booking of Jurassic World LTP concert, 2 and 3/4 years after the last one.

Utah Symphony Orchestra 

August 12 and 13, 2022

https://utahsymphony.org/event/id/28463/

Rehearsal video of this concert by said orchestra.

https://www.facebook.com/100064360257143/posts/pfbid02MPQuvLjbbbAUX6B5AxSj8sFNBaPtGzV5JrU4HApftW9gMVWGTQUrwEF5H9PHEDLDl/

• 5 weeks later...

It seems the videogame “Gargoyles” is being remastered. Will giacchino or his team be involved in the score? 

it would be cool if they made an orchestral version of the tracks…though the one from the 1st level will sound too much like a certain Medal of honor track…

https://www.comingsoon.net/games/pb_article_type/1238582-gargoyles-video-game-remaster

Giacchino fans of JWFan: which director with whom he frequently collaborates (or at least used to) do you think brings the best in him? J.J. Abrams? Brad Bird? Matt Reeves? Colin Trevorrow? Taika Waititi? Jon Watts?

Matt Reeves. And I really like what he did with Watts on the Spider-Man films.

Brad Bird was the director that really put Giacchino on the spot and both Incredibles and Ratatouille are 3 of his best scores.

J.J. Abrams I like for the Star Trek scores. But I feel like this has more to do with it being Star Trek then it is Abrams directing.

Same with Trevorrow. And from the 3 JW films, the one which wasn't directed by Trevorrow (Fallen Kingdom) actually had the best score of the 3.

Well, I think it really helps to have a list of the collaborations in the thread right here, so each person doesn't have to try to remember or go out and look it up themselves, then potentially give up and not even reply as a result

Brad Bird

1. The Incredibles (2004)
  2. Ratatouille (2007)
  3. Mission Impossible 4 (2011)
  4. Tomorrowland (2015)
  5. Incredibles 2 (2018)

Thomas Bezucha

1. The Family Stone (2005)
  2. Monte Carlo (2011)
  3. Let Him Go (2020)

J. J. Abrams

1. Mission Impossible 3 (2006)
  2. Star Trek (2009)
  3. Super 8 (2011)
  4. Star Trek Into Darkness (2013)

Matt Reeves

1. Cloverfield (2008)
  2. Let Me In (2010)
  3. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)
  4. War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)
  5. The Batman (2022)

The Wachowskis

1. Speed Racer (2008)
  2. Jupiter Ascending (2015)

Pete Docter

1. Up (2009)
  2. Inside Out (2015)

Colin Trevorrow

1. Jurassic World (2015)
  2. The Book of Henry (2017)
  3. Jurassic World Dominion (2022)

Jon Watts

1. Spider-man 1 (2017)
  2. Spider-man 2 (2019)
  3. Spider-man 3 (2021)

Taika Waititi

1. Jojo Rabit (2019)
  2. Thor 4 (2022)
  3. Next Goal Wins (2023)

Looking at this list it's hard not to pick Brad Bird, but I suppose I've listened to those JJ Abrams scores more times overall, though

Wachowskis.  A 100% hit rate on scores.  Reeves is probably next, but I was cold on Dawn of POTA and like half of The Batman.  Giacchino and I have had a falling out over the past 10 years in general though, so I’m probably the wrong feller to ask.

I think the correct answer is Bird. He is the one that hired Gia for his first blockbuster movie, and their collaborations always bring something interesting. Also, The Incredibles, Ratatouille and Tomorrowland are among his very best scores.

Matt Reeves, on the other hand, is the guy that brings out Giacchino's darkest side. It's an interesting combination because he always push him into territories he doesn't explore often enough.

Wachowskis, if only he'd created more scores for them. Speed Racer and Jupiter Ascending are more comprehensive scores than the rest in the list...but Reeves for his darker tones, and Bird for the sheer exuberance that put his career on the map. I also think Tomorrowland is a super score.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it strange that the following pieces are among my very favourite pieces Giacchino has ever written? What's interesting they are all quite harsh, minimalistic, stripped-down and they're all from Matt Reeves' films.

Couldn't find Dread on Arrival from Let Me In anywhere but that's another one.

Suppose a large part of me is still longing for the days of Lost.

Karol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Giacchino's statement "I scored six movies this past year, and then I directed Werewolf By Night as well" makes no sense to me

Only 4 feature films scored by him came out this year - The Batman, Jurassic World 3, Lightyear, and Thor 4.... but  But he completed all his work on The Batman and Jurassic World 3 in 2021....

Maybe he also recorded Next Goal Wins this year, but that's still only 5.  Is he scoring something else coming out soon we don't know about?

51 minutes ago, Jay said:

Giacchino's statement "I scored six movies this past year, and then I directed Werewolf By Night as well" makes no sense to me

Only 4 feature films scored by him came out this year - The Batman, Jurassic World 3, Lightyear, and Thor 4.... but  But he completed all his work on The Batman and Jurassic World 3 in 2021....

Maybe he also recorded Next Goal Wins this year, but that's still only 5.  Is he scoring something else coming out soon we don't know about?

He also scored Werewf By Night. So that's 6.

And I think 'this past year' might mean between a year and 1.5 years

Even if you add in Spider-man No Way Home, that's only 5.  Next Goal Wins could make it 6 I suppose.  He clearly separated Werewolf by Night from the 6 films in his sentence.