The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

The Belgian Navy Song

I'm in the Belgian Navy

Sailing the Seven Seas

I have stinky socks

To Keep away the fleas.

This was one of the funniest moments during the Mercenaries sessions.

BTW, the orchestra was recorded during the Secret Weapons Over Normandy sessions and the orchestra only version can be heard on disc 2 the SWON album.

-Erik-

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I couldn't find the lyrics to Each night he comes home to me anywhere so since I have a few spare minutes I transcribed them from the song. Here they are.

Each Night He Comes Home to Me

Music by Michael Giacchino

Lyrics by Scott Langteau

Arrangement by Alki Steriopoulos

Vocals by Bettina Spier

Here's the school yard where we'd played

when we were younger years before today

laughing without a care to chase away

we met and vowed our love would never stray

I knew someday he would be

the one to come home to me

Here's the chapel where we wed

I won't forget the loving words we said

though times were tough and many tears were shed

We laid our plans and tried to get ahead

then soon one day we will see

and still he came home to me

here's the house we made our own

filled with hard work and all the seeds we'd sown

future as strong as the house's cornerstone

somehow it had seemd our troubles all had flown

our lives onces again care free

each night he came home to me

instrumental

then came the day he was called away

seeing him leave I kneeled to pray

here in my heart I kept him ever near

my thoughts of him would shleter me from fear

though he was across the sea

each night he came home to me

Here's the medow where he fell

his is a tale I'll always stop to tell

he comes at nigt to see I'm doing well

The medal I hold is pinned to his lapel

even now though his soul is free

each night he comes home to me

Hope that helps

Jeremy

I was hoping someone here (Erik?) would know where the unreleased bit from the Incredibles would go that plays when you open the Languages/Subtitles menu?

Is it an alternate/unused of sort? Haven't heard it when I watched the film.

I was going to bring this up in the "what is the last score you listened to" thread, but I found this faster.

I was going through the score to Mission Impossible III, for which I have always had a soft spot for (especially the first 10 tracks or so, which are easly the coolest spy music ever), when I noticed how cool a track like "Davian Gets the Girl" is. Listen to the build-up in the fist 10 seconds or so - very Giacchino-ish, huh? - but then wait and see how the whole thing develops up to 0:33. How can you not love that seven-second section? The track keeps up until around the first minute mark. Even if it's just a minute of music, it's a really nice minute of very inteligent scoring.

I just love this man.

There are a lot of parts I like in it, The Bridge Battle is a fantastic bit of action scoring, and Humpty Dumpty Sat on a Wall through "See you in the Sewer" is probably my favorite section of the score

The Belgian Navy Song

I'm in the Belgian Navy

Sailing the Seven Seas

I have stinky socks

To Keep away the fleas.

BTW, the orchestra was recorded during the Secret Weapons Over Normandy sessions and the orchestra only version can be heard on disc 2 the SWON album.

-Erik-

You know... i opened the booklet the other day to re-read it, and the lyrics were in the last page... i think i tried to match them with the music in the past, but i couldnt to i thought it maybe was another joke... And in mercenaries i really coulnt hear the words until now...

Erik, what is Edgewater studios? It appears in the end credits of the ratatouille game, and they are Mr Giacchino and Co. has he made a company?

to keep on topic, yes giacchino rules

Humpty Dumpty Sat on a Wall through "See you in the Sewer" is probably my favorite section of the score

Very probably. You have to love how Giacchino made the "Mission: Impossible" theme his own all through that section.

After all, it's the best part of the film too - it's actually the only part of the film where there's actual espionage going on. Anything else is just Tom Cruise taking things personally.

It wasn't anywhere near as bad as Woo's film, that's for sure. But it also wasn't as interesting as DePalma's. Now that I think about it, I do recall liking parts of the Vatican sequence. I didn't like Phillip Seymour Hoffman at all (which I didn't know was possible).

Morlock i think i see nostalgia in your statements about Mission Impossible.

Its possible that 2 being that bad, you put the 1st in a shrine, and cannot be moved from there.

III is not a bad movie, and its not forgetable...IMO

Nostalgia? I was never a huge M:I fan. 2 is garbage. 1 is a flawed but good movie, with a lot of style and a great score. 3 was...forgettable. Cruise was boring, the villain was boring, I can't for the life of me remember who the love interest was, not any of hte supporting characters.

