The Official Michael Giacchino Thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know. I read that. I figured that post could be read sarcastically or even literally :)

I don't think it's his worst. It has somewhat of an improvised sound to it, but I like that about it. I certainly like it better than his game scores(blasphemy, I know) and I like it better than Star Trek(also blasphemy, I know).

Very unlikely IMO. Captain America is going to suck, and Giacchino said he only scores films that he likes.

I think the only thing unlikely about it is Marvel not generally hiring the biggest (or sadly best) composers. The quality of the film is still up in the air as they've only just started shooting, and I imagine like a lot of other composers Giacchino would be very open to scoring what is potentially going to be a huge movie, especially since Giacchino is a nerd.

In terms of him only scoring films he likes, that seems very vague. What does he like? The script? What happens if he likes the script, but when it comes to the rough cut it sucks? Does he walk away?

I guess the first time I ever really liked the music was when Dharmacide played. I had gotten the first two soundtracks, but I wasn't hugely into them. Then when Dharmacide played, I was just in awe at its brilliance.

And with a nod to The Maestro no less:

You know, I look at John Williams' career, and I'm always just so amazed at how he jumps from this kind of film to that kind of film, and he was always picky and choosy -- and again, there's a guy that just could have done any kind of every film under the sun if he had wanted to. So I just kind of used him as a model for how I would approach this; if I were ever lucky enough to do a few films a year, I would try and be really picky.

"The first thing I do is just sit down at the piano and come up with whatever the major themes are going to be because if you get it to work well on a piano you know that it’s going to work well within the orchestra."

I'm a fan of the man but isn't this simplifying too much?

If any of his themes sounded too pianistic for use in the orchestra, sure, but if anything, it's often the other way around. I don't think we should read too much into that statement. He's just saying he works it out on the piano - which is exactly what Williams does, too, of course.

That was an excellent interview! Quint should really interview Johnny in the future. When he's asked stuff from someone who knows about music and doesn't ask the generic questions, Williams is a pleasure to listen to.

Michael Giacchino will be scoring Cars 2, it seems.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118025204.html?categoryid=16&cs=1,

I know it won't happen and based on the composers they've used I'm not too enthused, but I would love to see Giacchino score Legendary's Godzilla film.

Michael Giacchino will be scoring Cars 2, it seems.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118025204.html?categoryid=16&cs=1,

I know it won't happen and based on the composers they've used I'm not too enthused, but I would love to see Giacchino score Legendary's Godzilla film.

Yay!!! Always better than Randy Newman, I say. Especially with the rumoured spy motif going on in the film. Could be some GREAT themes.

Hopefully the second Cars movie will be as good as the first one. All though I don't see why they felt it needed a sequel...

Regarding the score I'd be willing to check it out. Newman's score for the first one was pretty fun.

So it's official, Giacchino is Pixar's only composer. He booted out the Newmans, scoring Cars 2 and John Carter Of Mars.

John Carter of Mars isn't a Pixar movie. And it's certainly not Newman's style.

That's what I was thinking. However, it's directed by Andrew Stanton, whose one of Pixar's main collaborators, so I guess there might still be some Pixar influence. ;)

So it's official, Giacchino is Pixar's only composer. He booted out the Newmans, scoring Cars 2 and John Carter Of Mars.

The film will be distributed by Walt Disney Pictures, but Pixar will share a producing credit from what I know (it IS involved in this movie, however).

In all sincerity, I would have preferred a Newman score for this film, I'd love to hear his style applied to a big sci-fi epic. However, Giacchino is good enough to deliver a satisfying work.

As others have said, it's Andrew Stanton. No more Thomas Newman.

As others have said, it's Andrew Stanton. No more Thomas Newman.

It's also a giant sci-fi epic. Not exactly the kind of thing that comes up repeatedly on Newman's resume. I just think you're reading too much into this.

Now I'm curious because I though Randy Newman was originally attached to Cars 2, not just by speculation.

It IS curious, for sure. Especially since Lasseter took over directing the film! He has repeatedly said Randy Newman is his favorite composer.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my signed Giacchino Let Me In CD from Dark Delicacies. Cool. What a terrific score BTW. I have to say that there have been some really terrific scores out in 2010. With guys like Giacchino, Powell, and Desplat getting primo jobs, the landscape of film music is looking brighter.

Cool. I hadn't seen that yet.

Firefox's DownloadHelper can snag the MP3.

The tags for the file indicate that it's from disc 2, track 39 of Toy Story 3 The Complete Soundtrack (Pixar Crew Exclusive).

And the track title is Off For A Scroll (Bonus).

Cool. I hadn't seen that yet.

Firefox's DownloadHelper can snag the MP3.

The tags for the file indicate that it's from disc 2, track 39 of Toy Story 3 The Complete Soundtrack (Pixar Crew Exclusive).

And the track title is Off For A Scroll (Bonus).

vey interesting :)

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Giacchino fans might want to check this page out:

Propulsive Music: The Music of Peter Boyer

I cannot believe our luck here, but it contains the entire cue "Can You Shoot Me Now?" from Mission: Impossible 3.

Also, it's been a while since I listened to the Star Trek Deluxe, but what is "Spock Bans Offshore Drilling"?