The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

If Giacchino can nail a Star Trek score he'll go a long way towards establishing himself with those like me who have never gotten into his work. A looooooooooong way.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YAY!

Now that would be another obligatory ST score along with ST:TMP for me ;)

I hope he uses Goldsmith's main theme.

Sadly he will get bad reviews because people will complain its not done correctly. Anyway, if he were to compose an original theme, people will still compare with the previous ones, and the critics and comparisons would still exist...

Why?

None of the composers of the Star Trek films have used each others themes, why should Giacchino start now?

This could be a good chance for him to proof that he really can write themes as good as Goldsmith and Horner in their best years.

As for re-using material, just the Alexander Courage theme please.

I hope he can write his own great themes (he's yet to to that for a film), since, frankely, I thought his M:I3 score was dead in the water except when he was using the Schifrin pieces.

Morlock- who incidentaly just started watching Lost, and finally understands what Morn has been yelling about with the music. Well scored show, with some excellent set-pieces (And I'm only in the seventh episode).

I hope he can write his own great themes (he's yet to to that for a film), since, frankely, I thought his M:I3 score was dead in the water except when he was using the Schifrin pieces.  

Morlock- who incidentaly just started watching Lost, and finally understands what Morn has been yelling about with the music. Well scored show, with some excellent set-pieces (And I'm only in the seventh episode).

So you've already heard Locke's "mystery" theme as well as his other more emotional theme which gets a fantastic plalying later in the series.

I hope he can write his own great themes (he's yet to to that for a film)

I don't get this. I hear nothing wrong with his themes. :?

My Giacchino introduction has begun. I listened to Secret Weapons Over Normandy today. And...I think I liked it. Quite a bit.

I'm scared.  :|

LOL "This is only the beginning!" :)

My Giacchino introduction has begun. I listened to Secret Weapons Over Normandy today. And...I think I liked it. Quite a bit.

I'm scared.  :|

That's right, give in to your feelings... :)

I found SWON pretty boring when I first listened to it, then I began to appreciate the variety of mood with consistency of thematic interpretation and it has become my most loved of symphonic works...(it is an album of 'concert pieces' more than film or game score).

And whoever said Giacchino hasn't written a good theme yet....is barmy. I'll correct them if they insist on such a deluded viewpoint.

So you've already heard Locke's "mystery" theme as well as his other more emotional theme which gets a fantastic plalying later in the series.

Ah, yes... Walkabout. Best. Episode. Ever.

Uh huh... Ok.

Film themes written by Michael Giacchino...

Semper Fi

SIN

The Family Stone

Redemption of the Ghost

My Brother The Pig

Sky High

Looking for Comedy In The Muslim World

The Trouble With Lou

None of those have original themes written by Michael Giacchino? Please.

:roll:

Hell, he even wrote a NEW IMF theme (or motif) for M:I3.

This man can write themes with the best of them.

-Erik-

Of course he can write themes. But his mastery lies in making underscore really interesting: ostinatos, build-ups, dissonances... His themes bring a score together (like Lost, or Alias) but the highlights are usually in the underscore.

Of course, this doesn't mean his themes aren't great: Walkabout's Locke Theme, Syd's Mother Theme in Alias (season 2), Syd's Theme, and the new motif in Mission Impossible III that seems to represent Ethan Hunt (although it sounds like a bad guy's theme).

Uh huh... Ok.

Film themes written by Michael Giacchino...

Semper Fi

SIN

The Family Stone

Redemption of the Ghost

My Brother The Pig

Sky High

Looking for Comedy In The Muslim World

The Trouble With Lou

None of those have original themes written by Michael Giacchino? Please.

I've yet to hear a memorable original theme by Giacchino outside of the MoH works, and those don't exactly scream of a unique sound. While I haven't seen all the films above, none of the ones I've seen had a note-worthy theme, nor a particularly impressive score. And I don't know why you aren't mentioning his best film work to date, The Incredibles.

Hell, he even wrote a NEW IMF theme (or motif) for M:I3..

Stop the presses! he wrote an insignificant theme for a rather uninteresting score for a forgetable film!

I like the man's work a lot, and have every confidence that he will just keep on getting better. However, up until now, none of his film work has been particularly unique, and only one has been notabley good (Again, The Incredibles).

Morlock- who should've learned not to enter the Giacchino-shrine unprotected

Why?

Because it is the best and most known?

But well then:

As for re-using material, just the Alexander Courage theme please.

'None of the composers of the Star Trek films have used each others themes, why should Giacchino start now?

