The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

Michael Giacchino's GSA page says he was the "score producer" of the film "Argentina, 1985"

https://gsamusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Giacchino_Michael-1.pdf

IMDB does not credit him, because somebody screwed up and gave the credit to Mick Giacchino instead!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15301048/fullcredits/

However, Mick Giacchino's GSA page reveals he was actually the composer of Additional Music

https://gsamusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Giacchino_Mick.pdf

What a mess

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This film came out in October. It's on the shortlist for International Feature Film at the Oscars I believe.

And there also already has been a FYC release of the score.

So I do find the "will be" part a bit weird.

I watched the movie and Michael Giacchino does indeed appear as music producer on the credits, but I don't remember if Mick had an additional music credit, but if it's listed on that page I guess it must be right.

BTW, really nice score, with a couple of nice themes greatly developed through, and which fits the tone and atmosphere of the film elegantly, with some interesting orchestral touches which reminded me of Alexandre Desplat. Here's one of the best tracks, that contains both main themes in some of their best arrangements:

20 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

I watched the movie and Michael Giacchino does indeed appear as music producer on the credits, but I don't remember if Mick had an additional music credit, but if it's listed on that page I guess it must be right.

BTW, really nice score, with a couple of nice themes greatly developed through, and which fits the tone and atmosphere of the film elegantly, with some interesting orchestral touches which reminded me of Alexandre Desplat. Here's one of the best tracks, that contains both main themes in some of their best arrangements:

Wow, yeah, very reminiscent of Desplat!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I'm listening to Secret Weapons Over Normandy today!  Finally took the shrinkwrap off my copy, and this is my first time ever hearing the score at all.

Any fans of this score here?

The orchestration is super fun so far, the whole orchestra getting a workout!

One of the themes reminds me of the military theme from Super 8

Holy sh*t man! How have you waited so long? It is probably my favorite giacchino score for videogame and sometimes…ever

and yes the super 8 military theme sounds much like the nazi theme from Swon.

I didn't start listening to Giacchino's music until LOST came out, I believe it was, and the SWON OST was OOP by the time I realized I wanted to own all his scores. Luckily, one time when I visited LLL's offices, they had an extra copy they graciously gifted me. I just never got around to playing it until now! 

I finished disc 1 and yea.... It's great! 

Disc 2 its just odds and ends not used on the main program.

i have them edited into the main program and it works too.

gold guy logo and prologue would be the 1st and 2nd tracks too. I use the main theme as an end credits track

Here's something interesting.  I was reading the booklet of the release, and it mentions a short film Giacchino scored - "String of the Kite"

Has anybody ever seen this short film, or heard its score?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The way he worded it, I doubt its related to Next Goal Wins

Maybe a teaser trailer cue for The Batman 2 or the new Apes movie?

1 hour ago, Erik Woods said:

And here is super low res version on my Main Theme music video that was part of the game and on the CD release.

Is it possible to make a higher res version available somewhere?  Maybe upload to Vimeo or Google Drive?

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

It won't be The Batman 2, they are starting pre-production soon and won't starting filming until november.

Maybe it's a new studio logo or something

Didnt he write the batman year(s) before the film started filming?

He was announced as the composer in October 2019.

They started shooting the movie in January 2020 

The "camera test" teaser with his Batman theme came out in February 2020 https://vimeo.com/391277390

Before covid happened, the film was supposed to come out in June 2021.  But as covid ruined everything in 2020, they didn't even finish filming the movie until March 2021, and the release date was changed first to October 2021 then finally March 2022

57 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is it possible to make a higher res version available somewhere?  Maybe upload to Vimeo or Google Drive?

Unfortunately, I can't do that. The master is on a Sony BetaCam tape and I don't have a machine to play it back. I guess I could re-edit it one day. I have all of that footage lying around somewhere.

-Erik-

Maria Giacchino, Michael’s sister, posted a photo of Giacchino and Curtis Green in the booth at the Eastwood Scoring Stage.

Michael then shared it on his Instagram story with the caption:

Working on something very different…

This is a wild guess and almost certainly not what this is, but I think it would be neat if he wrote an epic score for his “Time Sleeper” film that he made with his friends in 1983 (with a score by Williams, Goldsmith, and Horner lol). He posted about “Time Sleeper” in November…maybe it was a hint haha (or maybe it was because the short was mentioned in the “Director by Night” doc… who knows? :lol:)

I considered that, or maybe a theme for the Penguin for the show that’s about to start shooting, but that didn’t seem “very different” enough…

Side note: I’m really hoping Giacchino does write a theme for the Penguin and someone from his team (Nami Melumad, Curtis Green, Mick, etc.) scores the series, since I doubt Michael would score the whole thing himself. (I had also hoped that a similar arrangement would happen with Secret Invasion, given Michael’s history with Thomas Bezucha… One can dream haha)

2 hours ago, Max said:

I considered that, or maybe a theme for the Penguin for the show that’s about to start shooting, but that didn’t seem “very different” enough…

Side note: I’m really hoping Giacchino does write a theme for the Penguin and someone from his team (Nami Melumad, Curtis Green, Mick, etc.) scores the series, since I doubt Michael would score the whole thing himself. (I had also hoped that a similar arrangement would happen with Secret Invasion, given Michael’s history with Thomas Bezucha… One can dream haha)

Secret Invasion is going to be scored by Kris Bowers

New post:

Just wrapped an amazing three days of recording on the Eastwood Scoring Stage at Warner Bros. with these cats. It was nice to be back on the stage after such a long time.

More info to come!!

Wow, three days of recording is probably more than just a theme, right?

19 minutes ago, Jaaaackified said:

Secret Invasion is going to be scored by Kris Bowers

Yeah, I saw that the other day, hence the “had hoped”. Probably could’ve made that clearer, though.

I had considered that the other day, and it would make sense with the size of the orchestra, but I wasn’t sure if Travelogue Vol. 2 would count as a “very different” kind of project… unless he was referring to the vibe/style being very different from Vol. 1’s, maybe?

He mentioned Vol. 2 in a podcast interview a few months ago, but I don’t remember exactly what he said about it. I’ll see if I can find the interview.

EDIT: This is something new, not Travelogue Vol. 2. This is from his interview on WMMR’s Preston & Steve Show on September 12, 2022:

Q: With the 44,000 things you’re doing… another album, another Travelogue? Volume 2?

MG: Oh, that’s interesting. I’m about to jump into another album -- a completely different idea. Actually, we’re going to solidify [it] this week, which I can’t wait to tell you about because it’s just weird and crazy and fun. But yeah, I’m going to do that, and then after that, probably I’ll go back and do another Travelogue. We’re trying to also get together to do that album live sometime soon too, so that will be fun. Yeah, so more of that stuff to come, too.

3 hours ago, Max said:

I had considered that the other day, and it would make sense with the size of the orchestra, but I wasn’t sure if Travelogue Vol. 2 would count as a “very different” kind of project… unless he was referring to the vibe/style being very different from Vol. 1’s, maybe?

He mentioned Vol. 2 in a podcast interview a few months ago, but I don’t remember exactly what he said about it. I’ll see if I can find the interview.

EDIT: This is something new, not Travelogue Vol. 2. This is from his interview on WMMR’s Preston & Steve Show on September 12, 2022:

I have to ask: Is that Giacchino in your profile pic?

• 2 months later...

Wikpedia and Disney Wiki both say Giacchino is scoring Gareth Edwards' next movie The Creator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Creator_(2023_film)

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/The_Creator_(film)

Probably just fan hope though

• 1 month later...