The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

I'm actually not a fan of that statement of Locke's theme. Kind of annoys me...always has, ever since the first time I saw that episode. ::shrug:: Oh well. Still a really solid album all around.

You only like the boring stuff, it's OK. ;)

Yeah..."Bobbing for Freighters" has got to be the most boring track known to man! ;)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Season 4 album is rapidly becoming my own personal favourite Lost OST so far. The selection of the tracks is very good and shows the great work Giacchino is doing with his own themes and motifs for this show.

"Landing Party" is probably Giacchino's most moving composition. Gorgeous stuff.

About my rating of SWON, you know, it is going to be the CD i give Giacchino to sign at Ubeda :rolleyes:

So, you have finally decided to visit Ubeda.

i have yet to pay it... but yes, i hope i'm going...

If I had to get one album signed it would be Secret Weapons; I'd love him to sign Lost but I wouldn't know what album to choose! Secret Weapons Over Normandy is a towering acheivement, and made me realise I love Giacchino best in his game scores, where he has more temporal freedom in his writing. SWON is solid action, so much more eloquent than the childish game it comes from, and I'll love it for a long time to come.

That would have been my choice, but i have not been able to buy a physical CD of those.

SWON was the 1st Giacchino score i bought, blindly (i heard just the main theme on the official site to warrant a buy :D )

I've personally had no problem when I've used them.

However it appears they could use a litle help in their shipping dept. with processing orders and communicating with their customers.

Do a search at FSM and you will see what I mean.

How do you pronounce MG's name?

I always think of Guy-A-Cheeno? :lol:

Or is it Guy-A-Sheeno?

Or even Gee-A-Sheeno?

Anyone know? :)

The pronunciation given on his official website is "Jyah-kee-noh." If you listen to him pronounce it in interviews and whatnot, he puts the stress on the second syllable. So jyuh-KEE-no. (FWIW, I always pronounced it JEE-uh-CHEE-no until I read that page.)

The pronunciation given on his official website is "Jyah-kee-noh." If you listen to him pronounce it in interviews and whatnot, he puts the stress on the second syllable. So jyuh-KEE-no. (FWIW, I always pronounced it JEE-uh-CHEE-no until I read that page.)

Thanks DM.

What risk is there with buysoundtrax?

Seriously? It's been discussed several times.

I initially pronounced it Gee-a-chee-no. Now I pronounce it Gee-a-kee-no, even though it sounds like Juh-kee-no. It just doesn't sound right.

A big one.

Indeed, stay away from Buysoundtrax...if you want to take a chance of never seeing what you ordered (or a refund), or taking a year if not longer for the order to show up.

Seriously? It's been discussed several times.

I initially pronounced it Gee-a-chee-no. Now I pronounce it Gee-a-kee-no, even though it sounds like Juh-kee-no.Juh-kee-no It just doesn't sound right.

Jyah-kee-noh, JEE-uh-CHEE-no, jyuh-KEE-no, Gee-a-chee-no... Sounds like Korean quadruplet.

www.michaelgiacchinomusic.com is not Michael Giacchino's official website.

I've only ordered from them once, and I found them OK.

Honestly, my orders from BSX have never been met with issues either, but I don't push my luck. I only order from them if they are offering an autographed product that interests me, so maybe only three times total in the past. But if you just check out the frequency of complaints about them on FSM, and even Lukas' suggestion to NOT buy direct from them you'll see that any purchase with them can be a risk.

It just doesn't sound right.

Italian doesn't sound right for pronouncing an Italian name?

I think somewhere here said it's wrong for Italian pronunciation.

If you know italian you can pronounce it well.

I dont know if it matches with how Giacchino pronounces it...but a language is a language...

The german radio bonus track in MOH pronounces it well, i think. Eliminating the german accent XD

There appears to be some concern that Up will be a download release only.

Manual is correct though, the MOH CD has it pronounced correctly.

There appears to be some concern that Up will be a download release only.

Which makes no sense since it's roughly 45 minutes of score.

Manual is correct though, the MOH CD has it pronounced correctly.

