• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait til Steef comes in and sees how his board has gone downhill

My plan is complete

Does that mean it's time to move on?

Neil

Never!

It only means it is time to take the spamming to the next level! :mrgreen:

Of course not, he's really good friends with the producer of MOH who moved to CoD

Yeah but friendship has its limits.

I firmly believe if Giacchino's film scoring career really takes off (which I hope it does) he'll move away from scoring games in the next handful of years.

Chat threads are annoying except for the two people involved with the chat. Private messages as well as AIM, ICQ, Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger are perfect for coversations.

Neil

Yeah but friendship has its limits.  

I firmly believe if Giacchino's film scoring career really takes off (which I hope it does) he'll move away from scoring games in the next handful of years

Hell no, if he's having a good run with videogames I dont want him to really leave it unless he's not doing well in it

He'll do both because's he's Giacchino

Chat threads are annoying except for the two people involved with the chat.  Private messages as well as AIM, ICQ, Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger are perfect for coversations.

Neil

True. Thats why I am trying to put this thread back on topic.

OK so back on topic!

I would love to see Giacchino take the reigns of one of the upcoming majoe event motion pictures. I am not sure what major movie series are upcoming, but something along the line of a sci-fi/fantasy film like LOTR or SW would be awesome!

If he can move into scoring films (and if he is given a big break, become the next 'star'), while keeping with his modest beginnings and still score games, he will have A LOT of credit in my book. This will also definately bring some much needed attention to game scoring on many fronts (game players/producers/publishers) which is undoubtably A Good Thing for the industry we love. (It will also expand creativity, originality and help the moving forward of the games industy, which, if anyone else understands and appreciates, is A Good Thing for said medium).

If he can move into scoring films (and if he is given a big break, become the next 'star'), while keeping with his modest beginnings and still score games, he will have A LOT of credit in my book.

Isn't that kind of like wishing Williams still scored Gilligan's Isalnd after he did Jaws?

Neil

Would everybody please check their local second-hand shop for one of those Medal of Honor CDs and send it to me?

Thank you.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Gee-uh-Keeno

Wait! I thought it was pronounced.

Jee-A-CHEEN-O

I've never actually heard his name pronounced by someone so I wasn't 100% sure on this.

On the Medal of Honor soundtrack, they pronounce his name Jee-Uh-Keen-O

Would everybody please check their local second-hand shop for one of those Medal of Honor CDs and send it to me?

Oh, you want to PM QuestionMarkMan for that. He knows where to get them.

Michael pronounces it Jah-Keeno.

-Erik-

Where did you hear him pronounce it? I've followed his interviews pretty extensively and have never heard him define the pronunciation of his name.

Where did you hear him pronounce it? I've followed his interviews pretty extensively and have never heard him define the pronunciation of his name.  

Its on the Medal of Honor soundtrack. On the last track, his mom(!) is conducting the band in a version of Stars and Stripes. They say his name then.

Oh, you want to PM QuestionMarkMan for that. He knows where to get them.

Unless he's never heard of eBay I wouldn't know

Has anybody else gotten his Secret Weapons Over Normandy soundtrack

Its on the Medal of Honor soundtrack. On the last track, his mom(!) is conducting the band in a version of Stars and Stripes. They say his name then.

OH well no wonder I've never heard it then. That track is awful.

BTW someone above mentioned Williams scored Gilligan's Island.

Did he write the main theme song too?

A 3 HOUR TOUR PEOPLE! :|

BTW someone above mentioned Williams scored Gilligan's Island.

No I believe that was written by Sherwood Schwartz. Williams did the incidental music on the show.

Neil

Back on topic guys, this is an old interview but very well done on Michael http://www.tracksounds.com/specialfeatures...interviewmg.htm

Here are some excerpts

CC:  Have the reactions you've been getting been mostly positive regarding Medal of Honor.  

MG:  Yes.  It seems that there is a large fan base for big orchestral music and sometimes it feels as though that sort of music has gone away.  The whole practice seems to be disappearing.  Now, soundtracks are more geared toward how many songs they can stick on them as opposed to featuring the score from the film.  I mean, now we have gone to entire albums that are filled with music that is "inspired by the film!" What is that?

CC:  How does composing for video games compare to composing for TV or feature films?  

MG:  Well, some people ask me, "Don?t you hate working on video games" And I say, "How often do you get to really let loose and write a score like Medal of Honor?"  Most films today don't call for this kind of music.  So, in many respects, doing a score for a video game like "Medal of Honor" is almost a throwback, and more enjoyable.  You feel like a big part of the team.  You, as the composer, are not just tacked onto the end of a project.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CC:  How has John Williams influenced your work?  