De Palma's is simply the best of the lot (and I don't mean to be damning with praise).

a bit off topic, but i just got my second MG CD, The Incredibles. Really great score! Love the old-fashioned, almost corny, spy music. Better in my opinion, than my only other MG score, M:i:III.

a bit off topic, but i just got my second MG CD, The Incredibles. Really great score! Love the old-fashioned, almost corny, spy music. Better in my opinion, than my only other MG score, M:i:III.

Really need to pick up his Medal of Honor scores

that was time...

it says Giacchino made Call of Duty United offensive.

The music folder in that game has few music, and all seemes synth and or popular pieces (they are only russian, Us, British and german victory marches and they are not complete... and have bad sound compared to COD...) maybe the game uses the music of COD and that why he is credited...

Lost is the best TV score around. I'm really loving this composer, I expect great things from him. He has range and melodic ability, but also good technical quality. Many modern composers have great talents, Don Davis is brilliant at minimalism for example, excellent musicianship, but it's all he can really do well. But Giacchino has general brilliance and versatility, that's a sign that he may become very successful.

Yes. The best thing a composer can have (other than talent) is variety. That is what makes JW my favorite composer. He can blend in and adapt, no matter what type of movie he's given, and he excels at every style. (e.g. JW has scored jazz movies, Asian movies, Western movies, Christmas movies, comedies, thrillers, fantasies, childrens, sci-fi, disaster, adventures, film noir, dramas, and many more). This is what seperates JW from composers like Danny Elfman and Hans Zimmer. Giacchino hasn't scored too many movies, but what he HAS scored has been incredibly varied, and the scores have been great. I think this is his "Towering Inferno/Poseidon Adventure/Earthquake phase," but I think he will get much more popular in the future.

The Belgian Navy Song

I'm in the Belgian Navy

Sailing the Seven Seas

I have stinky socks

To Keep away the fleas.

-Erik-

You know... i opened the booklet the other day to re-read it, and the lyrics were in the last page... i think i tried to match them with the music in the past, but i couldnt to i thought it maybe was another joke... And in mercenaries i really coulnt hear the words until now...

Erik, what is Edgewater studios? It appears in the end credits of the ratatouille game, and they are Mr Giacchino and Co. has he made a company?

to keep on topic, yes giacchino rules

Edgewater, NJ is where Michael grew up. Edgewater Park Music is his own personal company.

-Erik-

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know if a Season 3 score will be released?

There was new music recorded, especially in the finale with all the variations of Hollywood & Vines. However, I don't think there was enough to fill an entire score CD.

I doubt one will be released, because I would have heard of it by now. Also, considering Alias only got the first two seasons released, the same is probable with Lost.

Maybe Giacchino will leave the show and Chris Tilton will come in to re-use and adapt his score for the remainder of the series.

However, I don't think there was enough to fill an entire score CD.

Each episode pretty much gets an original score.

I'd say there's enough to fill a third CD.

I just don't know how well the second one really sold. I can imagine it might not have sold as well as the first one (these things generally go that way, sometimes despite of quality).

• 2 weeks later...

As I said in the other forum, the sound is a composition unto itself. Whoever made that patch should be rich in royalties.

On the other hand, this new Fall of Liberty sounds pretty original and it may be my first Giacchino purchase :)

http://www.gameaudioforum.com/phpBB2/viewt...php?p=5647#5647

Here's an interesting revelation. The eerie crescendo in LOST that has become so famous is nothing more than a single note from a synthesizer, rather than a composition.

This sound isn't credited to Giacchino on the album releases, btw. It's credited to J.J. Abrams

And Lost uses very few synth in the scores as far as I know.

As I said in the other forum, the sound is a composition unto itself. Whoever made that patch should be rich in royalties.

Should be, but won't. patches are signed off for copyright in such a way that the designers don't get royalties. They become public domain. Maybe you knew that...

The LOST theme should be credited to Eric Persing who created Spectrasonics Atmospheres. It's a patch from that virtual synth that is the main theme. There's a clever little bit on YouTube of someone mimicking it using Cubase and Atmosphere. Sounds exactly the same.