Yeah that's how I pronounce it.

There looks to be a bunch of worthless sound effects added to the album, much like the Generations abum had.

wow will be the score complete?

the music runs for arround 47 minutes and korays said the film had about 45 minutes of score?

is track 23 a song? LOL, i just checked the soundclips.

It seems that we got the film version of the house first flight.

Oh well... lets hope the DVD menus have the rest...

Ot that they offer it at ubeda as a bonus :angry:

the music runs for arround 47 minutes and korays said the film had about 45 minutes of score?

No no. The 45 minutes was me doing a rough calculation of the album length.

oh ROTFLMAO

new interview up

Prolific film and TV composer Michael Giacchino told SCI FI Wire that his score for Disney/Pixar's upcoming 3-D animated Up is more traditional than his other recent scores, including ones for J.J. Abrams' Star Trek and for the Pixar films Ratatouille and The Incredibles.

"It is essentially a love story about Carl [voiced by Edward Asner] and his wife," Giacchino (Lost, Fringe) said in an exclusive interview at Up's Hollywood premiere last weekend. "So it was just about going there and finding out [what] that means. What I ended up doing was doing this very simple waltz that grows and twists and turns through the whole course of the film. As Carl goes on this adventure, everything just changes, [and] the music changes with him and his character as he develops and he grows."

Carl is a curmudgeonly, elderly widower who decides to attach balloons to his house and fly it up, up and away into the wilds of South America. "Which is very representative of their love," Giacchino said. "And so that is where it all begins. In many ways it's a very traditional score, as opposed to what Ratatouille is, which is a jazz-European thing, and The Incredibles, which is jazz, too, but more American orchestra. So this is a more traditional film score, which was really fun to do but also one of the most emotional movies I ever got to work on."

Giacchino faced a different challenge with Star Trek, which he did for longtime collaborator Abrams. "[Replicating such iconic music themes] for Star Trek was the fear in the very beginning," he said. "I thought, 'Oh, God. What am I going to do?' Because all this great space music has already been written, and so it was truly a fear. And then, in the end, we all just sat down and said, 'You know what? This is really just a story about two guys who become friends. And let's not forget that.'"

Giacchino's work will also be heard in the upcoming Land of the Lost re-imagining, starring Will Ferrell; he had to work around the infectious theme song for the Sid and Marty Krofft TV show on which the movie is based.

"Will Ferrell sings a bit of the theme song in the movie," Giacchino said. "It is very funny when he does it. He is great in this. When Brad Silberling, the director, came to me and was telling me about the project, all he had to say was, 'Will Ferrell and dinosaurs.' And I was like, 'OK, I'm there.'"

Giacchino definitely knows of what he speaks and plans to honor the fans of that groovy early-'70s TV series. "I watched Land of the Lost as a kid, you know, incessantly," he said. "I loved it. Me and my brother watched it every Saturday. And so getting to work with [creators] Sid and Marty Krofft, that was fantastic. [When it comes to the song,] there is a little surprise in the film, yes, but I don't want to ruin it. But I wasn't going to do that film and not hint at that theme somewhere."

got the Up score

I haven't finished it yet, since it's downloading incredibly slow, but there's some good stuff in here. Carl Goes Up is the best track so far, but I was hoping for some more grand tracks.

K, I've pretty much made it through. I was getting worried that the music in the first trailer wasn't in the soundtrack, but it's in the credits ROTFLMAO

AHH!! Itunes Canada does it again.... for the release of UP today, apparently they weren't allowed to release the sound effects tracks here in Canada so Itunes put the album up as a "partial album" which means we have to buy each track seperatly! BAH I'm not paying $23 for a incomplete $9 album!

Anyone know of any other digital download services other then Itunes or Amazon that will let me buy & download the album in Canada?

Thanks!

Same thing with the US iTunes store. And yet there's a digital booklet that is "album only".

But $23? Ridiculous. I think I'll just buy the CD...

Oh, wait.

:P

There's no physical CD release.

You can legally purchase it off amazon or iTunes right now