The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched some Incredibles behind-the scenes info on pixar.com and noticed an interesting use of temp-track: In the "1000 mile dash" storyboard animatic the used "Everybody Runs" (:|) and "Anderton's Great Escape" from Minority Report. (Quite different from the style of the final music for the scene).

I got The Incredibles the other day. I was a bit disappointed at first. Until I turned up the volume. Groovy, baby. :nod:

The score's great, but it also made me realize I need some more John Barry. Hmm....

What's this about an extra cue, Meet Elastigirl or the Glory Days Part II or something anyway? Forgot where I read this though (on FSM perhaps). Was it on iTunes?

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw Giacchino is set to score "The Family Stone", a Christmas movie starring Claire Danes and Luke Wilson. Could be something to put after Home Alone in the holiday playlist? Unfortunately, a full release always seems to be an issue with "rom-coms".

What's this about an extra cue, Meet Elastigirl or the Glory Days Part II or something anyway? Forgot where I read this though (on FSM perhaps). Was it on iTunes?

It's not an extra cue, it's just the second part of the track "The Glory Days". It's basically the Mr Incredible/Elastigirl love theme that sounds a lot like Barry's work. It's a nice cue.

It's not an extra cue, it's just the second part of the track "The Glory Days". It's basically the Mr Incredible/Elastigirl love theme that sounds a lot like Barry's work. It's a nice cue.

At FSM:

I found the Oscar Promo of THE INCREDIBLES with an unreleased track on it called "Meet Elastigirl". Actually I think it must be an alternate version of "The Glory Days" Pt. 2, but maybe you know more?

Is this what you mean?

It probably will, but the movie looks like a dreckfest (save for maybe Kurt Russell, whom I quite like from time to time).

- Marc

bowdown Michael Giacchino - Marital Rescue from The Incredibles

I've lurked at JWFan for awhile and wanted to thank everyone in this thread who recommended some of Giacchino's works. I've purchased Secret Weapons Over Normandy and Medal of Honor Frontline and both are fantastic. Having played Medal of Honor Frontline in the past, it is now very clear what makes that game a cut above the rest. I've been seeing the commercials for MOH - European Assault but he's not doing that is he? While only John Williams is the next John Williams, it's nice to see someone else doing that type of music so well.

Michael Giacchino has always stood out as a brilliant composer for me... I remembered enjoying the music for MOHAA when playing the game when I was only young and didn't even know it was Giacchino at the time -- I still remember the music today.

As for The Incredibles - I went through a period where I was obsessed with it LOL -- I do that a lot :( ... I was obsessed with the Matrix Trilogy music for like a year -- I have got some very rare cues from Reloaded :P

:) Missile Lock - The Incredibles (Giacchino)

How's the Incredibles score by itself? I thought it was perfect in the movie but I'm not sure if I would enjoy listening to the score by itself.

Yes, that track makes me want to go out and get YOLT every time. 8O

So why listen to the homage when you can hear the real thing?

Neil

Yes, that track makes me want to go out and get YOLT every time. :thumbup:

Neil

Do you have any re-recordings of Williams music?

Why bother?

Yes, that track makes me want to go out and get YOLT every time. :mrgreen:

Neil

Short answer: a modern context.

Long answer: stop being so bloody negative.

I've just got Medal of Honor Underground, and I'm a bit disappointed that I've already got some of the tracks from the MoHAA game files. But, much like my approach to the SWON score, after only hearing the Underground main theme from the website, the expansion and orchestration of the themes into many differently-flavoured action tracks is no less than thrilling. And The Motorcycle Chase is yet another perfect bicycle-riding cue for me!

My favorite tracks from Underground that come to mind immediately are Escape from Casablanca and Labrynth of the Minotaur and The Battle of Monte Cassino, but then again the whole thing is great.

• 1 month later...

Giacchino receives two 2005 Emmy nominations. One for best original score for LOST and one for Best Song for The Muppets' Wizard of Oz.

Here is the complete list.

Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (Dramatic Underscore)

Carnivale • Jeff Beal

House • Christopher Hoag

Lost • Michael Giacchino

The Simpsons • Alf Clausen

24 • Sean Callery

Outstanding Music Composition For A Miniseries, Movie Or A Special (Dramatic Underscore)

Miracle Run • Joseph Conlan

Pride • George Fenton

Revelations • Joseph Vitarelli

Salem’s Lot • Lisa Gerrard, Christopher Gordon

Sometimes In April • Bruno Coulais

Warm Springs • Bruce Broughton

Outstanding Music Direction

Broadway: The American Musical • Matthias Gohl, Music Supervisor, Arranger and Producer

A Christmas Carol • Michael Kosarin, Music Produced and Adapted Underscore

Christmas In Washington • Ian Fraser, Music Director

Genius: A Night For Ray Charles • Rickey Minor, Music Director

The Little Prince (Great Performances) • Rachel Portman

Outstanding Music And Lyrics

Malcolm In The Middle • Dewey’s Opera - Song: The Marriage Bed • Charles Sydnor, Eric Kaplan

The Muppets’ Wizard Of Oz • Song: I’m With You • Michael Giacchino, Jeannie Lurie, Adam Cohen, Debra Frank, Steve Hayes

Reefer Madness • Song: Mary Jane/Mary Lane • Dan Studney, Kevin Murphy

The Simpsons • A Star Is Torn - Song: Always My Dad • Alf Clausen, Carolyn Omine

Terror at Home: Domestic Violence in America • Song: The Tears of the Angels • Michael Bolton

Outstanding Main Title Theme Music

Desperate Housewives • Danny Elfman

Foster’s Home For Imaginary Friends • James L. Venable

Huff • W.G. “Snuffy” Walden

Justice League Unlimited • Michael McCuistion

Stargate Atlantis • Joel Goldsmith

Congrats to all the nominees

-Erik-

Erik could you tell me if there are more Giacchino's videogame orchestral scores than these?