This could be a good chance for him to proof that he really can write themes as good as Goldsmith and Horner in their best years.'

:music:

I would love to hear a Goldsmith tribute, but I think a good reason that the Trek scores have been of such consitent great quality through multiple composers is that every composer just did their own thing without worrying about what came before (with the exception, as Steef mentioned, of the Courage fanfare). A pattern Giacchino should follow.

Indeed. I am constantly impressed by the high quality maintained throughout most of the series, despite the totally different and varied approaches by each composer (except for McArthy's score, I liked them all to one degree or another).

McCarthy's Generations has a outstanding main title, a good theme, some rousing action music and a particulary good cue called the Nexus.

It also has some very good renditions of the Alexander Courage theme.

This score hasn't bored me once in the 12 years since I owned it.

Has it been 12 years already?

Oh my......

I stand corrected. One Giacchino theme has gotten stuck in my mind. His theme for the second guy in the wonderful short One Man Band (the one with all the string insturments) is pretty infectous.

Anyone know if his music from this short is/will be available anywhere?

Star Trek XI will be the worst score of the series if they use giapoopoo.

McCarthy's Generations has a outstanding main title, a good theme, some rousing action music and a particulary good cue called the Nexus.

It also has some very good renditions of the Alexander Courage theme.

This score hasn't bored me once in the 12 years since I owned it.

Has it been 12 years already?

Oh my......

IMO, McCarthy had the best TNG film score. I thought Goldsmith's work on the series was average, except for the Nemesis end credits.

I'm totally psyched about the Lost S2 album, though I wish we could get some more Alias music released. Giacchino was the only member of the main creative team still giving his all through the end of the show.

Star Trek XI will be the worst score of the series if they use giapoopoo.

If you're going to come in just to shit on the thread, do back it up with some logic. If you have any.

Michael Giachino has yet to produce a score that has capture the power, the spirit, the character, or the brilliance of any John Williams score, you pleabs have yet to figure that out, but so many of you settle for his mediocrity. But so many of you have crawled up his ass looking for brilliance that isn't there, and the some of you have the audacity to try and mention him as the next John Williams.

Now he will try to follow in a legacy of good to great scores, by composers all better than this chump, you can have him.

Hey Chris piss off

Mmmm i think its been some time people have called him the next john Williams, and many of us have settled a little.

BTW,the first one to do it was Steven Spielberg... (but well he also said he like Zimmer...)

I thought we had settled some time ago that nobody on this board had called him "next John Williams", which was just a quote from some amazon.com review.

We had. Joe just likes to talk out of his rear end occasionally.

Hey when little chrissy calls me an arse what do you expect, in a real face to face, I'd kick his little ass into the curb, and then take my pick of his cd collection, while he cries for his mommy. I'd probably actually take two, one for me, and something for Stefan. Afterall thats what we bullies do. :wave:

What, And Take Everyone's Responses, without giving my own. No way ross.

Michael Giachino has yet to produce a score that has capture the power, the spirit, the character, or the brilliance of any John Williams score...

Which means XI will be the worst Star Trek score? You're all over the place, son, and you still don't have a coherent argument against Giacchino.

It seems that because someone, somewhere said he was the next John Williams (a ridiculous phrase in itself), you had to go on the attack. But your attack had no power, no spirit, no character or brilliance. To compare an upcoming young gun such as Giacchino, with his slim (yet ranged, considering) body of work to somebody who is reaching the end of an even broader, 50-year career....is a bit silly. To compare him to Goldsmith or Horner is a slightly smaller mistake. To judge a potential Trek score (when Giacchino has not yet 'done' epic sci-fi) alongside all the others, of which the later ones were composed by, I assume, names who had little more material behind them than Giacchino currently has, is again, silly.

This makes you look silly, because your disdain for Giacchino is borne of a stroppy anger at others' praise of his exceptional adaptability so early in his career.

Miz, please I doubt you're old enough to call me son, as for Giachinno's exceptional adaptability, I've yet to hear it. He's mundane, and ordinary. My attention to him was brought because of a coment, but my opinion is based on his music, not a comment. Of course he's probably not being done any favors in scoring a Star Trek film that should not be made in the first place.

Well I've now had the chance to listen to several Giacchino CDs and on the whole I'm impressed. I think his two film scores are actually much weaker than his video game and TV work, but I'm sure he'll improve there. Williams didn't write Jaws or Star Wars his first time out either. I'm now pretty excited to hear what he's going to do for the next Trek.

I would like to see Joe vs Steef in a live chat battle of the wits. With the rest of the board as judges to the winner. And then the next week two new blokes fight it out.