MG:  One of the things that stuck with me, at an early age, from his material was that it always had a theme being worked out.  What attracted me most to music was anything that had a memorable melody- something that you could lock onto while you were listening to it.  In my writing, I find it hard to do things any other way.  I try to do music which is more abstract and about texture, rather than melody, but whenever I complete it, it always ends up having some sort of melody or theme that carries it through.   That comes from listening to people like Glen Miller, Louis Armstrong,  Bennie Goodman, John Phillip Sousa, and John Williams.  Those guys all work with melodies.  It was always about doing something that people can zero in on and say, "Ah hah! I get this!"  That has always been a huge part of me and is why I write that way.  It is always about a theme, a melody, that you mold and shape and do all sorts of things with.  That is what I love and what is so much fun for me.  So I guess John Williams, along with the others I mentioned, was instrumental in influencing me this way.

CC:  Have you ever met John Williams?  

MG:  You know, I met John Williams once.  It was a long time ago.  It was long before I had a career as a composer.  I was still in college and he was doing a concert in New Jersey.  During the intermission for the concert I walked backstage.  It was an open-air concert, sort of low-key, without a lot of security.  There he was sitting in his tuxedo on this folding chair.  No one was talking to him, so I introduced myself to him and then said that sort of gibberish one says when one doesn't know what to say.  After that I just headed back to my seat.  He was very nice though.

CC:  Has he heard your work?  

MG: I know that Steven Spielberg has talked to him about my work.  I don't know if he has actually heard it though.  I'm sure it is possible that he could have, though

Sorry for length, also in the interview he gives tons more information along with his thoughts on Star Wars and his reaction wtih the Phantom Menace, and his reaction to whether he would ever score a Spielberg film

I'd really love to hear John Williams comment on Giacchino's work.

I'd like to know about how Williams feels regarding Giacchino emulating his style so well.

It will be interesting to see what follow-up project Giacchino takes after "The Incredibles". I have to believe after he does a presumably astonishing job on that film the offers wil be quite substantial and numerous.

Michael pronounces it Jah-Keeno.

-Erik-

On his voice mail!

-Erik-

Back when the big thread about Giacchino doing The Incredibles started, I ignored it because I only knew him from Alias. I always liked his work on Alias, and often wished that he wrote something to replace that God-awful techno theme "composed" by the series creator. Still, I thought he was just another composer trying to make the jump to feature films. Ironically, MOH:AA had been some of my favorite music, so much so that I grabbed some MP3s out of the game files. Unfortunately, they didn't have artist tags on them, so I had no idea Giacchino was the composer. (I probably saw his name in the credits, but had forgotten.) Anyway, imagine my surprise when I checked on IMDb to learn that he was the MOH composer.

I went online to his website and checked out some more of his MOH work. Now I am a total Giacchino convert, and am extremely psyched about The Incredibles. I hope he has the opportunity to do a wide range of work in the future.

Many thanks on the name pronunciation, Erik. I've been saying it Jee-ahk-cheeno.

Now I am a total Giacchino convert, and am extremely psyched about The Incredibles

Glad to have you among the faithful!

You must do Michael's holy work and help me convert the heathens like Stefan who deny the greatness of the master! ;)

OK j/k j/k

I haven't become that big of a fanboy zealot. At least ....... not yet! ;)

I read that Williams has asked Spielberg and Lucas to use Giacchino exclusively for all of their films once he retires. Williams has also been seen talking to Chris Columbus and Oliver Stone about Giacchino's compositional prowess. ;)

I picked up copies of Medal Of Honor Underground and Medal Of Honor Frontline and I'm impressed. ;)

Hopefully The Incredibles will be the break he needs because he is certainly better than the MV factory crap, BT or any other person with a keyboard who thinks they can write film music.

I read that Williams has asked Spielberg and Lucas to use Giacchino exclusively for all of their films once he retires.  Williams has also been seen talking to Chris Columbus and Oliver Stone about Giacchino's compositional prowess. ;)

OMG

I picked up copies of Medal Of Honor Underground and Medal Of Honor Frontline and I'm impressed.

Yes but get Call of Duty, Medal of Honor is really good but a bit kiddish compared to COD. :)

BT or any other person with a keyboard who thinks they can write film music.

Like JNH? *glares at Mark as if he's a prejustice against technology twit*

I read that Williams has asked Spielberg and Lucas to use Giacchino exclusively for all of their films once he retires.  Williams has also been seen talking to Chris Columbus and Oliver Stone about Giacchino's compositional prowess. :)

Oh. Where did you read that pile of bulldust?

I read that Williams has asked Spielberg and Lucas to use Giacchino exclusively for all of their films once he retires.  Williams has also been seen talking to Chris Columbus and Oliver Stone about Giacchino's compositional prowess. :)

Funny none of the rest of us has read that.

K.M.

Guys, I'm pretty sure he was joking, as shown by the smilie...

Yes, I was joking! I thought the little winky smile would have tipped everyone off. Apparently it just ticked a few off.

Giacchino is a great talent. But he's not at the level of Williams...yet. Remember that Williams was well into his 40's when he was writing JAWS, STAR WARS and the like.

Get Giacchino into that videogame concert they're putting on this year in California

Yeah I heard about that!!

Supposedly its gonne be a real major deal with composers from all over the world.

Its being setup by Tommy Tollarico I think. A VG music composer himself.