Small Soldiers

The Lost World

MOH

MOHU

MOHF

MOHAA

SWON

Mercenaries

Call of Duty

JP warpath too? (Is there anyway to get this? Could Mike put it in his webpage? 8O )

Michael Giacchino was killed today in a bizarre incident. Apparently a crazed internet fan stabbed him to death with batons. He was left to die with batons sticking out of both eyes, his mouth, and his hands and feet were impaled at well as he lay, seemingly crucified. On lookers watched in horror as the crazed man murder the famous video game composer, as the killer screamed you're not the next John Williams, your not the next John Williams. Giacchino had just been asked to replace John Williams on Steven Spielbergs next film because of a Williams scheduling conflict. The killer got away even though dozens and dozens witnessed the murder, not one offering the composer any assistance. The film community was stunned at the murder.

Spielberg was quoted as saying, well I guess I will have to get someone else. JJ Abrams the director of M.I.III when told of the murder replied, whose he?

Sadly, Michael leaves behind ...

Please choose:

a wife

a wife and multiply kids

a significant other.

8O Joe, who figures to get crucified over this

The complete video game credits of Michael Giacchino

Mercenaries (2004)

Call of Duty: Finest Hour (2004)

The Incredibles (2004)

Call of Duty (2003)

Secret Weapons Over Normandy (2003)

Medal of Honor: Frontline (2002)

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (2002)

Medal of Honor Underground (2000)

Muppets Monster Madness (2000)

Medal Of Honor (1999)

Warpath (1999)

T'ai Fu (1999)

Metal Fighter (1998)

Small Soldiers PSX (1998)

Squad Commander (1998)

The Lost World PSX (1998)

The Lost World: Chaos Island (1998)

-Erik-

"Road Trip!" makes me want to pull out "OO7"/"Little Nellie". But it's a little better because it's like a Disneyated version of OO7.

It'd be cooler than Hell to work with Giacchino, but...has he really done anything that doesn't sound like the A-listers?

Mercenaries (2004)

The Incredibles (2004)

Call of Duty (2003)  

Medal Of Honor (1999)

Warpath (1999)

T'ai Fu (1999)

Metal Fighter (1998)

Squad Commander (1998)

-Erik-

But all those are orchestral?

Chaos island definately doesnt sound like it. And i think neither does Tai Fu...

Mercenaries (2004)

The Incredibles (2004)

Call of Duty (2003)  

Medal Of Honor (1999)

Warpath (1999)

T'ai Fu (1999)

Metal Fighter (1998)

Squad Commander (1998)

-Erik-

But all those are orchestral?

Chaos island definately doesnt sound like it. And i think neither does Tai Fu...

Sorry... not all are orchestral. T'ai Fu and a few others aren't. I'd have to re-listen to them.

As for Sky High... there is no plan of a score release... yet.

-Erik-

As for Sky High... there is no plan of a score release... yet.

-Erik-

Holy cr**

I didn't even realize the upcoming CD was a song compilation until you mentioned that.

banghead OH MY!

• 3 weeks later...

Giacchino's music has been great so far. I love the Incredibles. Makes me want to go listen to all the bond scores that I haven't listened to in awhile. But I like the frantic 100 Mile Dash the most. My favorite bond similarities are Marital Rescue (Dawn Raid at Fort Knox) and Road Trip (007). I also have the Medal of Honor scores, my favorite being Underground.

Giacchino has quickly become a composer whose scores I'll purchase before hearing them (assuming they're score and not crappy songs). That's more than I can say for a lot of current composers

Giacchino has quickly become a composer whose scores I'll purchase before hearing them (assuming they're score and not crappy songs). That's more than I can say for a lot of current composers

True. I consider Secret Weapons Over Normandy his pinnacle - the epic, complex and ever-suprising themecraft surpasses all the Medal of Honor scores. The subject matter just oozes through every note, and since the leitmotif has no tangible events to score, the album is a symphony of pure action and adventure. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys the complexities and 'face-value' of film scores all at the same time.

So no score releases for either Sky High or Muppets Wizard of Oz? Pity.

yeah with such a huge fan base you'd figured it would be a sure fire triple platinum.

From today's Film Score Monthly review of Muppet Wizard of Oz: "What's worse, the music -- a primary asset in the original Muppet movies -- is completely disposable, with bland songs and a disappointing score from Michael Giacchino both failing to liven up the preceding."

Neil

and a disappointing score from Michael Giacchino both failing to liven up the preceding."  

NO, NO, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

slitting wrists, slitting wrists, ah the blood, mother the blood, getting sleepy, its hard to tyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

True. I consider Secret Weapons Over Normandy his pinnacle - the epic, complex and ever-suprising themecraft surpasses all the Medal of Honor scores. The subject matter just oozes through every note, and since the leitmotif has no tangible events to score, the album is a symphony of pure action and adventure. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys the complexities and 'face-value' of film scores all at the same time.

I tried listening to this CD again recently, twice. I was totaly unmoved both times. I don't get the big deal. I don't like the theme, and am not that impressed with what he did with it. However, I am liking his Incredibles score more and more.