As for Giacchino, if he's the only thing standing in the way of a complete MV saturation of Hollywood film, I say all the power to him. At least he has a solid grasp of musical devices and likes his orchestral music to be, oh my gosh, acoustic! :)

Daaaaam...n! :angry:

I finally got MOH Airborne to work in my computer*.

And there is a lot of unreleased music there. There is also music from other MOH Giacchinos scores but...

Being a digital download, the score should have contained all or at least the all the long cues (not the finisheg fanfares for example) Nevertheless, a release like 'Secret weapons' would have been perfect. I suppose Giacchino spoiled us with that one...

I hope more is released on the future...

*As i suspected, Windows Service pack 2 is only needed for installation. Just install the game on some other computer that has the SP2 and then copy and paste the game folder to your computer. Nice one EA...

This is what seperates JW from composers like Danny Elfman and Hans Zimmer.

And you don't see variety between scores like Nightmare before Christmas, To Die For, Spiderman, Sommersby, Planet of the Apes, Big Fish...?

I would suggest to indy4 he go to youtube and look at some the Elfman scoring docs. You'll see the man is a very good composer and knows his stuff.

• 1 month later...

Hmm, potential for some good action/chase music there maybe.

Erik, do you have any info on when he's going to start work on Star Trek, when scoring sessions start, etc, or is it too far out yet?

Hmm, potential for some good action/chase music there maybe.

Erik, do you have any info on when he's going to start work on Star Trek, when scoring sessions start, etc, or is it too far out yet?

He'll probably record in October.

-Erik-

Giacchino has signed on to score Andy and Larry Wachowski's latest, SPEED RACER!!!

Interesting. I rate Giacchino's Alias music as the best orchestra/techno blend this side of Mona Lisa Overdrive, so knowing nothing about this project, it sounds like a good idea.

Here he comes

Here comes Speed Racer

He's a demon on wheels

He's a demon and he's gonna be chasin' after someone.

He's gainin' on you so you better look alive.

He's busy revvin' up a powerful Mach 5.

And when the odds are against him

And there's dangerous work to do

You bet your life Speed Racer

Will see it through.

Go Speed Racer

Go Speed Racer

Go Speed Racer, Go!

He's off and flyin' as he guns the car around the track

He's jammin' down the pedal like he's never comin' back

Adventure's waitin' just ahead.

Go Speed Racer

Go Speed Racer

Go Speed Racer, Go!

This is in response to trentman from that locked thread about Giacchino and Star Trek XI.

(trentman @ Dec 4 2007, 12:24 AM)
(koraysavas90 @ Dec 4 2007, 10:31 PM)

If Michael Giacchino isn't the future of great film music, Zimmer will reign for at least the next decade or so.

Giacchino is the next big thing...he is going to surprise the lot of you (except koray wink.gif )

I know he is, that's what I've been saying! And there is no surprise, because I already know he will be highly successful.

As some of you might know I've produced a couple of videos for Michael Giacchino over the years. Well, I finally got permission from the man himself to upload them to YouTube. Here they are...

MERCENARIES MAIN THEME MUSIC VIDEO

This video was intended to be used in the LucasArts video game, MERCENARIES. Unfortunately, at the last second, it was dropped from the game.

SECRET WEAPONS OVER NORMANDY MUSIC VIDEO

This video was used in the LucasArts video game, SECRET WEAPONS OVER NORMANDY. You had to complete a certain level of the game in order for you to watch it. The video was also included on disc two of the SECRET WEAPONS OVER NORMANDY soundtrack released by La La Land Records.

MEDAL OF HONOR: FRONTLINE MUSIC VIDEO

This video was used in the EA Games video game, MEDAL OF HONOR: FRONTLINE. You could see this video during the end credits of the game.

MEDAL OF HONOR: UNDERGROUND MUSIC VIDEO

This was used a as promotional video for the DreamWorks Interactive video game, MEDAL OF HONOR: UNDERGROUND. Michael kindly invited me to the sessions in Seattle so I armed myself with my video camera with the intention of just capturing my first recording session on video. About half way through the sessions I decided that I would take my footage and create a music video featuring the main theme as a way of saying thank you to Michael for the invite. This video ultimately led to more videos featuring the music of Michael Giacchino.

Enjoy!

-Erik-